Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 14 vs Brisbane Lions at the GABBA, 5:50PM Friday 16 June

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Swans players will wear black arm bands this week in memory of those killed in the horrific Hunter Valley bus crash.

From this article, Swans had links to the local footy team and in particular one of the young women who died was selected to represent the Sydney Swans in the Women’s Summer Series round.

So very very sad.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...13-p5dg60.html
    Beyond tragic for all connections . You can’t stop thinking about them .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Beyond tragic for all connections . You can’t stop thinking about them .
    Such a tragedy, and so preventable. What was the driver thinking?? Now he has to live with this for the rest of his life. Words can’t express- those poor families!❤️

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I remember in our round 1, 2021 bash up of Brisbane, we regularly played through him. I think he was notionally on Errol, who made a mockery of him on debut. Good sides have been doing it ever since.

I too would like to see a Buddy-Rich match up, mainly because it’d allow a clever commentator to make a reference to arguably the most influential drummer to have ever lived.
    "Lance, who of course bought a fancy pad just down the road from here because thanks to that 10 year contract he's pretty Buddy Rich."
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Arnold making his debut against his former side? Could be a stroke of genius.
    I think so. He apparently matches up well on all of them.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I really don’t see the value in Wicks at the moment. In fairness he has returned from quite a lengthy injury so maybe 1 more week. The trouble is, I’ve never rated him as his better games were few and far between. To build a top team we need more skilful players in our forward line- basically multiple, consistent goal kickers so that our attack becomes unpredictable.

Look at Carlton- 2 elite forwards and the rest are bang average. A great recipe to lose games.
    Owies is probably the third player with anything that looks like talent but is not consistent.

I like what Wicks did in his first year. If he could get back to some of that form I'd be happy.

We can't kick a score at the moment. Our scores in our last 5 matches are:

93 (North)
    86 (lost)
    We kicked 106 against GWS and still lost
    The week before 37 against Cats

We look as consistent as a politician backtracking.

At the moment we are not Matti Nykanen but Eddie The Eagle on an downhill run to nowhere. We need to change things up and get belief back. The North or Carlton wins did nothing. They are bottom sides.

We need belief and we need to be able to execute. We have had disposal problems all year. Whoever is our skills coach I have one word for them: DON'T. Whoever it is is hopeless as even players who have a really good disposal record are stuffing it up. Leave Gulden alone whoever is stuffing round with his kicking action. He has the perfect kicking style.

We need to concentrate on skills this week.

Veterans List
    John much more on top of things today. Seemed buoyed by Mills and McCartin participating at training. Also,came across as quietly excited about Buller and Arnold.

"We need to make sure we finish off really strongly" - Longmire

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Owies is probably the third player with anything that looks like talent but is not consistent.

I like what Wicks did in his first year. If he could get back to some of that form I'd be happy.

We can't kick a score at the moment. Our scores in our last 5 matches are:

93 (North)
    86 (lost)
    We kicked 106 against GWS and still lost
    The week before 37 against Cats

We look as consistent as a politician backtracking.

At the moment we are not Matti Nykanen but Eddie The Eagle on an downhill run to nowhere. We need to change things up and get belief back. The North or Carlton wins did nothing. They are bottom sides.

We need belief and we need to be able to execute. We have had disposal problems all year. Whoever is our skills coach I have one word for them: DON'T. Whoever it is is hopeless as even players who have a really good disposal record are stuffing it up. Leave Gulden alone whoever is stuffing round with his kicking action. He has the perfect kicking style.

We need to concentrate on skills this week.

You’re spot on there Wolfie! It’s a bit ironic that it was reported that the team commenced preseason training concentrating on skills! We certainly haven’t seen much of that this year: field kicking missing targets, handballs to teammates under the hammer, dropping marks and diabolical kicking for goal. Otherwise not too shabby………

Re: Wicks. Yes, he had a good season. Mind you, I didn’t rate him even then, but people said he had a role to play so I will go along with that. But since then he has been a passenger at best and a liability at worst.
    We simply need better if we are to make top 4 regularly and give ourselves a chance for a flag. There are 6 forwards and they need to score better than shown in your post, and to do that they need a thing called TALENT. Unfortunately Wicks (and Clarke) don’t show enough of this with any consistency.

Not a wicks fan but showed enough against Carlton to warrant selection.
    Cant judge him on Saints game when the ball didnt go fwd.

At most we can play 2 of Harry, Clarke and Wicks, too defensive.

Id play Stephens ahead of all 3 in any of their roles too.

Let Rowy and Angus chase their own ball and we may even be able to push fwd

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    "Lance, who of course bought a fancy pad just down the road from here because thanks to that 10 year contract he's pretty Buddy Rich."
    The old fella still has it, folks.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston stand down indefinitely (sen.com.au)
    The players approached the Brisbane coach and felt they were not playing well enough to warrant selection. They will be training with the side but not playing competitive football.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston stand down indefinitely (sen.com.au)
    The players approached the Brisbane coach and felt they were not playing well enough to warrant selection. They will be training with the side but not playing competitive football.
    Classy. How many players are solid enough citizens to do that? Always liked Daniel Rich. If only we had a few guys who could
    kick as well as him.

Senior Player
    Buller is in and has already signed a contract extension!!!

Great news

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast