Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vale Graeme John

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Vale Graeme John

Very sad to hear about the passing of former player, coach and president, Graeme John.

Not many RWOers would be old enough to know him but he is one of my all time favourite Swans and, as a kid in the 60s, I wore Graeme's number 7 on the back of my South Melbourne jumper. He was a fantastic player but, unfortunately, his on field career was hampered by injury. In 2005 at a Melbourne function honouring Bobby Skilton, I was thrilled to be able to get Graeme's autograph on his page in the the club's Team of the Century book, "Honour the Names."

A great man and a passionate Swan!

Sympathy to his loved ones.

Senior Player
    Retired at 26 due to injury. Coached the team at age 29. Became president as well. Huge contribution. RIP>

Veterans List
    Sad news, mentioned among those who have passed at last night's HOF dinner.

There was a audible moan from the HOF audience when Richard Goyder announced Graeme John had just passed away earlier that evening. I don't have first hand memories of Graeme John as a player, but i certainly do as coach. I recall in 1974 against Geelong at Kardinia Park, we were down by a big margin at 3/4 time and then stormed home in the last to clinch the win after a rousing address by John. His son Gareth played a handful of games in the early 90's as a ruckman (our first official father/son?). Graeme was hugely influential in the club. Black armbands this Friday. RIP.

Senior Player
    He was a classy player who was picked for Victoria a number of times. Injuries wrecked his career.

Thanks for the game stats link Sandridge. Noticed we were 45 points down at 1/4 time rather than just the 8 points at 3/4 time. Nevertheless still a strong comeback my recollection being bit off! Memorable players listed on both team sheets.

I'm with you, KSAS! My memory of the scores was off, too. I remember the game clearly as it was probably the only game that year I missed. I was sick and at home and, because I hate listening to Swans games on the radio, I was listening to another game and getting regular score updates. My memory was that we were over 40 pts down well into the third quarter but that wasn't the case. Oh well! It was a great comeback and, yes, some fantastic names on both sides!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    some great names on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I'm with you, KSAS! My memory of the scores was off, too. I remember the game clearly as it was probably the only game that year I missed. I was sick and at home and, because I hate listening to Swans games on the radio, I was listening to another game and getting regular score updates. My memory was that we were over 40 pts down well into the third quarter but that wasn't the case. Oh well! It was a great comeback and, yes, some fantastic names on both sides!
    I remember being at a family wedding & heard we were getting thrashed. Loss for sure i thought. Then someone told me we got up from nowhere in the last quarter to win the game! Remember being over the moon & couldn't wait to get my hands on the Sporting Globe / Sunday Papers & World of Sport.

I recall seeing a photo not long ago of Graeme John addressing the players at 3/4 time at that game, which freaked me out! I've just searching the net without any luck.
    Nice write up on the club web site.

KSAS, if you ever find that photo, please share! As I wrote before, Graeme John is one of my all time favourite Swans and would love to see a photo of him in action that day!

Feel like a bit of a dill, KSAS.

Just spent some time searching the internet for that photo, only to subsequently find I've got it in 2 books! "Honour the Names" is the book about our club's nominees for the Team of the Century and "In the Blood" is a history of our club. The photo you're talking about is in both books. Am happy to send you a copy if you'd like it but I'm technologically challenged and you'd have to tell me how best to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast