Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Round 20: the other games. Is there life on Mars?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think your wish will be granted, finals wise. With GCS and Freo winning we could still finish as low as 14/15
    Four rounds to go, and St Kilda are a mathematical chance to finish 15th. They are currently fifth. It came up when I was running the Squiggle ladder predictor a few times.

So I wouldn't worry too much about finishing 15th, a lot of teams can still end up there.

(And for the record, the ladder predictor mostly had us finishing 10th, our current position.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    This collection of VFL clips popped up on YouTube, so I thought I might as well have a look.

VFL/AFL Moments You've never seen!!! - YouTube

I was stunned by the incident that runs from about 1 minute 20 in. Both by the flagrant violence and the fact that I'd never heard of it, as it obviously would have been infamous at the time. Since it looks like it happened at a South Melbourne home game, perhaps some veteran fans would like to elaborate?
    Deja, this incident occurred in a reserves match in 1985. In the early 80s, there was a reserve game played at the old South ground and televised on Channel 7 on the Sunday afternoons when there wasn't a Swans game in Sydney to televise. It wasn't always a Swans reserves game that was televised but the clip is our reserves versus Collingwood reserves. The Collingwood player, John Bourke, was suspended for 10 years which was later reduced to 6 years. He was apparently leading the Reserves goalkicking at the time of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    This collection of VFL clips popped up on YouTube, so I thought I might as well have a look.

VFL/AFL Moments You've never seen!!! - YouTube

I was stunned by the incident that runs from about 1 minute 20 in. Both by the flagrant violence and the fact that I'd never heard of it, as it obviously would have been infamous at the time. Since it looks like it happened at a South Melbourne home game, perhaps some veteran fans would like to elaborate?
    I think it was in 1985 at a reserves match. Bourke (Collingwood #13) got suspended for 10 years.

Anyone who opposes a send-off rule should keep that incident in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Deja, this incident occurred in a reserves match in 1985. In the early 80s, there was a reserve game played at the old South ground and televised on Channel 7 on the Sunday afternoons when there wasn't a Swans game in Sydney to televise. It wasn't always a Swans reserves game that was televised but the clip is our reserves versus Collingwood reserves. The Collingwood player, John Bourke, was suspended for 10 years which was later reduced to 6 years. He was apparently leading the Reserves goalkicking at the time of the incident.
    10 years seems about right. Though I wonder if a Collingwood lawyer argued it down from life?

It's hard to work out which of Bourke's actions was the most egregious: the kick on his opponent, the umpire hit, or whatever he did to the guy in the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I think it was in 1985 at a reserves match. Bourke (Collingwood #13) got suspended for 10 years.

Anyone who opposes a send-off rule should keep that incident in mind.
    Although if they wanted to keep arguing, they could claim that taking out an umpire doesn't disadvantage either side, so therefore, a sending off isn't necessary.

Veterans List
    How come hawthorn had to play the saints at Marvel stadium? That was an unfair advantage to the saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    How come hawthorn had to play the saints at Marvel stadium? That was an unfair advantage to the saints.
    Looking back on the recent history of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches, they are usually not at the MCG since 2014. One has to go back further to see the MCG featuring more frequently.

* Venues of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches 2014-2023: Docklands 7, York Park 3, MCG 2, Carrara 1 (pandemic).
    * Venues of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches 2000-2013: Docklands 8, MCG 8, York Park 1.

(1999 was the last year of Waverley being a venue.)

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Just a thought relating to the initial post:

I wonder if Cairns might be an option for Team 20. A slightly larger population than Darwin and growing (from the Cairns Regional Council website - In the past 30 years, Cairns' population has nearly doubled - growing from 89,000 residents in 1992, to more than 165,000 today - and it’s predicted to reach up to 265,000 by 2050. That’s 100,000 more people than live here today), is not in a two-team market such as Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and (ostensibly) Brisbane), not in a strong RL market and far enough away from Townsville, has its own local comp, has a welded on NBA Cairns Taipans supporter base which in part could ease across to follow their AFL side in the winter.
    There are a couple of things in darwins favour....

1) our winter, their dry season, is peak tourism season and the population at least doubles and there are countless festivals on. It's a cracking place.

2) there is an abundance of local talent if the new team was given an NT academy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Looking back on the recent history of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches, they are usually not at the MCG since 2014. One has to go back further to see the MCG featuring more frequently.

* Venues of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches 2014-2023: Docklands 7, York Park 3, MCG 2, Carrara 1 (pandemic).
    * Venues of Hawthorn-St Kilda matches 2000-2013: Docklands 8, MCG 8, York Park 1.

(1999 was the last year of Waverley being a venue.)
    Seems strange that the Hawks have been continuously made to play a home game on the opposition's home ground. It's obviously not because of crowd size. I only took notice this week because I wanted the Hawks to win to help our ladder position.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567