Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 14 vs Brisbane Lions at the GABBA, 5:50PM Friday 16 June

On the Rookie List
    If it is Heeney, hopefully they give him sufficient time off to recuperate, not a token week. He hasn't been himself this year and I doubt whatever injury he has (assuming he has one) can be sorted in one week.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Heeney is also out but the key forward is Buddy

Those two plus Clarke are out. Parker and Buller in with Amartey coming into the starting 22

Arnold McAndrew Warner Stephens the emergencies

Nothing surer than Longmire describing a new player as a competitor

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Heeney is also out but the key forward is Buddy

Those two plus Clarke are out. Parker and Buller in with Amartey coming into the starting 22

Arnold McAndrew Warner Stephens the emergencies
    Happy with the changes- may as well throw young Buller in now rather than later. Heeney needs a good rest as does Bud. Dyl or Corey as sub, but it would be amazing if young Arnold were to get the job!

Veterans List
    May as well give Buller a taste of senior speed, pressure and the best defenders and just see how he goes. Ran out of puff in the ressies but won't have to spend as much time on ground tomorrow night.

Lose tomorrow and we're definitely gone so need to make use of the rest of the season like it's a prelude to 2024. Soon be time to put players out for "off season" surgeries early, try the most promising of the young players like Arnold if he shows well at ressie level, try players in other positions, like Stephens at CB's

When do the ressies play?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

When do the ressies play?
    Saturday morning. Top of the table vs very-nearly-bottom-of-the table.

Without our "new found structure" up forward, likely to be a smashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    You’re spot on there Wolfie! It’s a bit ironic that it was reported that the team commenced preseason training concentrating on skills! We certainly haven’t seen much of that this year: field kicking missing targets, handballs to teammates under the hammer, dropping marks and diabolical kicking for goal. Otherwise not too shabby………

Re: Wicks. Yes, he had a good season. Mind you, I didn’t rate him even then, but people said he had a role to play so I will go along with that. But since then he has been a passenger at best and a liability at worst.
    We simply need better if we are to make top 4 regularly and give ourselves a chance for a flag. There are 6 forwards and they need to score better than shown in your post, and to do that they need a thing called TALENT. Unfortunately Wicks (and Clarke) don’t show enough of this with any consistency.

I think one of the problems is relying too much on a 36 yo fading star. Even though he is probably one of the greatest players to play the game he is now past his best by date. To go to him on average 52%of the time is astounding and a waste of good footy.

If we are to score our forward line needs to be diverse to be dangerous. We need to also have a synergy between mids and forwards, which has been truly missing since Joel and Logan got injured. The last time they played together they kicked 9 between them. We kicked over 100 points and looked truly dangerous. Even with players back and talls back we do not look dangerous because we spray the ball all over the park.

I don't know what they did in those skills sessions, maybe sat around and discussed the science of skills? But for all the good it has done they should have spent it getting fit. Our game plan relies on high fitness levels and we just don't have that. So players get run down or the next player in the chain is just not there because he ran out of gas. Solution please? Increased Fitness programs might help?

As for this match, I think the ins are good. It is good that players who have been ill or carrying injury are out. Buller might just straighten us up like Amartey does.​ I hope the young guy has a great debut

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftone57; 15th June 2023 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston stand down indefinitely (sen.com.au)
    The players approached the Brisbane coach and felt they were not playing well enough to warrant selection. They will be training with the side but not playing competitive football.
    At least they did the right thing by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Is it wrong to say I hope Buddy is the one to miss?
    No. He has not exactly been lighting up the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    If it is Heeney, hopefully they give him sufficient time off to recuperate, not a token week. He hasn't been himself this year and I doubt whatever injury he has (assuming he has one) can be sorted in one week.
    One of the problems he had last year, that was still bothering him early in the season, was a bruised foot. If you continue to train and play on bruising, especially if it is bone bruising, you risk exacerbating the problem.

Last edited by wolftone57; 15th June 2023 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Happy with the changes- may as well throw young Buller in now rather than later. Heeney needs a good rest as does Bud. Dyl or Corey as sub, but it would be amazing if young Arnold were to get the job!
    They have a very tall forward line with Forte coming in so Arnold might get an early call up.

Senior Player
    Heeney delayed concussion, Franklin sore knee: Round 14 Team Selection, presented by QBE - YouTube

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast