Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buddy retires

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    As a Swans fan it was a joy to watch how many games Buddy won on his own boot. I know this will upset people, but I could not understand why we never saw his brilliance when the finals came around, apart from the 2014 GF.
    He badly rolled his ankle a couple of minutes into the 2016 AFL-directed set piece.

The ball scarcely got to him in the 2022 debacle.

Pretty straightforward.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    He badly rolled his ankle a couple of minutes into the 2016 AFL-directed set piece.

Pretty straightforward.
    Correct.

Buddy was in fine form through the 2016 finals series, featuring in our best players in all three matches leading into the GF. Despite everything that went wrong for us that last match day in 2016, I believe we would have won but for Buddy’s early injury.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Despite everything that went wrong for us that last match day in 2016, I believe we would have won but for Buddy’s early injury.
    Me too.

What bad Buddy luck !

Such a charismatic, quick-thinking and mercurial player, the accuracy of getting the ball so precisely onto his left boot (for such a big man) and the burst of acceleration of his leg through the kick.
    On the run, often after selling the candy, the time to check and compute the distance and exactly where the goal posts were from his boot. Boom. Spinning, moving right to left, how do you do that, through the big ones. Astonishing .
    It appeared he wanted to play on. Wonder what changed his mind. The growing family and knowing his own body I guess (after nearly 20 years).
    Taking part in that 1000 goal celebration on the SCG on that day was so sensational and inclusive. Handled brilliantly by all .
    Thanks Buddy, it’s been a wonderful experience to have you at the Swans and watch you live on so many magical occasions.
    The nine year (visionary) contract?
    Totally worth it. Swans got it right . Pulled off one the great master stroke signings in the games history.

Shiver me Timbers … he’s gone .
    Feel so gloomy about it, the way, the timing, the year unfinished. bugger, however the very fond and illustrious memories will remain .

Hang on, he (and of course Jesinta) have got children !
    Yay .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Hang on, he (and of course Jesinta) have got children !
    Yay .
    Jesinta once posted a photo to her Instagram account of little Rocky clutching a Sherrin. She commented that Rocky takes it everywhere, would take it to bed if she let him.

So the interest is there. Just hope Gold Coast Suns aren’t the beneficiary (if their Academy is still a thing in years to come).

Of course Rocky takes a Sherrin everywhere.
    Have some more !

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Just as we woudn't have made the 2012 GF without him?
    Fair point when comparing it like that! I was emphazing how big part he played in us making those 3 GFs, even though unfortunately unsuccessful in each.

The media furore which erupted when we recruited Buddy a year on after winning 2012 flag, was laced with venom in us having to win flags to justify Bud's 9 year contract.

What was missed, was how much impact Bud had made off the field as well as on it, in drawing new fan base to the club/sport in NSW.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Given how vindictive the AFL were regarding Buddy coming to the Swans, it wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually transpires that the umpires were under orders to make sure we didn’t win in 2016.
    I have absolutely no doubt that was the case.....that and the fact that the Bulldogs hadn't won one for 54 years. A vengeful Victorian fairytale. It sickens me.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries

Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post

Pretty straightforward.
    Even in 2022 GF the ball went inside 50 a total of 32 times and Buddy was voted the worse on the ground. Hard to knock such a champ but most of his finals appearance games were disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Even in 2022 GF the ball went inside 50 a total of 32 times and Buddy was voted the worse on the ground. Hard to knock such a champ but most of his finals appearance games were disappointing.
    I would think at best it went approx 1m over the forward 50 line on at least half of those entries. It was not Buddy's fault that that the cats had all of their midfield back there and ready to repel at speed. Our forwards were the least of our problems

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Fair point when comparing it like that! I was emphazing how big part he played in us making those 3 GFs, even though unfortunately unsuccessful in each.

The media furore which erupted when we recruited Buddy a year on after winning 2012 flag, was laced with venom in us having to win flags to justify Bud's 9 year contract.

What was missed, was how much impact Bud had made off the field as well as on it, in drawing new fan base to the club/sport in NSW.
    Sure we added 2 key forwards to a premiership winning team, so yes there is an expectation that it will result in more premierships. However I suspect a big chunk of the media venum you refer to have had it's source at the AFL.
    Regarding 2016, I do think the deck was stacked in that grandfinal, but I do not suscribe to the 2016 conspiracy theories. Occhams razor suggests it would have been superfluous.
    Regarding Buddy's impact off field, if this new fan base actually sticks with the Swans/AFL - I think any sober evaluation of his career should recognise that his greatest impact wasn't anything that happened on the ground at all.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Buddy was a marketing dream and bought more people to the footy than anyone else could. No one has had better highlights.

His football contribution (for the Swans) is tougher to calculate. Played many great games but also didn’t deliver on expectation in many big finals (combo of form or injury).

Given the enormous chunk of our salary cap he took (which cost us players), I think it’s fair to be disappointed with the lack of premiership success.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast