Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd6 vs Geelong at GMHBA, Saturday 22 April, 7:25 PM (pre-match discussion)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I imagine Fox will be first choice for Cameron after the splendid job he did last time we played Geelong. Part of Cameron’s value is the way he works up and down the ground. I don’t think the coaches will want Blakey following wherever Cameron goes as it will take the only real height away from defensive 50.

There’s no one really to match up on Hawkins. I suspect Rampe will try, if he plays. If not, it might have to be a baptism of fire for Gould. He’ll probably lose contests against Hawkins, but I’m not sure Blakey would fare better. Hawkins creates most of his opportunities via brute strength, and via well timed leads where he uses his bulk to protect the drop zone.
    I think this is correct. Plus, I suspect Geelong will try to engineer Henry or Rohan (whoever is playing, haven’t looked) onto Blakey to take him away from the ball and play a bit defensively on him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Need to flog them in the midfield
    If they get it into their fwds as undermanned as we are, we are no chance

Not the first time a masterclass in Geelong is required

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    The Age is also reporting Heeney will miss out this week due to a neck injury
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the one hand, it's not looking good for us playing Geelong at the Cattery with so many injuries. On the other hand we are getting Geelong at a relatively good time, despite their recent wins. Overall, I don't like our chances this week.

I think liz is on the money with the match ups in our back half. Fox on Cameron is a no-brainer, although pretty much anyone is going to struggle matched up on Jezza. I think they'd have to consider calling up Francis, else why did we recruit him?? If they do call up Francis he and Gould could share the job on Hawkins according to who is having more success.

Assuming Amartey and Heeney are out and Buddy, both McCartins, Rampe and Melican remain unavailable then:

* would be great to get Hickey back but we can't rush him. Last week Damien Raper said he expected Hickey's "reintegration to full training and match play next week ".

* so bring in Francis and HHK as replacements for the outs.

We don't have many options.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    The Age is also reporting Heeney will miss out this week due to a neck injury
    There was a play in the third quarter where a Richmond player and he collided at an awkward angle and he was effectively head first into the Richmond player, and came away rubbing his neck as though he'd copped a stinger.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    There was a play in the third quarter where a Richmond player and he collided at an awkward angle and he was effectively head first into the Richmond player, and came away rubbing his neck as though he'd copped a stinger.
    He then proceeded to play his best quarter of the year thus far, characterised by some tough contests won.

That said, if he’s sore (possibly not just from that contact, I’d prefer he’s rested. I suspect a major reason for the gap between his sublime best and his somewhat anonymous games is because he often plays sore.

Replying to other comments in this thread, I don’t see the point of picking both Francis and Gould to double up on Hawkins. Just go with the better bet. Francis might come into consideration as a replacement for Heeney, if that’s required but I don’t think packing the team with all the medium sized defenders we have is the way to go. We just need to accept that if the Cats are allowed to dictate what happens in the middle of the ground, Hawkins is going to get opportunities and he’ll probably score goals. We won’t have a defender capable of winning 50/50 contests against him. I think the coaches need to pick the best combination they can to match the Cats in the middle, to run out of defence when we can, and to optimise our own forward forays.

Senior Player
    I imagine Fox will be first choice for Cameron after the splendid job he did last time we played Geelong. Part of Cameron’s value is the way he works up and down the ground. I don’t think the coaches will want Blakey following wherever Cameron goes as it will take the only real height away from defensive 50.

There’s no one really to match up on Hawkins. I suspect Rampe will try, if he plays. If not, it might have to be a baptism of fire for Gould. He’ll probably lose contests against Hawkins, but I’m not sure Blakey would fare better. Hawkins creates most of his opportunities via brute strength, and via well timed leads where he uses his bulk to protect the drop zone.
    The baptism of fire could be interesting. Gould is only a couple of kilos lighter than Hawkins and it will be interesting to see the positioning dual.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Replying to other comments in this thread, I don’t see the point of picking both Francis and Gould to double up on Hawkins. Just go with the better bet. Francis might come into consideration as a replacement for Heeney, if that’s required but I don’t think packing the team with all the medium sized defenders we have is the way to go. We just need to accept that if the Cats are allowed to dictate what happens in the middle of the ground, Hawkins is going to get opportunities and he’ll probably score goals. We won’t have a defender capable of winning 50/50 contests against him. I think the coaches need to pick the best combination they can to match the Cats in the middle, to run out of defence when we can, and to optimise our own forward forays.
    We could bring in Francis to replace Amartey in the forward line.

I can't see anyone who would be effective on Hawkins. We need to minimise the supply of ball coming into their forward line.

He then proceeded to play his best quarter of the year thus far, characterised by some tough contests won.

That said, if he’s sore (possibly not just from that contact, I’d prefer he’s rested. I suspect a major reason for the gap between his sublime best and his somewhat anonymous games is because he often plays sore.

Excellent analysis of the situation.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I haven't been particularly impressed by Francis in the VFL, but it's hard to shine given the quality of our side. Nonetheless, with Amartey out, Buddy either injured or in poor form and McLean a marginal player, Francis might be our best option to combine with McDonald at key forward.

I read somewhere that Heeney may be rested due to general soreness, but it's hard to keep him out. he often plays hurt.

I hope we keep Gould and Roberts in the 22 and we will see how injuries affect changes. I think Corey will be dropped, but not sure after that.

There's a chance Hickey might play and given our dearth of KPPs we could play both Hickey and Ladhams, as both are more than respectable playing forward. Good on Ladhams to get us through these 1st 5 weeks without Hickey. He deserves to keep his spot.

Stengle and Stanley will miss for Geelong
    Paddy, Tom, Rampe & Franklin all to miss again according to the injury report.

Tom Hickey did full training last week and will be doing competitive training this week. Melican another week away. If Francis comes in he goes back for mine.

Harry the only out other than Amartey. His form has been terrible. I think the end has come. Gould and Warner to stay, Francis in and maybe Rankin as sub?

Senior Player
    Can't see how Cunningham goes out. His defensive forward job has been ok and he provides experience. Clarke has only played one AFL game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Can't see how Cunningham goes out. His defensive forward job has been ok and he provides experience. Clarke has only played one AFL game.
    Horse basically made clear in his presser today given the length of Clarke’s injury and recovery they’d be looking to further harden him up in ressies. Same with Hickey.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast