Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

ANZAC round starts tonight in Perth with the Dockers hosting the Bulldogs. Luckily, Perth is the scene for some of the Bulldogs more traumatic recent performances. Such as the second half capitulation in the 2021 GF and losing last year's EF against the Dockers, after being 34 points in front at quarter time. So, there's every chance their supporters will be looking to drown their sorrows. Thoughtfully, some enterprising Dockers fans have brewed a beer for the occasion, inspired by their want away player Rory Lobb. It's called Lobster Tears and has been described as having a slightly salty, sour raspberry taste. Which of course, had me thinking what other AFL inspired beers could there be?

For instance, in tomorrow's game between the Power and the Eagles, Power fans could go for the Junior Rioli: which apparently is a tasty tropical lager with a curious mix of hops and herbs. While Eagles fans will probably need something stronger than the low alcohol Waterman, and instead go for the Gaff: a high alcohol belter that has you saying things that you shouldn't really be saying.

Another excessive ale is the Greene. While it has many tasty elements, it also packs both a punch and a kick, and is probably best consumed on a couch in western Sydney. For Lions fans there's the Daniher. While it's a beer that has many entertaining elements, its unfortunately high diuretic content leads to a certain amount of wild spraying.

For Geelong fans there's the Hawkins. Which is a somewhat agricultural stout, with overtones of wheat fields, shearing sheds and random violence. It's only available in slabs. At the other end of the scale is the Gulden, a brew that's only available in small bottles, but usually hits the spot.

The first Sunday game is between the Hawks and the Crows. The brew for Hawks fans is the Grainger-Barass: an old style pilsener blended with a liberal amount of Grange. Which is an expensive and foolhardy exercise, that somehow has the Hawthorn management thinking that they're now entitled to priority draft picks. Then there's the Dawson bitter ale. Originally brewed in Sydney, it has become very popular in Adelaide, but unfortunately has a sour aftertaste for many Swans fans.

Moving away from the craft beers is the Carlton Mid. Which is an ill-advised collaboration between CUB and Visy. Its shiny packaging and enthusiastic marketing usually has Carlton fans rushing to buy it early in the season. However, the longstanding mediocrity of the product, generally sees it disappear from the bottle shops by September.

Is that the time already? It must be beer o'clock!

Though it'd probably be remiss of me if I didn't mention the ANZAC day match between the Bombers and the Magpies. The Bombers have actually been good of late, so I suspect that the Magpie army might be reaching for a Ginnivan: a superficially attractive sparkling ale, that immediately and mysteriously goes flat when touched.

Veteran Site Admin
    Clever. Entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Clever. Entertaining.
    Ta, play along if you like.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant. I just can't believe you missed the obvious one on the Cats - the Bootlegger - an illegally-concocted rum, dating back to the prohibition era, strictly sold under the counter, and only able to be purchased via the exchange of brown paper bags.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Brilliant. I just can't believe you missed the obvious one on the Cats - the Bootlegger - an illegally-concocted rum, dating back to the prohibition era, strictly sold under the counter, and only able to be purchased via the exchange of brown paper bags.
    Yes, but I'm getting old, so I've just been sticking to beers.

So what are the Swans? Beaujolais Nouveau - an early-release wine bottled just 6-8 weeks after the grapes are picked?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    So what are the Swans? Beaujolais Nouveau - an early-release wine bottled just 6-8 weeks after the grapes are picked?
    Assuming that's a tasty young red: then, yes, but maybe it needs something white as well? A nice brie, perhaps?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I can’t believe it. An ump just paid a throw against Liberatore. I’m truly stunned.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I can’t believe it. An ump just paid a throw against Liberatore. I’m truly stunned.
    That, the Jones 50 and the 0-6 will already have Beveridge's temperature rising.

Of course, receiving charity frees in the goal square, usually improves a team's goalkicking accuracy.

Brilliant start to this thread consecutive weeks deja!!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Cant understand why the puppies get so many ?able free kicks, even some commentators are making comments about lucky free kick that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast