Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 v Giants at the SCG, 2.10pm Saturday 29 April (pre-game thread)

‘Longmire looked forlorn in his press conference. It's only April and the season is already done….’

Seems like it’s contagious and has travelled all the way to Thailand ! 😫

I was thinking the same thing. It's really me who is forlorn and disconsolate. I was too positive going into the season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Longmire looked forlorn in his press conference. It's only April and the season is already done. He detests the options he has available so much, he can barely bring himself around to mention their names. And if some magic pill doesn't emerge later this year, the bleeding could well spill into the next season and beyond. And just when things were looking so bright.

The only thing that might work is for the same injury curse that has befallen the Swans will spread like Covid across the competition. It seems to be happening. Now we can measure which team is sickest rather than which team is the best.

Can our players overcome the despondency that oozes from every pore of the head coach and play the game as if everything is just fine?

Just when we thought the rebuild was over, it's back on again. Will we have a team that is a legitimate challenger that we can cheer on from round to round or will we be reduced to complaining about the umpiring?

Two sick teams from Sydney will fight it out on Saturday in a game that will prove nothing for either, regardless of the result.

So it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And only a week earlier he was positively beaming with fatherlike pride after the Richmond win.

Things are never as good (in football, maybe in life) as they may seem but nor are they never as bad.
    I agree with the second post far more than I agree with the first....I don't think I've ever read a more pessimistic Ludwig post. Disappointing. A few injuries of players who WILL return (just maybe not Paddy soon or ever) and "it's all over, another rebuild' yada yada.....horribly negative and not something I relate to at all. Ludwig and Southern Swan15 should get together and lament the present and happily reminisce the good old days of 2021 and 2022 or the Roos years!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 26th April 2023 at 11:43 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Longmire looked forlorn in his press conference. It's only April and the season is already done. He detests the options he has available so much, he can barely bring himself around to mention their names. And if some magic pill doesn't emerge later this year, the bleeding could well spill into the next season and beyond. And just when things were looking so bright.

The only thing that might work is for the same injury curse that has befallen the Swans will spread like Covid across the competition. It seems to be happening. Now we can measure which team is sickest rather than which team is the best.

Can our players overcome the despondency that oozes from every pore of the head coach and play the game as if everything is just fine?

Just when we thought the rebuild was over, it's back on again. Will we have a team that is a legitimate challenger that we can cheer on from round to round or will we be reduced to complaining about the umpiring?

Two sick teams from Sydney will fight it out on Saturday in a game that will prove nothing for either, regardless of the result.

So it goes.
    You do have these moments occasionally Ludwig, where the towers of analysis, logic and reasoning crumble (for a moment) into rubble of doubt and pessimism.

Assuming you're referring to Monday's press conference, I think part of the issue was Longmire detesting being asked the same tedious questions he was asked in Saturday night, with little time having passed and the facts remaining the same.

I am not sure about conveying despondency to the players. In both the post match and Monday press conference, I think he probably gave an insight into the message he actually gave to the players: whoever plays, you've got to compete.

I'm sure it is annoying that he can't drop McInerney and Stephens when they're not performing at the level.

It also seems like there has been a bit of complacency in our leaders this year, which has also been annoying. Probably least of all from Rampe, which has made his loss significant. But surely they'll be shaken from that this week.

In terms of rebuild, I think we're down a key position player or two, right?

When fit, a backline of Tom McCartin, Rampe, Fox and Blakey is pretty good. Depth from there is terrible though.

In terms of forwards, we're thin when really McDonald and Amartey are the only ones who are should be best 22 next year from our current squad.

From a list management perspective, we probably expected more from Gould. Francis was an acknowledgement of doubt in that area, but that's looking more Sam Gray than Ted Richards. Himmelberg would be massive, but then we probably need to also be developing someone.

In any event, there are positives from even this mostly @@@@ty 6 weeks: Campbell has clearly developed and Blakey too.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I should also mention lowering the eyes and forwards to lead and avoid bombing to them- which has been the dumbest thing in our current circumstances!
    Absolutely right!

I've yelled at the set too often along the lines "don't kick it - pass it!" We are SO much better when we are moving instead of waiting.[/QUOTE]

The 3 culprits at holding onto the footy are Parker, Heeney and Jmac. They stand there, will I go, won't I go, stop and prop..."play on". Both Parker and Heeney stand too close to the man on the mark that doesn't allow for a hand pass to someone running past. It cuts down on disposal options. It drives me nuts. They rarely play on quickly which means their only option is to bomb it. As for Jmac, he seems to have lost it. Maybe they need to release him from being a defensive player.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    In a game like that, players like Hayward, Cunningham and Papley should be coming down the ground more to help the midfield.

Instead of playing an extra in defence from the midfield (Mills) we should have put an extra forward in the midfield to try and win the ball or at least congest the handball releases by their midfield.

If we are not getting forward 50s there isn’t much use in us having a forward structure. Even if their opponent comes with our forward into the midfield that still helps by creating space in their forward 50 for Logan and McClean to run and mark if we do get the ball.

Hayward for one is a good mark and runner and he could help in the midfield when the ball isn’t coming into the attacking 50. Plus he only needs to get one extra possession to increase his average output by 10%!
    I disagree on Hayward. His problem is he has "no" tank. It seems to me they use him as a player who fills space in the forward line, like when sides used the runner as a dummy player on the ground. If he has a tank then he is clearly running away from the play according to his stats. An average of a one tackle career average tells me he is not getting to contests and is rarely first to the footy.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    ... An average of a one tackle career average...
    Not acccording to this site: Will Hayward of the Sydney Swans Career AFL Stats
    He is slightly higher than Papley's career stats.
    Confirmed here https://www.afl.com.au/stats/compare...oId=CD_I996765
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Not acccording to this site: Will Hayward of the Sydney Swans Career AFL Stats
    He is slightly higher than Papley's career stats.
    Confirmed here AFL Stats - AFL.com.au
    My apologies. I should have been more specific. 1 tackle inside 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My apologies. I should have been more specific. 1 tackle inside 50.
    The trouble with Wilbur is that he runs hot or cold. When he’s on, he’s very good, but he is so inconsistent!
    A very good mark for his size, but he is capable of so much more. The coaches really have to help him to develop his game for 4 quarters- as a senior player he owes it to the team- and himself!

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    2013, 2015 and 2017 were all particularly hard years for injuries from memory? You need a lot to go right to make a GF. A bit early to write the season off but I agree there are always positives - I am looking forward to a fringe player nobody is expecting to make it to get a good run and become a lock in the best 22.
    Good call- I’m expecting that it could be HHK- though he’s not exactly fringe, but hasn’t played a game yet!

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I agree with MattW on this. When you have your 7 best tall’s all missing the game plan is totally disrupted, not to mention the experience they add to the team.
    I also think it is very unlikely we will see Paddy McCartin play again, but surely one of the reasons why we recruited Francis was to be a backup for that very scenario. Francis has played his best football as an intercept defender.

Experience and injury was the reason Fox and Clarke were rushed back, when normally they would have been given more time in the VFL team to regain match fitness.

It is not all doom and gloom, and no doubt the trading for draft picks last year was to position the club to be active in the trade period later in the year.

I should also add I read somewhere that Himilberg, I think via his manager, has indicated a preference to stay in Sydney for family reasons, and he would certainly be a good pick up.

Franklin, Reid, McCartin, McCartin, Fox, Rampe, Amartey, Hickey. It's a staggering list of injured players who are either tall or play tall (Fox). Very few teams can be mildly successful with that injury list. Based on our finals best 22 last year that includes #1 & #2 key forwards, #1 ruck, and #1, #2, #3, and #4 key defenders. That's the equivalent of Geelong losing Cameron, Hawkins, Stanley, Stewart, De Koning, Jack Henry, and Kolodjashnij.

I cannot believe that GWS are paying $3.90 to our $1.26 in this game.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast