Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buddy retires

Always a bit of a shame when a great public career ends and the realisation comes that time has caught another one and their own particular magic is no longer going to be produced. Though I'm sorta glad that he retired this season, rather than stretching it out another season, where there was a strong possibility that he might have ended up hobbling around in the VFL.

And I think it's also nice that he was playing well on Saturday, possibly even trying a new role of running further into the midfield and supplying raking kicks into the deep forward pairing of Amartey and McDonald. Which if correct, reflects well on him and his willingness to try something new in his 19th season. Would have liked to have seen that working in a finals run, but hey, it's now up to the other forwards to carry the load, and I'm sure they all would have learnt plenty from him over the years.

As far as memories go, I think I'll go for one that's strong, because it's been imprinted over and over again. That is, feeling quite confident, when he lined in the Buddy zone, of around 50-60 metres out on the left half forward flank, then watching the ball sail through about three quarter post height, with his odd right to left fade, bringing the ball back over the goal umpire's head.

On the Rookie List
    Sad news, but not unexpected. What a fantastic player he has been and we have been fortunate to watch him run around for the Swans.
    I was reminded of a conversation I was having with my uncle when we recruited him. I was being all earnest and worrying about his impact on the style of play and how his salary would affect other players and our Bloods culture. My uncle told me stop being a @@@@@head, and then went on to say that Buddy is one the best he had ever seen and it will privilege to watch him wearing red and white. He was bang on.

I wish him and his family all the best for the future, and hopefully his offspring, wearing red and white, will be more Gary Ablett Jnr than Nathan Ablett.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Always a bit of a shame when a great public career ends and the realisation comes that time has caught another one and their own particular magic is no longer going to be produced. Though I'm sorta glad that he retired this season, rather than stretching it out another season, where there was a strong possibility that he might have ended up hobbling around in the VFL.

And I think it's also nice that he was playing well on Saturday, possibly even trying a new role of running further into the midfield and supplying raking kicks into the deep forward pairing of Amartey and McDonald. Which if correct, reflects well on him and his willingness to try something new in his 19th season. Would have liked to have seen that working in a finals run, but hey, it's now up to the other forwards to carry the load, and I'm sure they all would have learnt plenty from him over the years.

As far as memories go, I think I'll go for one that's strong, because it's been imprinted over and over again. That is, feeling quite confident, when he lined in the Buddy zone, of around 50-60 metres out on the left half forward flank, then watching the ball sail through about three quarter post height, with his odd right to left fade, bringing the ball back over the goal umpire's head.
    Great call. And here you go - jumped to 25 secs in, and there one is.

Lance Franklin 2016 Highlight Reel - YouTube
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Buddy retires

What an absolute privilege it’s been to not only see Buddy play, but play for us! So many highlights, so many great moments. One I’ll always remember was a tight game against the Giants, out at Homebush, when he kicked an absolute pearler from the 50m line, right on the boundary. It was just perfection, and watching it sail over the defenders’ heads, I turned to my mate and said “Lance Franklin is an absolute genius”. How lucky to have seen that genius close up, week in and week out for so long. Thanks Buddy, you’ve given us so much joy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    What an absolute privilege it’s been to not only see Buddy play, but play for us! So many highlights, so many great moments. One I’ll always remember was a tight game against the Giants, out at Homebush, when he kicked an absolute pearler from the 50m line, right on the boundary. It was just perfection, and watching it sail over the defenders’ heads, I turned to my mate and said “Lance Franklin is an absolute genius”. How lucky to have seen that genius close up, week in and week out for so long. Thanks Buddy, you’ve given us so much joy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The one at 8.31 in here? Just magic

Lance Franklin 2017 Highlights - YouTube

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Fitting that one was on Davis too, one of the few that could keep him in check
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Probably not the way he wanted to go out, but better than it might have been MSN
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 1st August 2023 at 02:43 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

That’s the one. Genius. Thanks for sharing this, it brought back some great memories.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    That’s the one. Genius. Thanks for sharing this, it brought back some great memories.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Not at all. One of my faves too. It’s those goals no one else can kick you remember most.

I work for myself so have put down work this arvo to read and view everything. I’ll make it up tomorrow. 😂

Veterans List
    A logical and sensible decision. With a calf injury it takes time to come back and get a fitness level. With 4 rounds left it would be hard to see him recovering. Mills missed a number of games and he is much younger. They probably checked the scans and said, no chance.

Veterans List
    After watching the press conference and then seeing his many highlights, I also became emotional as it hit me that this is it. We have been so privileged to see him play in the Red and the White.

I wish that his career didn't end this way and that he was able to play a farewell game in front of a huge home crowd.

Thanks Buddy for the many highlights and thanks for helping and mentoring the younger players.

❤🤍❤🤍❤🤍❤🤍❤🤍❤🤍❤

Senior Player

I remember that one as the best set shot he ever kicked for us. Massive moment in the game, too.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast