Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Let prejudice reign.

Round 17: the other games. Let prejudice reign.

Well, after last night's loss, I think we can probably forget about looking at the ladder and barracking for whichever result will help our finals chances. While there's probably still some sort of mathematical chance that we'll get there, practically I think we're gone. So, generally I think who I want to win a particular game, will now largely be decided on which team has offended me most in the past. I mean, it's probably a bit too soon for me to contemplate things like, "Oh, I hope the best team wins", or "As long as they play an attractive game of football".

On that basis, I can't really go past 'free kick, Bulldogs' and the bitter memories of 2016; so I suppose it's, go Collingwood. Although now that I think of it, there is Ashes cricket, Wimbledon and Le Tour de France going on simultaneously, so maybe my attention will only be partially on the AFL. And of course, if I started actively barracking for Collingwood and then spotted the smug mug of Eddie McGuire in the crowd, it would turn into a real dilemma.

Saturday starts with Brisbane hosting West Coast. While I would have a not so quiet chuckle if West Coast got up, their crowds have gravely offended me in the past, so, let the misery continue.

GWS and Hawthorn. Fairly easy. I've often considered Hawthorn to be our bitterest rivals, and even though I'm still holding a few grudges against GWS (finals defeats, Toby Greene), I'm starting to see them more as fellow victims of the Melbourne boys club. So, go the Giants.

Melbourne and St Kilda. Are can't really recall either club offending me too much, so maybe just a passing interest while I'm hopefully watching an upset Gold Coast win over Port.

Sunday starts with Geelong hosting North. While I'm no fan of North, I have deep suspicions about the Geelong salary sombrero, or as somebody on RWO put it, the Costa living allowance. So, here's hoping for the sort of upset, that would have the adoring Geelong fans wondering if they'd slipped into a parallel universe.

Then it's a tough one next: Essendon and Adelaide. But I suppose Essendon making the finals when we didn't would genuinely irritate me.

Then, as it's often the case, the round finishes in Perth, with Fremantle and Perth. Having read a fair few losing match autopsy threads on Big Footy, it seems to me that Carlton fans may just be the most unhinged when they lose. So, go the Dockers. Although, now that I've written the word 'unhinged', it occurs to me that much of this intro might be a touch unhinged; but hey, what are ya gonna do?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    "So, generally I think who I want to win a particular game, will now largely be decided on which team has offended me most in the past."

My reply with quote is not working so I've copied and pasted this quote from deja's thread introduction because it perfectly states how I feel about tonight's game.

Hate both the Poodles and the Pies with a passion but, when I see them playing each other, I realise that I only hate the Poodles because of 2016. I'll never forgive or forget what happened in that infamous Grand Final but I have to say that I don't actually hate the Poodle supporters. I've hated Collingwood for much, much longer and for many, many more reasons.

I can't bring myself to say "Go Poodles" but if someone's got to win, I think I prefer them.

Veteran Site Admin
    Off-topic posts moved. Lack of discussion on the other games being played this round suggests those posts were off-putting to those who want to talk about other footy games this round.

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

"So, generally I think who I want to win a particular game, will now largely be decided on which team has offended me most in the past."

Hope you don't mind me quoting you again, deja!

Hate St.Kilda - really want the Dees to prevail tonight!

(Any assistance in getting "reply with quote" working again greatly appreciated!)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post

(Any assistance in getting "reply with quote" working again greatly appreciated!)
    RWO site changes, bugs, disruptions thread - Page 27

Unhappy

Thanks Liz. One click of the "reply with quote" button didn't work but a quick double click did the job!

Half way through the second quarter and the Saints are down to one man on the bench.

GWS not convincing against hawks. They have an almost zero injury list. Maybe not much upside.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS not convincing against hawks. They have an almost zero injury list. Maybe not much upside.
    I went to the game and yes, they were a bit underwhelming. But it was their fourth win on the trot and fifth from their last
    six games. Man, the market for players is a strange beast if Harry Himmelberg is worth $900K a year. He was pretty
    average today. Unlike Jesse Hogan who had a great game again. He is a big unit and he can play, and may have finally found
    the right place for himself out at Homebush. No one would have picked that all those years ago.

Yeah, I have no idea why we would be into HH. Giants will pay him $600k. Anyone who pays more is a fool.

Veterans List
    Blues well on their way to putting us down into the bottom four again over in Perth. Gee the Dockers can be a rabble at times!

Dockers seem to have too much list turnover year on year. Must be destabilising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast