Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 20: the other games. Is there life on Mars?

Round 20: the other games. Is there life on Mars?

I mention the game at Mars stadium in Ballarat, because I was thinking the other day, where might the AFL put another team after the introduction of Tasmania makes it a 19 team competition? Not that there's any hard and fast rule that says that you can't have a 19th team indefinitely, but overwhelmingly, even numbered competitions are preferred. So, is some sort of Ballarat or Goldfields team an option? I really don't know, but I think most of the more realistic options have more negatives than positives.

Take Ballarat for instance. Some might say that there's likely to be a ready made audience, in an area that traditionally produces plenty of talent. But one drawback is likely to be evident on the weekend. That is, the games at Mars tend to lack atmosphere; with a few empty seats in a cold and windswept 11,000 capacity stadium. And to me, the biggest drawback would be further shifting the balance of power in favour of Victoria.

Of the other options, maybe Canberra makes the most sense, but that would almost surely involve GWS playing all their home games at Homebush: which may not be wise. Also, you'd think that a Canberra team would see GWS and us lose some of our academy zones. Which I wouldn't like, but which would probably be seen as a plus to those in Victoria who don't really understand our academy system, but who like to whinge about it nonetheless.

Darwin might get some support, but their population of around 150,000 might not be enough to support an AFL side, especially one incurring a large amount of airfares every second week. Alternatively, you might be able to throw a third team in Perth or Adelaide, but I suspect the existing teams there really wouldn't be supportive. Much the same with trying to put another team into Brisbane, with the added drawback of being a rugby league town. Which also goes for some of the more longshot options, like the Sunshine Coast, Newcastle or the Central Coast. So, I'm guessing that it might be a 19 team competition for quite a while.

Anyway, the round starts tonight with Collingwood and Carlton. Since we've no hope of catching Collingwood, but a big chance of catching Carlton, I'm hoping that Carlton cop the sort of thrashing, that nullifies that the advantage that they gained from playing West Coast twice.

Then on Saturday there's the aforementioned Ballarat game between the Bulldogs and the Giants. Both are catchable, so go the Giants.

At the same time, Geelong are hosting Fremantle. For us to be in the eight at the end of the weekend, we need a Fremantle win. Unfortunately they're usually terrible travellers and they may have already put the cue in the rack for season 2023: so Geelong's price of $1.05 seems about right.

The twilight game at Carrara looks like a do or die affair for the Suns. Which is unfortunate for them, as their recent record against the Lions, is similar to that of the Christians in ancient Rome.

Then in the evening, while we're hopefully running rings around Essendon, the Showdown takes place in Adelaide. Once again, I think it boils down to who we're likely to battling for a finals spot. Adelaide could be a thorn in our side, while Port are way ahead of us. So, go the Power.

Much the same deal with the Sunday matches of Hawthorn v St Kilda and Richmond v Melbourne.

And the final match of the weekend is West Coast hosting North. Which brings me round to the other way of evening up the numbers in the competition. Which is getting rid of one of the Melbourne clubs. A club that performs poorly year after year. A club that could have relocated to the Gold Coast but refused. A club that could have relocated to Tasmania but refused. Although to be fair, Tasmania also refused them.

There is still a chance of a merger in Melbourne. Who are the perennial ordinary? North & Saints. Call them the Bayside Kangaroos and call it quits.

Why are St Kilda called St Kilda anyway? They have not had anything to do with St Kilda since 1965. In fact, Fitzroy played their home games at the Junction Oval after falling out with Carlton over ground rental and facility fees. St Kilda should change their name now they are permanently at Moorabbin. A merger would allow this. What's more, they really haven't had much success as The Saints, 1 premiership since 1873. They have only played in 6 Grand Finals & have 26 Wooden Spoons.

I forgot to mention they failed to win a premiership in the VFA. Had very few finals chances in their history, 11 in total. This is an abysmal record for any club. How they managed to talk themselves into the original VFL is beyond me.

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk

I’ve tipped Carlton tonight, probably the dumbest idea ever but …

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    There is still a chance of a merger in Melbourne. Who are the perennial ordinary? North & Saints. Call them the Bayside Kangaroos and call it quits.

Why are St Kilda called St Kilda anyway? They have not had anything to do with St Kilda since 1965. In fact, Fitzroy played their home games at the Junction Oval after falling out with Carlton over ground rental and facility fees. St Kilda should change their name now they are permanently at Moorabbin. A merger would allow this. What's more, they really haven't had much success as The Saints, 1 premiership since 1873. They have only played in 6 Grand Finals & have 26 Wooden Spoons.

I forgot to mention they failed to win a premiership in the VFA. Had very few finals chances in their history, 11 in total. This is an abysmal record for any club. How they managed to talk themselves into the original VFL is beyond me.

Yes, I didn't really think of merging a couple of Melbourne clubs, but it’s an option that I don't mind. Fans of St Kilda and North might think otherwise, though?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I didn't really think of merging a couple of Melbourne clubs, but it’s an option that I don't mind. Fans of St Kilda and North might think otherwise, though?
    Probably. But they could get a strong, very financial club out if this and finally win premierships

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Fwiw, I’ve picked the Eagles in the Harley Reid Cup. Dunno why, but I did.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Fwiw, I’ve picked the Eagles in the Harley Reid Cup. Dunno why, but I did.
    Well, that's probably a problem with tipping competitions. In games like that, you have to pick somebody.

Carlton right on top in that quarter. They looked very motivated, while Collingwood looked like they spent much of the week planning their premiership tattoos.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    The last thing we need is another team based in Victoria. It will never happen

Does Carlton winning spoil our slim chances?

Reckon it doesn’t help.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We often talk about valuable players we’ve lost/let go for various reasons. We rarely talk about Nic Newman, and he’s a beauty. Just solid.

And by the way, I’ve often ragged on clubs who just go “sack the coach”. I hate to say this, but good on Carlton for sticking with Voss mid year when every media nuff nuff was saying take his head off.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 28th July 2023 at 11:27 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast