Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Hawks.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    You can only do what the game allows. And we were very good against a poor opponent. The percentage boost was very handy.

We were always going win that midfield battle. But Mills and Gulden were particularly good. The real joy however was at either end of the ground.

The sight of Blakey and Ollie carving up the Hawks was a delight. Blakey’s always been a beautiful kick, and Ollie could on his day, but he really had his groove on today. I also thought Campbell was very good again.

As for Logan and Joel, fantastic. Logan is going to be just elite. He’s really developing a big tank and the ability to go on long, searching leads up the ground and back, plus his field kicking is even better than his goal kicking. And I thought he started to show smarts and the benefit of increased strength in pushing off his man at just the right time, even allowing for the average nature of his opponents. To think, we’re only at the start of seeing what he can do. (A timely reminder to say thanks Paps for that final round of 2020). And that’s the game we’ve been hoping for from Joel. He’s had small bursts before but he was strong over three quarters. If his body stays in good shape and he gets an extended run at it, we’ll be Reid’s successor as a good marking forward who can play second ruck.

Also a shout out to Ladhams, who was good for the second week in a row. He has some tricks doesn’t he.

As for Hawthorn, they have a long road back. They simply don’t have enough elite young talent on their list, and only two draft picks this year. Harley Reid will be one hell of a player, but that ain’t enough. Clarko really screwed them by continuing to chase flags by trading high draft picks for players like Wingard and Mitchell after their flag window had clearly closed. Darks day ahead, and may the misery of their supporters be immense.
    Great analysis - you've said it all.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Loved the tribute to Barry Round with the #25 guernsey on the bench.

Does anyone know who the two men were that were talking to Longmire after the match? They went into the rooms when the players sang the song. Were they relatives of Round?

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

As for Hawthorn, they have a long road back. They simply don’t have enough elite young talent on their list, and only two draft picks this year. Harley Reid will be one hell of a player, but that ain’t enough. Clarko really screwed them by continuing to chase flags by trading high draft picks for players like Wingard and Mitchell after their flag window had clearly closed. Darks day ahead, and may the misery of their supporters be immense.
    Summed it up well re: the Hawks. Their young players tried hard, and they are trying to play a decent style of footy - but their young players are frankly bog average, with some exceptions such as Reid.

They've paid the price for overestimating their list chasing flags with Clarkson. Long may they rot - no doubt a call for priority picks won't be far away.

On another note, so great to see the club have Barry Round's number on the bench, and then in the centre of the song circle after the game. A giant for our club, and a giant that won't be forgotten.

Also very solid crowd - over 37K, really good turn out.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    I'm not sure how much to take from that game, against what was really no opposition to speak off. But I've sat through plenty of beltings at the hands of the Hawks over the years, so I'm happy to enjoy one the other way!

That said, it was a very enjoyable afternoon at the footy. Great conditions, big crowd, lots of families and kids enjoying it, great to see.

And so good to see young players taking their opportunity and making the most of it. Amartey coming into the side, and McDonald taking the key forward role in the absence of you-know-who. He looks much more confident than last season and I really felt today that the post-Buddy future looks very bright indeed.

Mostly good solid defence too, Tom McCartin very good today and he had one spectacular, never-give-up chase, ball win and disposal that had the whole crowd cheering.

A good first couple of weeks then, and perhaps something more of a test next week.
    Last edited by neilfws; 26th March 2023 at 09:34 PM.

Senior Player
    At the end of the game I noticed that Hayward seemed distressed and was limping.Does anyone know what the issue was?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Yes it was mentioned he was experiencing some Hamstring soreness.I have not heard about Hayward.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Struth! Only 36 posts for a home game against Hawthorn!!??? Was it a yawn fest?
    You're right it is a little quiet post wise, and it's not as if there isn't a lot to be very pleased with. The reverential approach to #25 for those that can remember, 9 goals from our two key forwards for those that can't, top of the table with a ludicrous percentage for the numerate, the Hawks belittled for the vengeful. The day had everything so I don't know why the thread is so quiet. Perhaps it's just the lack of #23? Or was it that the win was expected? Or did taking the gas off he pedal a bit in the fourth deflate tings? Or is it just that social media doesn't do positive all that well?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 27th March 2023 at 06:05 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Just to defend Kellie Underwood, we do have three sets of brothers at the club.
    McCartins, Warners and McVeighs.
    We do, maybe she got distracted before she could name all 3 sets?
    Definitely a possibility
    On the other hand she labelled Tom the elder brother last week.
    And this week she asked Gerard Healy for his memories of Barry Round seeing as their time at the Swans overlapped.
    She's still one of the best play by play AFL commentators, I just wish the ABD sports program she hosts didn't ignore AFL so much these days.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    You're right it is a little quiet post wise, and it's not as if there isn't a lot to be very pleased with. The reverential approach to #25 for those that can remember, 9 goals from our two key forwards for those that can't, top of the table with a ludicrous percentage for the numerate, the Hawks belittled for the vengeful. The day had everything so I don't know why the thread is so quiet. Perhaps it's just the lack of #23? Or was it that the win was expected? Or did taking the gas off he pedal a bit in the fourth deflate tings? Or is it just that social media doesn't do positive all that well?
    Sorry. I was at the game and was just enjoying it too much to get on my phone. Great crowd and atmosphere for a game against a likely spoon recipient.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    At the end of the game I noticed that Hayward seemed distressed and was limping.Does anyone know what the issue was?

I saw him walking through the new area in the Royal Hall of Industries and he didn’t look impeded. He stopped and took some photos with fans as he was walking (as did most players). Heeney had a decent egg on his forehead.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post

Watching on TV, it just looked like a wicked cramp. He was giggling 30 seconds later.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    That was another comprehensive win against poor opposition. The next 4 games will show us where we are. Hawthorn look like they are going to be in for some terrible hidings this year. The one observation is that McLean looked all at sea rucking around the ground and doesn't give us anything.

Not only a great win and against a team that have thrashed us so many times in the past, but I was also pleased with the crowd. For a game that perhaps was shaping as one sided it was terrific to see so many people at the game, plus the amount of red and white colour in the crowd was more that I have seen in many years.

Well done Sydney.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast