Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: the other games. Almost everybody is still interested.

Round 21: the other games. Almost everybody is still interested.

Something of a strange situation for so late in the year, with only Hawthorn, North and West Coast totally gone. Obviously, while it's hard to construct a scenario where Fremantle makes it, I think there's still a mathematical possibility of them scraping into the eight and I suspect that at least some of their fans are still hanging on to that hope. Although that hope probably depends on Richmond beating the eighth placed Western Bulldogs tonight.

And on that game, it should be noted that Brett Rosebury will break the record tonight for the most AFL games umpired. Which is quite an achievement, and even though I can be a touch critical of umpires at times, generally I think they do a pretty good job of umpiring a game that's notoriously difficult to officiate. So, well done him. I also suspect that he might be a little bit glad, that his milestone didn't fall in a game where Stevic is also officiating and Luke Darcy is commentating. Otherwise, Darcy would've spent much of Rosebury's night, stating over and over again, that Stevic is "the best in the business". And if anyone doesn't think Darcy could be so obtuse, then I refer them to a recent game, in which both Daisy Pearce and Dale Thomas were in the commentary team. Because of that, one of their fellow commentators announced that to avoid confusion, they would be referring to Thomas as Dale. It then took Darcy about ten seconds to start calling him Daisy. And like a dripping tap, he kept it up all night.

Anyway, Saturday starts with Essendon hosting West Coast. Just for the laughs, it'd be nice if West Coast could make it two wins in a row. Of course, long odds, but can you imagine the state of the Essendon crowd?

Next up, Gold Coast will try to keep the finals hopes alive against Adelaide. Unfortunately, they'll be without their inspirational skipper, Touk Miller, who's been suspended for making contact with the groin of Dayne Zorko. I haven't seen the incident, but I feel that there's two main options. Either it was totally accidental, or Zorko did something to deserve it.

The twilight game is Hawthorn and Collingwood. Pass.

Of more interest is Geelong hosting Port. If Port manage to get up, and at the same time, we beat GWS, then it would do our finals hopes a world of good. So, go the Power!

Sunday starts with North and Melbourne in Hobart. It seems that Clarkson is returning to the coach's box for this game. If North win, then it'll probably see the start of another episode of Clarko is the messiah. So, go the Demons. And while I'm sure that there's good reasons not to release the salary details of coaches, I would be interested to know who got paid more for coaching North this year: Clarkson or Ratten?

Next up I'm hoping for a St Kilda win over Carlton. I mean, earlier in the season, rabid Carlton fans had written their season off and were vengefully turning on players, staff and management. Now that they're all optimistic again, I'd really like to see that optimism cruelly dashed.

Finally Fremantle hosts Brisbane. Don't really care who wins, but it might be a good game.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Something of a strange situation for so late in the year, with only Hawthorn, North and West Coast totally gone. Obviously, while it's hard to construct a scenario where Fremantle makes it, I think there's still a mathematical possibility of them scraping into the eight and I suspect that at least some of their fans are still hanging on to that hope. Although that hope probably depends on Richmond beating the eighth placed Western Bulldogs tonight.
    Yes, Fremantle can mathematically make the finals but it relies on a lot of games having the right result. Fremantle needs to win all their games, then the top four teams need to win theirs against middle sides, the bottom three win against middle sides, and when middle sides play each other the lower side wins.

When I tried this, I got Fremantle into seventh, and they could have been as high as sixth if I didn't tip Sydney to win all games (and finish fifth) because why not. Richmond ended up ninth. (Sydney ended up 5th with 12 and a half wins, and Gold Coast in 15th had 10 wins.)

It interesting how such chances are called "mathematical" when mathematics has a concept of events that can occur but have zero probability of doing so.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Port Adelaide has been fined $100,000 for not performing the concussion test on Aliir. $50,000 of it will be included in the soft cap.

After seeing the footage, I just can't understand how the doctor decided not to perform the HIA test. Especially with all the concussion scrutiny in recent times.

It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL introduced their own doctors to monitor each game and ensure that something like this doesn't happen again.

Doctor did perform HIA test but not the unfortunately named SCAT test. In true Gillon style the AFL says there’s no need to bring in independent doctors. Blind Freddie can see there’s a huge conflict of interest. Particularly in a case like this!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Bulldogs absolutely smashing the Tigers half way through the first quarter. Already 5 goals up.

7 goals up.

Better for us if the Tigers win, which looks very improbable now 91-42

The Dogs should win their next two matches too. They'll be playing finals this year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Doctor did perform HIA test but not the unfortunately named SCAT test. In true Gillon style the AFL says there’s no need to bring in independent doctors. Blind Freddie can see there’s a huge conflict of interest. Particularly in a case like this!
    Yes, club doctors are club employees. How on earth can they possibly be the right person to decide on whether it's okay for a
    player to continue playing? Does Gill not know there is going to be a lawyer-fest that is going to cost the league and clubs tens,
    if not hundreds of millions of dollars over this issue in the not too distant future.

We just saw what the post Cotchin/Martin Richmond will look like. Probably take reiwold out too. Not contenders for a while.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

And on that game, it should be noted that Brett Rosebury will break the record tonight for the most AFL games umpired. Which is quite an achievement, and even though I can be a touch critical of umpires at times, generally I think they do a pretty good job of umpiring a game that's notoriously difficult to officiate. So, well done him. I also suspect that he might be a little bit glad, that his milestone didn't fall in a game where Stevic is also officiating and Luke Darcy is commentating. Otherwise, Darcy would've spent much of Rosebury's night, stating over and over again, that Stevic is "the best in the business". And if anyone doesn't think Darcy could be so obtuse, then I refer them to a recent game, in which both Daisy Pearce and Dale Thomas were in the commentary team. Because of that, one of their fellow commentators announced that to avoid confusion, they would be referring to Thomas as Dale. It then took Darcy about ten seconds to start calling him Daisy. And like a dripping tap, he kept it up all night.
    I still recall the joy of a game last year when Darcy referred to Sam Reid as Ben, three times in a row. And I’m prepared to bet alot of money that he couldn’t spell either Sam or Ben.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Am too lazy to research this myself - Essendon has the luxury of playing the Eagles and Norf twice this season. Anyone know which other clubs get that distinct advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I still recall the joy of a game last year when Darcy referred to Sam Reid as Ben, three times in a row. And I’m prepared to bet alot of money that he couldn’t spell either Sam or Ben.
    I'm also willing to bet, that the role he most often played in his school plays, was a tree. Yet now he's making his living as a communicator.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast