Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel - Match Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I was at the game. He's not right. Labouring when he runs.
    Looked like had the flu. He appeared to have little energy. It will be interesting to see his TOG.

Norf have a very Fitzroy feel about them. A mess off the field.
    We should target their players for trades.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Our inexperienced players did not cause this. It was our experienced blokes who did. I thought Francis, Gould, Stretch, even Sheldrick when he came on were good. Where we were losing it was not with them it was with the coach.

Horse has been beaten constantly by Clarkson for a reason. Clarkson gets his players to put in 5 minutes of super effort and Horse reacts the same way every time. Put a man back. That leaves us short at the fallof the ball. Our best attribute as a team is one on one footy but Horse seems unable to realise this. He is too quick to take the bait and we almost always lose.

He is too slow to react when something is not working. Ratten was not coaching today. That was a coaching lesson from Clarkson. Horse always falls for Clarkson's burst ploy. The thing he seems to forget that with man on man that is not sustainable. But if we stick one back then they have advantage at stoppages with the extra man so players tire less and our mids tire faster playing an extra player. This is called the sicker move and instead of reacting I'd like to see Horse maintain the formation.

Unfortunately Horse is predictable and almost lost us the match through his stupid defensive tavtice. It wasn't the young players who almost lost us the match, it was the old coach. I do not think he can take us forward. He is too set in his ways and herefuses to change. There was a hot discussion he was having with, I presume it was Cox, at one stage and then the player went back.

We are limping into the bye. Lose today and we really would have been a laughing stock. We might still be as the opinion will be we only won on a technicality. I think we would have kicked a goal anyway. But to nearly get beaten by one of the three laughing stocks of the AFL is embarrassing. No it is not about personal, they had as many out as we did. It is about game plan and execution. The players totally lack confidence and therefore belief. The coaches message is no longer getting through. Even with all players back it might not improve much. Horse has, by his actions and words in pressers, told the players he does not trust them!

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    A coach inspired, deliberate 5 minute burst. Never heard of that before.. ...Clarkson is a genius.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    So he's here to kick fans of the club when they are down,?
    Barry....don't start. It's a forum, we don't always agree. If you think I'm kicking 'fans' when they're 'down', we have a real problem.

BTW, forum rhymes with decorum. That's not aimed at you either.

Veterans List
    We've been ordinary at centre bounces in too many recent seasons. Puts our defence under the pump and when we get one, it is often ineffectual.
    It was 7/7 at half time on centre clearances. I too was at the game and was aghast how easy Simpkin strolled out of the guts unattended in the second half. So what was happening in the guts? Rowbottom was intent on blocking and bumping his opponent and had no idea where the ball was going, Chad Warner had Wardlaw on Right Hand Side that caused him to run to the left and whoever was supposedly on Simpkin was asleep at the wheel. It didn't matter which ruck got the tap, he read it when no one else did. There is something very wrong in there. Even when at first instance the ball was in dispute they won the secondary clearance. In fact the stats were way more damning than it looks. By the way, Stephens is a very good reserves player.
    In the last 10 minutes Chad dragged us over the line.

Veterans List
    A coach inspired, deliberate 5 minute burst. Never heard of that before.. ...Clarkson is a genius.
    Yeah, that one intrigued me too.

Also, I could have sworn that was Ratten in the coaches box today.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Actually Danzar, I didn't say that. I think it was i'm-uninformed2.....all good.
    Whoops! You seem to be the topic at the moment.

On that front, can you and @WASwan (and anyone else) please please move on and fight another day, ideally not for a long time, thanks. We'll need to start modding otherwise.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Norf have a very Fitzroy feel about them. A mess off the field.
    We should target their players for trades.
    Yeah- let's kick them when they are down.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Whoops! You seem to be the topic at the moment.

On that front, can you and @WASwan (and anyone else) please please move on and fight another day, ideally not for a long time, thanks. We'll need to start modding otherwise.
    Fair enough Danzar....but still, it is a forum.....there's bound to be some to-ing and fro-ing after a loss. Oh wait....we won! Yey!!

Opti-pessi-misti
    It was really good to get a win especially for the players who gave it their all, and especially in the last quarter. However I am dismayed at the way we are playing. Despite our injury list we have some very good players still on the field.

The set up at centre clearances, how many times were the Roos players able to waltz away with the ball because of the positioning of our mids, throw up after throw up, and no adjustments were made. Its like the opposition take one term to work out our game plan/strategies but we make no adjustments, like as some have already noted, we always send extra players back and clog up the back line but have no one or one player up forward. By doing this we ensure the exhaustion of our mids by the last quarter, as has already been commented on, and down back we have players all looking at each other trying to work out who fills what space or takes which player, all while the opposition marks and kicks a goal? I think our game plan and the dogged adherence to it whether it is working for our players or not, is letting the players down, especially the relatively experienced ones.

My other gripe is players so often running to fill a space when they could keep their eye on the ball and sometimes stop an opposition player or mark the ball themselves. I think that is what Rowie was doing when the ball was kicked to him in the forward line. he was already turning to run back to the goals instead of trying to take a mark or make a spoil.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

The Francis kick to Sheezel, who fortunately missed, was our only big error.
    What about Errol in the 2nd? quarter kicking from the left back pocket across the goal face to a North player?

That was just too aggressive.

Very lucky they missed as it was near right in front only about 35 meters out.

I am happy we won, and to see McAdams do well on his debut, plus Parker having a few great games in recent times. Also hope it does wonders for team confidence going forward.

But with the injury to Ladhams and the future, maybe we are better off finishing low (without tanking) to get good draft picks to bundle up a trade with West Coast for Sheezel.

Veteran Site Admin
    If you don't agree with someone else's post, your two options are

1) Ignore
    2) Courteously respond with why you don't agree.

Complaining about the tone of someone else's post, suggesting they don't know what a forum is for, or aren't a supporter, or haven't watched the match are (amongst others) not valid responses.