Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rd 19 vs Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - Match Thread

Senior Player
    That first quarter start was huge. Fremantle kept within 4-5 goals for most of the game due to their accuracy, they were 9.2 at some stage.

Being at the ground I saw some interesting things. Eg Rowie was in the forward line for most of the 2nd quarter. He was tagging their number 13? for some of it.

Also saw a centre bounce in the 4th quarter where we had Almartey in the square, then Logan and then Franklin as the third closest to goal.

Crowd around me was feral, calling for free kicks etc when the play was on the other wing and where you could not even see what was going on. Heaps of boos at any free kicks given to the Swans and whenever we preparing a set shot at goal.

Can’t wait to watch the game again, this time on Kayo as a lot of the play was on the other side of the ground (I was near the interchange) and difficult to see.

Just back from the game. Great atmosphere. I’m glad we have a bunch of solid performers when the flair players don’t shine. Wicks, Rowbottom, Parker were huge when Gulden and Blakey only had a few cameo appearances. Mills seemed to play wing some of the time. I was surprised (and actually not impressed) that he niggled and bumped some of the Freo players. I have seen how he gets targeted by other teams, and now I think I can see why. Great games by Will and Lance. At the end of his career Buddy starts taking overhead marks. I thought the umpiring was pretty good. They mainly just paid the obvious frees.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Yep Mel_C that 50 in the context of us not getting one shows incompetence
    No. It actually shows two different umpires with different agendas, but the same outcome

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    His name turned up on the interchanges at the 62 minute mark on the AFL Match Centre.....so I thought he must be on. Maybe not....he's still stat-less on the player stat sheet.
    The AFL app is ordinary. That injured bit is most confusing at times. Quite often the stats at the end of the game are only up to half time. Footy Live app is way better.

Veterans List
    About Hayward's best game ever but still only had 11 possessions. 3 goals is enough for me.
    Mills was influential. He is well and truly back. His last quarter was very good. When he is on song we are much better side.
    Errol was better than many think. He closed down at least 4 Freo marking attempts in the midfield and was unlucky to not quite run onto the spilled ball.
    Chad took a while to get into the game but his last quarter was good. Looked rusty which is understandable.
    Parker was clearly BOG. I don't know that you would see a better inside game. Tough as nails.
    Very good all round team effort.

Veterans List
    I thought Buddy was darn good tonight. He kicked straight, was constantly working hard defensively, did a lot of bullocking work, and did some terrific deft tap ons that he doesn't get a stat for. And took 6 marks.

Was at the game so will watch the replay, few things of note
    Buddy and Logan did a lot of good things
    Hayward awesome, was everywhere
    Heeney tackles hard and competed in the air
    Mcinerney tough and mobile, was always an option
    Cambpell awesome and clean loving the wing
    Errol they targetted, played well but needs to get behind the mark quicker when he has it
    Harry great in defence against the biggest diver in the comp
    Paps was good in the middle
    Ollie always has time
    Parker and Rowy both bulls
    We seem to stick more tackles tonight

But the move of the night was Mills to the wing, he exploited the inexperience of Freos wings and was everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post

But the move of the night was Mills to the wing, he exploited the inexperience of Freos wings and was everywhere
    Longmire said this move was made because Mills was a ‘bit banged up’ from training this week.

The old boys - Parker and Buddy were fantastic.

Though J Mac and Rowbottom were very good too. Also credit to the two rucks, I don’t mind that setup.

A win against Essendon next week would be massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Longmire said this move was made because Mills was a ‘bit banged up’ from training this week.
    Was a good call, it didnt seem to affect him across the ground, he was everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The old boys - Parker and Buddy were fantastic.

Though J Mac and Rowbottom were very good too. Also credit to the two rucks, I don’t mind that setup.

A win against Essendon next week would be massive.
    Our 1st quarter was fantastic and won us the match. The next 3 were an arm wrestle and Freo played pretty well and threw everything at us. Wilbur played very well as did the whole team- my only reservation was about some disconnect in our backline at times and the Lizard was sadly out of touch, which is below his usual high standard. Very happy with the win, especially our ability to halt their momentum time and time again!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Our 1st quarter was fantastic and won us the match. The next 3 were an arm wrestle and Freo played pretty well and threw everything at us. Wilbur played very well as did the whole team- my only reservation was about some disconnect in our backline at times and the Lizard was sadly out of touch, which is below his usual high standard. Very happy with the win, especially our ability to halt their momentum time and time again!
    I think against a side like Freo that have so many small fwds that tackle, it always going to be hard for the Lizard to get going as he is always under pressure.

Straight kicking cant be underestimated, wrestled back momentum time after time with reward going forward.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast