Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel - Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    We have changed from a contested ball team to an outside run fwd, overlap run.

We can be good when we have it in hand but just terrible at getting it.

Kinda makes sense that we scored so heavily last year from defensive half, thats the main part of the ground we win it with Ramps and Mcs in the side

There isnt a person in the other thread talking about the midfielder we are missing for next year, all the talk is about the KPP depth we need to firm up, so again, our midfield/clearance coaches need a good look at themselves. Not just the centre bounce, not just the stoppages, when the ball is on the ground, we are terrible
    Agree here. I think we've been missing that player for some time and did not plan for life after Joey Kennedy well at all.

If you look at all of the really top sides, they all have big bodied clearance bulls on their lists. This is an area we could have tried to address at the trade table or draft for the last few years but chose to ignore it for whatever reason?

Players like Constable, Brodie, and a few others have been available for cheap but I guess we weren't interested? Who knows? But I feel that it's an area we sorely lack in and get beat up week in, week out due to our smaller midfield brigade other than Mills, who often gets played anywhere but the midfield it seems... lol.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Agree here regarding Clarke and the team over handballing. I said this last week too, we have this constant play on at all costs and play fast style that I'd obviously a game plan that has been directed by the coaches. It obviously looks fantastic when things are going well, but I think the players need to know when to go and when not to go and are struggling big time with that fact at the moment. Injuries are also playing a part and maybe we actually don't have the cattle to play this game style at the moment?

Its been said before, Campbell needs to be told to kick when he can.....also needs to be sheparded etc and the team needs to talk him into kicking it as well,not running off for handpasses

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Anyone got thoughts on McInerney's game? When he got the ball he was like a catholic outside the chemist shop; got the pill and didn't know what to do with it. And what was this tapping the ball in the air at a contest instead of taking the footy. If they called them a stat he would have appeared to have had a blinder. He appears to be playing bruise free footy.
    I thought it was Mac's best game for the season. Looked to me that he has his confidence back.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It was 7/7 at half time on centre clearances. I too was at the game and was aghast how easy Simpkin strolled out of the guts unattended in the second half. So what was happening in the guts? Rowbottom was intent on blocking and bumping his opponent and had no idea where the ball was going, Chad Warner had Wardlaw on Right Hand Side that caused him to run to the left and whoever was supposedly on Simpkin was asleep at the wheel. It didn't matter which ruck got the tap, he read it when no one else did. There is something very wrong in there. Even when at first instance the ball was in dispute they won the secondary clearance. In fact the stats were way more damning than it looks. By the way, Stephens is a very good reserves player.
    In the last 10 minutes Chad dragged us over the line.
    Thanks for enlightening us on the midfield Nico. I was watching on TV and could not work out wtf was going on that allowed Norf to just waltz out of the midfield so easily. I guessed that negativity had taken over and the ball had become a secondary consideration to our guys, which appears to be the case.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Agree here regarding Clarke and the team over handballing. I said this last week too, we have this constant play on at all costs and play fast style that I'd obviously a game plan that has been directed by the coaches. It obviously looks fantastic when things are going well, but I think the players need to know when to go and when not to go and are struggling big time with that fact at the moment. Injuries are also playing a part and maybe we actually don't have the cattle to play this game style at the moment?

+1

Veterans List
    Hindsight drafting always picks the right players LOL

Haven't looked at the stats but just watching the game I reckon we've lost most of the key ones but came away with a W, the win flattered us

Had a read of the Norf BF Autopsy thread, some seriously disturbed foaming at the mouth mental cases among their supporter base - and we wonder why the mindless booing doesn't stop? Have a read of that BF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    A few random thoughts.
    The best of Stephens is very good but it hasn't been evident too often this year. I still think he needs to play and hopefully he will find form. I also want to see Gould, Francis, McAndrew and Sheldrick play a lot of games between now and season's end. It'll be good insurance for the future. An assessment can be made at the end of the year on how they are tracking.
    Feel for Gould and Francis. Have been thrown to the wolves to a large degree, being asked to perform big roles in the shell of a backline. Hardly an ideal introduction having no other key position support back there, particularly with the ball coming in as frequently as it does.
    Papley's timing and execution are out at the moment. I reckon give Sheldrick a full game playing mostly in the centre. This might help with our centre clearance output, and Papley starts as sub. He could be quite damaging when the opposition is tiring, and maybe he can play his way back into form. Up against a couple of good midfields in the next two weeks though. We need to work that out.
    I love watching both Warner and Rowbottom, but I reckon Warner's defensive skills need some tweaking, whereas Rowie's attacking side needs a bit of work. This could tilt the clearance work back in our favour as well.
    +1 on all this
    I also agree about Chad's need to be better defensively. Perhaps take a lead out of the way Guden and Blakey tackle. So often i think Chad puts pressure and does a little tap of his opponent rather than committing to a tackle. It's like he's playing touch football in defence. It's so exasperating. Maybe also watch Dangerfield for inspiration.
    I realise he stays in his feet and that's what makes him so good attacking wise but every now and then just go through with a full hearted ball and all tackle. He's always a split second late but if he just committed and laid a few tackles he'd get there before the ball was gone .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Hindsight drafting always picks the right players LOL

Haven't looked at the stats but just watching the game I reckon we've lost most of the key ones but came away with a W, the win flattered us

Had a read of the Norf BF Autopsy thread, some seriously disturbed foaming at the mouth mental cases among their supporter base - and we wonder why the mindless booing doesn't stop? Have a read of that BF thread.
    They started booing the umpires about two minutes in. There are a section that gather on the half forward flank on the far side of the ground from where the cameras are with North kicking to the left of scree. I was at the game and the feral nature is akin to the fans in front of the Collingwood social club at Victoria Park back in the old days. Won them a couple of frees.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I seriously think if the AFL did a holistic view of whether north and their fans are worth keeping in the comp, they cons outweigh the pros. They, along with Hawthorn are racist to the core, and they did a great job of trying to disrupt indigenous round this weekend with their coaches (and supporters) antics.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Having trouble with "reply with quote" but fully agree with the recent assessments of Norf supporters by 707, Blood Fever and barry.

The Norf ferals practiced their already well developed booing skills throughout Goodesy's last game and were at it again all through the game yesterday.

With some clubs, I might have been a little embarrassed about that final goal for us yesterday but not with Norf. In fact, winning like that against the ferals has actually made our success more enjoyable for me.

GO BLOODS!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Stephens over Serong will always be a huge blemish for KB.
    A die hard interstate Swan that would have been easy to convince to stay.

Got too smart and looks a fool for that one.
    Hey waswan, I'll agree with you on that one. To this day I do not know why we did not snap up Serong.

Veterans List
    To those saying this was a hollow win and we had no right to snatch it....you have a point but....a win is a win and it is better than losing and to snatch it against those sooky booing Norf Neanderthals makes it sweet as if you ask me.

I'm happy as. I know it might be a long season ahead but let's get real, it has been an extremely unlucky one....I reckon we'll fight on now and have some pleasing wins. We're still only a game out of the eight.

Next year, watch out.