Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: the other games. So, just how crap are Geelong?

Round 3: the other games. So, just how crap are Geelong?

While there's been a certain amount of media interest in Clarkson coaching against his former club, the more interesting aspect of that game for me is, just how much suffering are the Hawthorn fans due this year? I mean, a thrashing by North and the general consensus is likely to be that it's going to be a very long season. A part of me quite likes that idea, but strangely, I think I prefer a Hawthorn win. That is, a convincing North win and we'll undoubtedly have more converts to the cult of Clarkson: which like any cult, might have some sort of initial appeal, but in the long term, tends to dissolve into a saga of recriminations, faction fights and madness, when people try to defend their hero, while it becomes more apparent that their hero has issues. So, is that what we really want for the AFL?
    Perhaps another interesting aside to the game is that it's being played in Tasmania. It seems that the AFL have realised that there should be a team in Tasmania, but they haven't realised that there's probably too many teams in Victoria. So, since both teams already have a presence in Tasmania, then perhaps a bit more spice can added to matches between the two? For instance, if the hypothetical timetable for a team to start in Tasmania is 2026, then every match between Hawthorn and North could count in their own league table, and whoever is behind at the end of 2025, has to permanently relocate to Hobart or Launceston. Sounds fair to me.

Anyway, tonight's match is between the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane. When starting this thread, I noticed that a heading from this time last season was, "Ooh, Mr Beveridge has just exploded". Which I assume refers to a press conference blow up from the Bulldogs coach. And I'm also assuming that there's a fair chance of another blow up, if they lose tonight. And those of you who've been reading my ramblings over the years, know that I wouldn't mind seeing the more temperamental coaches, being assisted to become even more temperamental.
    So, some suggested questions for tonight would be: "0 and 3, you've got no chance now, have you", "Dunkley was great tonight, wasn't he?" and "Do you think that you're still attracting negative karma from the 2016 grand final?"

The Friday night game is Collingwood v Richmond. Strangely, Richmond seemed to play better last week when Dusty was taken off. So, I guess there'll be some desperate Richmond fans, hoping that Dusty missing the whole game will improve their chances. Unfortunately for them, Hopper is also missing, so there's every likelihood that the Collingwood bandwagon will keep on rolling.

After the previously mentioned Hawthorn v North game, the other Saturday afternoon game is GWS v Carlton. A few years back, when I viewed GWS as the AFL's bloated, spoilt rotten, love child, I would've gone for their opposition in pretty well every game. But now, that affection seems to have been removed and their report cards document a troubling history of exam failures, so I'm starting to warm to them. So, go Giants.

Next up is St Kilda v Essendon. I suppose that St Kilda fans would have been feeling quite optimistic, after they overcame a very lengthy injury list to thrash the Bulldogs. But then it was announced, that arguably their most important player, Jack Steele, had broken his collarbone. Even I can see how cruel that is, so if Ross Lyon can keep his side winning, I might be tempted to take back all the nasty things that I've said about him in the past.

The other Saturday is the Adelaide showdown. Which I'm quite apathetic about, but I suppose a Port loss would be better for us.

The first Sunday game is Gold Coast hosting Geelong. The loser of this goes 0/3 and will be in a fair bit of early season trouble. Let us all hope that it is Geelong.

Next up, we play Melbourne. Strangely, the betting all week has had Melbourne as clear favourites. I might be biased, but I don't really understand that? Are they basing it on Melbourne being quite impressive after the lights went out and the game as a contest was well and truly over? Do they consider a clear loss against Brisbane to be better form than thrashing Hawthorn? Do they reason that the loss of Gawn is less of a disadvantage than the return of Franklin? Who knows.

The Western derby closes the round. Once again, I'm a touch apathetic about the result. I guess that a Fremantle loss would be better for us, but their fans aren't quite as the West Coast fans, so, again, who knows?

Thanks deja, entertaining and enjoyable intro!

After winning our own match the results I would most love to see are:

1. Gold Coast beat Geelong.
    2. Saints beat Essendon.
    3. Daylight
    4. More daylight
    5. Lions beat Dogs.

Don't much mind about the rest, but I might care if/when I start watching. I guess it could help if Collingwood get taken down a notch, then again I like the idea of them spending all their petrol tickets in the first half of the season.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Next up, we play Melbourne. Strangely, the betting all week has had Melbourne as clear favourites. I might be biased, but I don't really understand that? Are they basing it on Melbourne being quite impressive after the lights went out and the game as a contest was well and truly over? Do they consider a clear loss against Brisbane to be better form than thrashing Hawthorn? Do they reason that the loss of Gawn is less of a disadvantage than the return of Franklin?
    Melbourne is at home and has All Australian ruck in Grundy.

So they don’t figure Gawn being out will be a major issue. They have also won a recent premiership and there is still a suspicion by some that we won’t recover from the GF thrashing (first two games were not against top 8 sides so too early to tell).

Now if Steven May doesn’t get up on Sunday (he was listed as “Test”), then I can see the odds really closing, as he has nullified Franklin’s scoring quite well in recent games.

Veterans List
    With the newly arrogant Collingwood supporters getting into some fiesty crowd behaviour last week, I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the crowd and after the game.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks deja for starting us off again!

I sooo want the Lions to make the Poodles start to the year even worse! Go Brissy! Please!
    Don't care too much about Pies/Tigers as I dislike both but Collingwood are looking very, very good.
    Hate both Hawthorn and North so don't care.
    Giants to beat Carlton please!
    Don't really like Essendon but hate St.Kilda more so go Bombers.
    Ambivalent about Power/Crows.
    Would love to see the Suns beat Geelong.
    Ambivalent about the western Derby.

GO YOU MIGHTY BLOODS!

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Melbourne is at home and has All Australian ruck in Grundy.

So they don’t figure Gawn being out will be a major issue. They have also won a recent premiership and there is still a suspicion by some that we won’t recover from the GF thrashing (first two games were not against top 8 sides so too early to tell).

Now if Steven May doesn’t get up on Sunday (he was listed as “Test”), then I can see the odds really closing, as he has nullified Franklin’s scoring quite well in recent games.
    Sure, but I dunno? While I know that there's a trend of sides that get thrashed in the GF, not doing all that well next season, I wonder if it's any better for teams that went out in straight sets. Which happened to Melbourne last year, including a QF loss to us. Which was their second loss to us; both of which were at the MCG.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Watching the first quarter, both sides have popped some speed. All helter skelter, no method, just “aaaaaggggghhhhh”.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I think the more pertinent question is;

How crap are the Bullies. They are 17th for defensive actions, 17 for contested possession, 17th for pressure, their much vaunted mids have been demolished in 16th. You don't turn that around in 1 week generally. There are major problems. I think they are the most overrated side in the AFL. If things go their way the turn it on and pressure. If they don't then they fold. I think Lions, who have a similar problem with team defence, will smash them because they can score.

Hawks are crap but so are any side that has a drastic rebuild forced on them by a stupid coach who was trying to win the unwinnable 5th premiership by buying in dross. Gunston saw the writing on the wall and bailed. I wonder if anyone has ever called him Norman?

I think the Eagles win was a flash in the pan. GWS were as soft as butter and seemed off.

Saints are going very well, especially considering their injury toll. Ross has gotten them playing a decent brand of footy. In saying that the Bombers have been good.

I think Tigers are way overrated. Yes, they have a few stars and some talent but there is a huge gap between them and the next tier. They rely on everyone doing their job. If someone, a star or a soldier, do not perform it stuffs them completely and it only needs as little as one or two.

Cats a giving everyone a wedgie. I think they have a few injuries and are betting on them coming back at the right time. Hawkins is not the player he was and is having trouble finding fitness. That happens when your body gives out and you do not pre-season, ask Lance he missed a whole season because the coaches excused him from training. I'd love to see the Suns gut them like a fish but I can't see it

Freo or Eagles ho hum. Too far away to care. I suppose closer to me than you guys but still far too far in the only state with a KKK branch. I refused to visit after I heard that.

Power outage? Crow cull? Never mind.

GWS v Blues. The Blues have half of GWS playing for them anyway, the other half that is any good is ex Swans hehe. I mean, they could just call themselves the Sydney Blues. But if they don't get it done against the developing Migits then they are mugs.

As for us v The Dinner Plain (it's OK I'd never heard of this ski resort until now either) Dees well, we had better be on our toes. We need to bring INTENSITY. Our pressure has been off the dial. We need to maintain that pressure. We need to keep hitting players up. No @@@@ty mistakes in fumling the ball like last week. If we had not fumbled so much, night games there are excuses, we would have won by 200.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think the more pertinent question is;

How crap are the Bullies. They are 17th for defensive actions, 17 for contested possession, 17th for pressure, their much vaunted mids have been demolished in 16th. You don't turn that around in 1 week generally. There are major problems. I think they are the most overrated side in the AFL. If things go their way the turn it on and pressure. If they don't then they fold. I think Lions, who have a similar problem with team defence, will smash them because they can score.
    This isn't aging well.....even though I love the sentiment!

Dogs out pressuring and out scoring the Lions......for now. Let's hope they fall in a heap.

Senior Player
    I tipped the Lions to win by 22. They haven’t even scored 20 points by half time is not a good sign.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    The Poodles have been ordinary but Brisbane have been awful! Let's hope the Lions can rally in the second half and consign the Poodles to a 0 - 3 start to the season!

You'd think that with both Dale Thomas and Daisy Pearce in the commentary team, then the other commentators would resist the urge to call Thomas, Daisy. But no.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast