Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 - vs West Coast Eagles at SCG, 4:35 PM, Saturday 24 June 2023

Senior Player

Rnd 15 - vs West Coast Eagles at SCG, 4:35 PM, Saturday 24 June 2023

Sorry for the delay in posting this - looks like the team selection for this round has been a hot topic judging by the number of posts on the matter in the Rnd 14 match thread.

So Wicks is clearly out (of his mind) and we have five senior players who were recently injured who trained and should be available for section: Mills, Heeney, T McCartin, McDonald and Franklin.

If Tex can kick 10 on the Eagles, surely it would be wonderful to see Franklin wind back the clock and match or exceed the eight he kicked against the Eagles in 2018. I watched that match (on the telly) and it was a glorious display.

So who comes in?

I would imagine Longmire would put all five of the players back.

Thinking:

Mills in for Sheldrick or McInerney
    Heeney in for Wicks
    Tom McCartin in for Francis
    McDonald in for Buller
    Franklin in for Hayward, Clarke, or if that is too tall, then McLean is the unlucky out.

So my ins:

Mills, Heeney, Tom McCartin, McDonald and Franklin

My outs:

McInerney, Wicks, Francis, Buller and Hayward.

But Hayward as someone else has postulated, probably has compromising pics of Longmire so will stay in the team and McClean will probably be omitted instead.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    The way the season is panning out, we should only bring back fully fit players. If there is any doubt, then rest them an extra week (or two).
    Although, this week would almost be like coming back through the 2's

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 20th June 2023 at 10:23 AM. Reason: auto-correct
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    McDonald is apparently still a couple of weeks away.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Let's not get complacent, Norf was getting thrashed by everyone last year and this year but in both those games we were lucky and extremely lucky to escape with a win.

So WC has been thrashed by everyone so far this year except for their single win in round 2 against GWS by 19 points in Perth - yes, I had to look it up LOL

I doubt the MC will bring back all those players at the one time given some have had substantial lay offs.

Heeney has only missed one so he's a likely if fit, Franklin likewise will return if ok but on the down side will run into a returning Barrass. Of the longer term injuries, Mills is the one I reckon they'll definitely bring in.

Suspect Tom Mc and Logan McDonald will be given a VFL run with restricted minutes.

Out: Wicks, Clarke, Buller In: Heeney, Mills, Franklin
    Last edited by 707; 20th June 2023 at 09:01 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Clarke wasn’t in the team last week so he can’t be an out.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Clarke wasn’t in the team last week so he can’t be an out.
    Thanks Liz- I started to doubt my sanity when I saw 707 post that!
    As Mal said, Wilbur has led a charmed life as he has something on Horse that keeps him in no matter what😊
    Outs: Wicks, Francis, JMac, Hayward
    Ins: Mills, Buddy, Isaac, Dyl.
    Sub: Corey

Play McLean in the backline.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Play McLean in the backline.
    An interesting idea. Given the weakness of the opponents, this could be an opportunity to play one or two players in different positions. Playing McLean in defence is worth trying. Many of our best defenders in the past 20 years were recruited as forwards. McLean could be next, but we won't know if we don't try.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    The easy the station is panning out, we should only bring back fully fit players. If there is any doubt, then rest them an extra week (or two).
    Although, this week would almost be like coming back through the 2's
    It seems more like a mid-season practice match.

I agree that players should only return if fully fit. If they need to pass a fitness test before selection, they should be rested another week or play in the VFL.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Surely the obvious move for Longmire is Mills to defence?

Does Hayward really need to be dropped, in which case he makes if Heeney is able to return with concussion protocols etc?

Hope the Wombat stays in? And that Buddys knee needs another week?

Waiting for news on the injury front. One near certain change is Heeney in for Wicks. Other comments to this point:
    • McLean to defence is a good idea, but doubt it will happen, since I'm the only one who has suggested this. I don't think the coaches are planning on this move, just yet. In any case, the time to do would be when McDonald and Amartey are both fit and playing.
    • Franklin is our worst key forward. I would even put him behind Buller. At least Buller stopped Andrews from intercept marking. I don't mind Franklin as the sub, but playing Franklin is a sign we are tanking. I can't see the point of playing Franklin when we have 10 games left to work out how we want the team to look next year. We want to see how McDonald, Amartey, McLean and Buller would go as our KPF group next season, playing either 2 or 3 of them in a game.
    • McInerney was our 6th highest ranked player last game according to the AFL ranking system (which I think may be run by Champion Data, so someone might be able to verify this).
    • Sheldrick was ranked #5 by the same system, and shouldn't be dropped, although he's the most obvious one to be cut when Mills returns. Tough call.
    • Hayward won't be dropped. He hasn't missed a game in 2 years. He's having a decent year.
    • Against the Eagles, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace Francis with Arnold to get him some AFL exposure. That spot will be taken once McCartin returns.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 20th June 2023 at 11:19 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    It seems more like a mid-season practice match.

I agree that players should only return if fully fit. If they need to pass a fitness test before selection, they should be rested another week or play in the VFL.
    You obviously haven’t seen Longmire coach for the last 11 years

Senior players return via the seniors regardless of how injury prone they are or how long their lay off has been

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    You obviously haven’t seen Longmire coach for the last 11 years

Senior players return via the seniors regardless of how injury prone they are or how long their lay off has been
    Apart from Cunningham last year. He is a senior player as he is in the leadership group.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast