Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 9 - Pre Match List - vs Fremantle at SCG at 1:45 PM, Saturday 13 May 2023

I think we have to persevere with Francis- he needs a run of games to gain confidence which makes a huge difference when kicking for goal. Plus he can be swung to defence when needed, though as some said he is a bit slow, but as he reads the play well, this may still work.

Otherwise, why on earth did we recruit him? Surely not for the VFL!😊

Francis speed is surely on par with Paddy who we need to replace in defence, reckon he is best suited back there, especially if we play Hickey with Ladhams.

Our fwd line shortcomings are exaggerated by our kicking for goal.

Buddy wont get dropped, he is with us for the year, just needs to be utilised and told to play within himself.

Clarke is required for Frederick I reckon and he has been good.

If Hickey plays they wont drop Mclean, id say Francis stays sub.
    Be good to see if Mclean can run with Jackson

Stephens for Sheather
    Hickey for Cunningham

Francis surely must go. Isn’t up to it.

Stephens and Hickey in for Sheather and Francis. Gus Sheldrick as the sun.

Cunningham butchers the ball but is important defensively so must stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Francis surely must go. Isn’t up to it.

Stephens and Hickey in for Sheather and Francis. Gus Sheldrick as the sun.

Cunningham butchers the ball but is important defensively so must stay.
    Francis, like any new player, needs a run of games to assess and get used to a new team. What’s the point of chopping and changing from week to week? This year we ain’t challenging, though of course we want to win every game. We have McLean who can play ok but we all know his limitations and he has been given a decent go- though hopefully can still improve.

Like I said before, what was the point in trading him in if he’s playing VFL? He’s a very good mark, which is something we need. Let’s play him for a few games, same with Gus. And if Paddy needs to retire, who do you suggest could play there? The Pelican is coming back from another injury and it’s only a matter of a game or two (sadly) before he’s injured again. At this stage we have no one else I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Francis, like any new player, needs a run of games to assess and get used to a new team. What’s the point of chopping and changing from week to week? This year we ain’t challenging, though of course we want to win every game. We have McLean who can play ok but we all know his limitations and he has been given a decent go- though hopefully can still improve.

Like I said before, what was the point in trading him in if he’s playing VFL? He’s a very good mark, which is something we need. Let’s play him for a few games, same with Gus. And if Paddy needs to retire, who do you suggest could play there? The Pelican is coming back from another injury and it’s only a matter of a game or two (sadly) before he’s injured again. At this stage we have no one else I can think of.
    I see it as not much different to us brining in Lewis Taylor, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

We have Hickey to come back and I would rather drop Francis than McLean. If McLean is given a good run as a pure forward with no ruck, I think he will perform well.

If Buddy is a given to play this year plus a resting ruckmen plus 2 high marking smalls in Heeney and Will, plus a developing young tall in Logan im not sure why Francis is in that fwd line.

Our tall defensive stocks are decimated, if he plays back there he releases one of Ollie, Blakey or Campbell.

That all seems very obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I see it as not much different to us brining in Lewis Taylor, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

We have Hickey to come back and I would rather drop Francis than McLean. If McLean is given a good run as a pure forward with no ruck, I think he will perform well.
    McLean is a far better kick.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    McLean is a far better kick.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Ok- so are you saying that McLean should move to defence? I think we need a tall there in Ramps absence, so it could be him or Francis. If big Tom is ready to come in, Ladhams plays 2nd ruck and relieves McLean to go back. My preference is to persevere with Francis for a few games though.

Wow just read Robbo in The Tackle
    Heeney is 7.7 from 21 shots on Goal

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Wow just read Robbo in The Tackle
    Heeney is 7.7 from 21 shots on Goal
    Even if he’d scored a few points with those other shots we’d be 5:3. Our goal kicking this season has been extraordinary…in the bad sense of the word.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    If Buddy is a given to play this year plus a resting ruckmen plus 2 high marking smalls in Heeney and Will, plus a developing young tall in Logan im not sure why Francis is in that fwd line.

Our tall defensive stocks are decimated, if he plays back there he releases one of Ollie, Blakey or Campbell.

That all seems very obvious to me.
    Agree. He’s a good mark and reads the ball well, but is a lousy kick for goal. He needs to go back and free up Blakey for a bit more run out of the backline.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He did take the best two contested marks in our forward line yesterday. And the worse of the two missed conversions was still only the second worst miss of the afternoon (after Ladhams on half-time).
    Missed by......that much, twice.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast