Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Women's AFL - fixture

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

2023 Women's AFL - fixture

The fixture for the 2023 Women's AFL competition has been released. It has 10 rounds and 4 weeks of finals.

A longer season may be introduced in 2024. I'm hoping this "longer season" would have all teams playing every other team once.

The fixture is here: AFLW FIXTURE: Match-ups revealed, GF venues locked in

Sydney's games
    Greater Western Sydney (Sun Sep 3, H: North Sydney Oval)
    Geelong (Sat Sep 9, H: North Sydney Oval)
    Brisbane (Sun Sep 17, A: Brighton Homes Arena)
    West Coast (Sun Sep 24, H: Henson Park)
    Carlton (Fri Sep 29, A: IKON Park)
    Port Adelaide (Sat Oct 7, A: Alberton Oval)
    Hawthorn (Sat Oct 14, H: Henson Park)
    Western Bulldogs (Sat Oct 21, A: Whitten Oval)
    Collingwood (Sun Oct 29, H: Henson Park)
    Fremantle (date and time TBC, A: Fremantle Oval)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The fixture for the 2023 Women's AFL competition has been released. It has 10 rounds and 4 weeks of finals.

A longer season may be introduced in 2024. I'm hoping this "longer season" would have all teams playing every other team once.

The fixture is here: AFLW FIXTURE: Match-ups revealed, GF venues locked in

Sydney's games
    Greater Western Sydney (Sun Sep 3, H: North Sydney Oval)
    Geelong (Sat Sep 9, H: North Sydney Oval)
    Brisbane (Sun Sep 17, A: Brighton Homes Arena)
    West Coast (Sun Sep 24, H: Henson Park)
    Carlton (Fri Sep 29, A: IKON Park)
    Port Adelaide (Sat Oct 7, A: Alberton Oval)
    Hawthorn (Sat Oct 14, H: Henson Park)
    Western Bulldogs (Sat Oct 21, A: Whitten Oval)
    Collingwood (Sun Oct 29, H: Henson Park)
    Fremantle (date and time TBC, A: Fremantle Oval)
    Hoping to get to a game or two this season if I can align it with other trips we will be in Sydney for Hope the ladies can get that first win early on and build from there!

I hope the AFLW ends up at a 17 round competition, playing each other once.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to the Saturday the 19th already (and at the SCG, which is a surprise, given the venues for the season itself). Swans to play Carlton at SCG in practice match

On the other hand, this from Scott didn't exactly set my pulse racing. "Our expectation is that we're gonna win, that's our mindset" - Gowans
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Match simulation against GC went well with the Swans "winning" Swans prevail with win over Gold Coast and Ally Morphett reaped the rewards of a strong pre-season with a hard-working performance in the ruck.

A bit of injury news: Montana Ham suffered a stress fracture in her foot during last week's match sim against Gold Coast and will miss several games. Practice match teams: Injury leaves Montana Ham's season in doubt

Veterans List
    Disappointing news about Ham. I was looking forward to seeing her play after having a proper pre season. Hopefully she isn't out for too long.

I know it's only a practice game, but there is no way the Swans womens team are going to go through this season without a win.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I know it's only a practice game, but there is no way the Swans womens team are going to go through this season without a win.
    I hope you're right 🙂.

Veteran Site Admin
    I went down to the SCG this afternoon. I'm not great at judging numbers without counting, but I reckon there were a few hundred people there.

The improvement in all facets of the game was obvious. They looked fitter, stronger and covered the ground better, though they did tire somewhat as the game went on.

The most obvious transformation is Morphett, who is just as tall (obviously) but now looks like an athlete. She won plenty of taps, glided across the ground, and used her height to take a handful of overhead marks.

But best on ground for me (and the person who wrote the report on the Swans' site) was Cynthia Hamilton. She kicked a first half goal from a tight angle that helped the Swans get out to a strong first half lead. And then after the Swans were nearly reeled in by the end, she won a free kick in front of goal, maybe 25m out, and converted after the siren to ice the win. But it was her tackling that was a standout. A fistful of run down tackles (that were randomly rewarded, or not, by the umpires - the officiation of HTBs throughout the game was inconsistent and sometimes bizarre), some in traffic - she was quick and tough.

Malloy wasn't dominant but she showed some glimpses of class that we've not seen before in the R&W. A few times she was involved in attempts to move the ball down the wing with a chain of handpasses. They nearly came off but the last possession before forward 50 entry tended to let the team down. Laura Gardiner was also involved in most of those chains.

Tarrant and Heads were great in defence, while there were "moments" too from Hurley, both Kennedys and Smith.

All in all an encouraging performance by the ladies. I suspect the way they tired as the game progressed means we probably won't be at the very pointy end of the ladder this year, but I don't think it will be long before they register their first win of the season proper.
    Last edited by liz; 22nd August 2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I went down to the SCG this afternoon. I'm not great at judging numbers without counting, but I reckon there were a few hundred people there.
    Sitting wherever we pleased, moving to get a bit more sun. It reminded me of the early 90's at the SCG.

Let's see which games are most likely to give wins.

Greater Western Sydney - GWS finished in the middle of the ladder last year. A chance, but I'm not expecting a win here.
    Geelong - They finished fifth. No.
    Brisbane - Finished on top. A scary team. Very unlikely, would be a huge upset if we won somehow.
    West Coast - Bottom four last year. Good chances of a win.
    Carlton - 14th, and we just knocked them off in a practice match. One has to fancy our chances here.
    Port Adelaide - 17th last year. More winning chances, but they have improved as well after beating St Kilda by 5 goals in a practice match.
    Hawthorn - 15th last year. Got flogged by Melbourne in a practice game with a goalless score so they haven't improved this year. Got to fancy our chances here.
    Western Bulldogs - finals last year and are always competitive. I don't fancy our chances here.
    Collingwood - also made the finals last year. Also unlikely.
    Fremantle - middle of the ladder, so who knows?

We have a difficult start so starting with three losses is likely. I wouldn't get discouraged early because the next four games are all winnable. With that fixture, three or four wins are possible. Most likely game to be the first win: round 4 versus West Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Let's see which games are most likely to give wins.
    Greater Western Sydney - GWS finished in the middle of the ladder last year. A chance, but I'm not expecting a win here.
    Is Scott Gowans trying to promote the game by a little Sheedy like pot stirring? I hope his trash talking of their club doesn't inspire the Giantesses too much Key Quotes: Scott Gowans, Round 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast