Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 20, vs Essendon at Marvel, on Saturday 29 July, 7:25 PM

Senior Player

Rnd 20, vs Essendon at Marvel, on Saturday 29 July, 7:25 PM

Well what a nice way to start the Team List thread, we won handily, everyone did their job and there were only a couple who were a bit under their normal level (Almartey, Gulden and Warner).

Not sure there is much reason to change the team, unless Ladhams is getting near match fitness, and maybe a different sub to give another fringe player a run in the 1s (Corey Warner, Stephens or HKH).

In terms of the ladder, we need to win pretty much all but one game to sneak into the eight. The game against Melbourne is the least critical one as we won't overtake them, but the others are crucial.

We want some big wins too as we are behind by about 5 percentage points with Geelong thanks to their drubbing of us early in the season, and our very narrow win vs North Melbourne being two outliers that hurt us.

Anyway, looking forward to the game!

Errol played as an inside mid swapping with “banged up” Mills who played on the wing. I reckon they’ll revert this week.

Warner did ok first week back and looked to be playing fwd a fair bit, hopefully he’ll be better for the run.

I can see an argument for bringing in Ladhams if he’s ready as I think being second ruck isn’t helping Amartey, but then who makes way? And no VFL makes it hard, so …

My guess no changes subject to no injuries, hopefully Buddy is ok? (Can’t believe I’m actually happy at the prospect of Buddy playing!)

Regular in the Side
    need to play a genuine ruck Dons rucks are tall. If ladhams and hickey are not fir bring in mcandrew.

Not sure what we do about the rucks against Essendon. They are without Draper. Phillips is a competent ruck, very tall, so maybe we do need a real ruck. But McLean and Amartey did well enough against English for their height and he nullified his input around the ground. Essendon's second ruck Nick Bryan was a wash out for them so they may change that for a more mobile shorter option.

I doubt we will make too many changes but whoever was on Lachie Schultz needs to be very careful. bombers have a few reasonable small forwards. They also have three really tall forwards. Cox, Langford & Wright. We have had problems with Wright over the years due to his height. But add the 192cm Langford and 200cm Cox then we have problems with our height as it stands. Not too many teams will have 4 players who can play forward who are that big. If Bryan plays he is another 203cm as well as Phillips at 201cm and that is a lot of height as well as Stringer who is also 192. I am not sure we can maintain the status quo because the lack of height is going to be a huge factor here. I think either Francis or Arnold have to come in to help.

No other changes. That means Fox is probably going to be Sub.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Based on Horse's comments from his presser today on the Swans website, it won't be Ladhams coming in. Effectively, said lack of a reserves game on the weekend hurt his chances and still building back from his injury.

As for all their talls, so be it. One - we have McCartin, Ramps, Blakey and Fox who can all play tall if needed in defence. And two - Essendon's ball movement in recent weeks has become very static, so if they want to overload on height and exaggerate the problem they have, go for it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Let's finish off the bombers season.

Veterans List
    Channel 7 said that Stringer is in doubt. Good news if true, because he loves kicking goals against us.

Stringer is horribly unfit this year. The Bombers version of Daniel Rich

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Stringer is horribly unfit this year
    Not paying for a contract?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Stringer is horribly unfit this year. The Bombers version of Daniel Rich
    But as Mel noted, he always seems to turn it on against us. I hope he misses this week. Another win and we can jump Carlton and Richmond as they play Collingwood and Melbourne respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Not paying for a contract?
    Contract year next year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    But as Mel noted, he always seems to turn it on against us. I hope he misses this week. Another win and we can jump Carlton and Richmond as they play Collingwood and Melbourne respectively.
    Don’t know why but I’ve got a sneaking feeling Carlton are going to beat the Pies.

Veterans List
    Contract year next year

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t know why but I’ve got a sneaking feeling Carlton are going to beat the Pies.
    Good morning Mark. I'll give you some form to reconsider your thoughts on this one. The Brown Paper Baggers are coming off a training run, on the carpet, against the Druggies, who have put out a confidential memo to all other clubs that they are happy to play them back into form. Fortunately our star recruit Tom Barrass (no i on the end) did a shoulder carrying his bag from the bus before the game, which allowed Charlie C to kick a bag. Whereas Collinggggwooood beat the other top contender on their own dung heap and have a full list to pick from. Even the American is hanging on by a thread after a woeful performance, but he does play well at "The G". The cheque book mob have lost Silvagni to a knee and Walsh with a hammie. And the Pies love the "G" more than their mums. True, the week prior the salary cap cheats beat Port, but again that was on the concrete slab.

I trust this info helps you regain some of your sanity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast