Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 v Richmond at the Adelaide Oval

Veterans List
    We have selected a line-up with no genuine key defenders.

Presumably, Mills will play as a key defender.

Gould is an emergency.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, we have Robbie Fox and Nick Blakey as key defenders. No knock on those two, but not ideal ….

Will be interesting to see if the Tigers throw a Balta forward to try to stretch us, but they ain’t exactly jam packed with key defenders themselves. Also interesting that Gould is named as an emergency, so it’s unlikely but a late switch may be on the cards yet.

Anyway, it’s time for our mids to step up and become contested ball beasts, and to get back the manic forward 50 pressure we were renowned for last year. It’s the best defence we have against such a thin backline. I hope Longmire starts Mills in the middle to win the ball rather than starting behind the ball to shore up things.

Crack in, then run. That’s the game plan.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Goes up to 11
    Very strange that our 3 key defenders are out yet Gould still can't get a game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    He's injured. I think the fact he's been named is just to fill the emergency list.

I think we just have to accept that if Richmond deliver the ball forward with fluency, their talls are going to mark.

The focus needs to be on limiting their supply via extreme pressure, and - hopefully - more effective use than last week in our own forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Not very strange when we know he is carrying an injury. Presumably leaving all options open as long as possible.

I have a feeling that Gould was put on the plane for a family visit, with no intention of playing him. But there is an alternate theory that he's a long shot to come up for the game, but we will keep the option open in case of a miracle recovery. There's no logic in having a fit Gould as the sub instead of the 22 when we are down so many key defenders.

I'll offer a 3rd theory: We may be down on height, but at least all our defenders have AFL experience in defence and we didn't want to throw an inexperienced Gould into the cauldron having the responsibility of being our sole key defender in his first game. I can see that kind of thinking as part of the Horse-logic repertoire.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I had a feeling we’d been left this short once before and was half right.

When we played the Tigers in 2020, we had basically zero true talls - McLean in the ruck and Blakey up forward. It was the match where Dimma mouthed off like a superior turd afterwards about our dour footy, even though it was his side clogging up the play.

Check out how short we were that day. At least we have a forward line this week.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Surely Gould will be the sub.
    I thought he was injured! If not, surely he should be in the team- can the Club please explain?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I have a feeling that Gould was put on the plane for a family visit, with no intention of playing him. But there is an alternate theory that he's a long shot to come up for the game, but we will keep the option open in case of a miracle recovery. There's no logic in having a fit Gould as the sub instead of the 22 when we are down so many key defenders.

I'll offer a 3rd theory: We may be down on height, but at least all our defenders have AFL experience in defence and we didn't want to throw an inexperienced Gould into the cauldron having the responsibility of being our sole key defender in his first game. I can see that kind of thinking as part of the Horse-logic repertoire.
    Your third option seems a plausible application of equine logic, but I'm not sure it explains Gould being named an emergency.

To cover the last resort if Robbie Fox injures himself at breakfast?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    The Footy Gods really don't like us this year! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, Rampe is out ☹.

Senior Player
    Cunningham very lucky.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The Footy Gods really don't like us this year! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, Rampe is out ☹.
    They probably dont wanna see a repeat of 2022

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast