Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 18 - vs Bulldogs at SCG, 7:20 PM, Thursday 13 July 2023

Senior Player

Rnd 18 - vs Bulldogs at SCG, 7:20 PM, Thursday 13 July 2023

Ok, what a debacle last week. I got the day wrong, the number of games left wrong and how far we were out of the eight wrong.

Then there was the actual debacle on the field especially in the second round. Still I put some blame on the umpiring, who let Richmond play on and kick a goal whilst Lloyd was stunned on the ground from being taken out, the dodgy 50 meter penalty (did Papley even throw the ball when he tapped it to Heeney?) that also led to a goal etc.

Anyway, I don't have much excitement re who is in/out this week as the cupboard is pretty bare with Chad Warner still likely to be out and Ladhams not fit to support/replace Hickey. Lloyd needs to come out due to the 12 day protocol and they can play Fox in defence where he belongs.

Maybe put in McAndrew now the season is pretty much over, and play Almartey again now that he had his managed rest and rest Buddy with his bung knee, and have Corey Warner as sub.

As we need the league to seriously consider a send-off rule, I think we put in Wicks as he can take out the Bont or Bailey Smith for us. Our season is likely over, so let's have one more does of mindless aggro we can talk about on the forum before he gets delisted.

For me:

Outs:

Lloyd (12 day rule, Fox goes to defence), Buddy (managed), Hickey (managed), Francis (sub)

Ins:

Wicks (but taking Fox role), Almartey, McAndrew, Corey Warner (sub)

Or if they want to go tall due to English and Lobb, then keep Francis instead of Wicks if they are hoping to win this game.

Veteran Site Admin
    You keep getting the time wrong too. Or at least wrong for those of us on the Eastern seaboard where the game is being played. I've bee editing in when I notice, but you might want to think of time zone in your mental check list.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You keep getting the time wrong too. Or at least wrong for those of us on the Eastern seaboard where the game is being played. I've bee editing in when I notice, but you might want to think of time zone in your mental check list.
    Thanks for the fix!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Horse made clear today Chad is another week away.

Other than that, he didn’t give away much on team selection.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Interesting that he said the send off rule should be on table to be discussed. He said that his position on that issue had changed due to the flood of hias in the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Interesting that he said the send off rule should be on table to be discussed. He said that his position on that issue had changed due to the flood of hias in the last couple of years.
    Should be discussed and in case of head high injury leading to the affected player having to go off, the offender should be red carded for the rest of the game. Maybe automatic suspension for the following week. Thankfully, these incidents are infrequent but must be minimised and then eliminated from our game. Yes, it’s a contact sport and some incidents are accidental. Neither the Wicks or the Nankervis ones fall into this category. So videos need to be used to differentiate between the late or the accidental contact.

I won’t be surprised if Wicks is brought back this week, though I would much rather have HHK given a go.

In: Amartey, Wicks (?) prefer HHK.
    Out: Lloyd (injured), Buddy (managed)
    Sub: Corey or Dyl

Senior Player
    Good summary. Wicks was a big part of getting the 2s over the line although he may not be trusted any longer. Hard as nails though.

Good summary. Wicks was a big part of getting the 2s over the line although he may not be trusted any longer. Hard as nails though.
    Plays with the intelligence of a nail at times

Hate to say it but Logan had a shocker in the second half.

I’d love to see Amartey and McAndrew in, think we’ll be lucky to see one of them.

How serious is Sheldrick’s injury? Will he get up for this game?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Plays with the intelligence of a nail at times
    Notice he got into a scuffle in the 2s as well. Maybe his problem is chronic. Handy player with a knack for goals.

Notice he got into a scuffle in the 2s as well. Maybe his problem is chronic. Handy player with a knack for goals.
    I just don’t think he’s good enough as a first 22, and on top of that he gives away needless frees. He’s good value at VFL level, but I can’t see him in our first team. There are several players in that category as we all know. What’s the point in bringing these players in when it is patently obvious that they will never help us to a flag- let’s play the kids and see what they have to offer. This season is done as far as finals are concerned and so it won’t matter where we finish. Remember the Pies a couple of years ago? Finished 17th from memory- look at the team they have now.

Regarding players like Wicks, we need to ask: would they get into a top 4 team? If not, why should we bother? Yes, he can kick the odd goal here and there but that simply ain’t enough. I’ll be very disappointed if he’s picked against a skilful team like the Fairypups but won’t be surprised as the selectors seem to ignore his weaknesses. I’ve followed football long enough to spot talent when I see it and he’s bang average at the very best.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Got to admit - and I say this as someone who's occasionally defended Wicks because I thought his best footy in 2021 showed he was capable of playing an important structural role for us - the thought of him coming back into the side and doing something hot-headed and stupid fills me with dread. I personally think it's a trait that may cost him his career.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast