Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Rd 17 vs Richmond @ MCG - Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    That tactic just doesn’t happen at AFL level and it’s never going to
    100%

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So which category does a slam tackle fall into? Reckless or negligent? Or if it could be either, which features of a tackle help distinguish?
    The categories were, and could again be, careless, reckless and intentional.

Broad: reckless - unnecesary action with foreseeable risk of serious harm, opportunity to mitigate but did not: Richmond defender Nathan Broad referred directly to tribunal for tackle - YouTube.

Serong: careless - attempting legitimate tackle, but didn't take sufficient care in doing so: Caleb Serong has been handed a one-match ban for this dangerous tackle. - YouTube.

Rd 17 vs Richmond @ MCG - Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The categories were, and could again be, careless, reckless and intentional.

Broad: reckless - unnecesary action with foreseeable risk of serious harm, opportunity to mitigate but did not: Richmond defender Nathan Broad referred directly to tribunal for tackle - YouTube.

Serong: careless - attempting legitimate tackle, but didn't take sufficient care in doing so: Caleb Serong has been handed a one-match ban for this dangerous tackle. - YouTube.
    I agree. And Nankervis was reckless.

I think if Liz’s category 1 category 2 system was considered, we would end up explaining it by using English word descriptors - such as 1. = careless and 2. = reckless. So use these words in the first place.

I also think ‘intentional’ is a discrete separate category (which fortunately seldom needs to be used).

I don’t agree that ‘intentional’ conjures up pre-meditated.

Pre-mediated means not only an intentional action but one that was planned in advance.

I don’t think anyone thinks that while Barry Hall was eating his breakfast cereal in the morning of the match he planned to king hit Staker later that day. But I think we would almost all agree Hall had a brain snap and intentionally hit Staker during the course of the match.
    Last edited by Meg; 12th July 2023 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think the other annoying part of the sentence is he got down from four to three simply by showing contrition. Who cares?

The AFL is - in my view at least, largely in a serious and systemic way - confronting and trying to minimise the risk of lifetime after effects from concussions. Someone saying sorry ain’t gonna help someone whose brain is permanently rattled. I’d love to see how that stands up when the class actions come.

“Your Honour, I know Mr Lloyd has sustained 30 years of diminished quality of life but the perpetrator did send him a contrite text after the event.”

Please.
    Don't forget that with concussion Lloyd also misses the next game. So it's 2 games out for the victim, 3 out for the perpetrator. Hardly seems fair.

10mins red card
    Reviewed by off field umpire
    Then deemed send off or not

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    10mins red card
    Reviewed by off field umpire
    Then deemed send off or not
    Pretty simple. If a player has to go off for a concussion test then the red card is least until it is deemed he can't come back on. As long at is an offence that is clearly against the rules. Or make it a mandatory 20 minutes with no replacement. Then you would see this stuff disappear.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627