Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 22: the other games. We could be fifth.

Senior Player
    If we make the finals, we will be dangerous
    Also, we will not be the hunted. Has always suited us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I don't agree with this 'won't do any damage' line. I think we can take it up to any opposition, as I expect we'll see in round 24.
    I really hope your right and I do believe we certainly have that capability....I just think we will run out of puff. Sincerely hope I'm wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I don't agree with this 'won't do any damage' line. I think we can take it up to any opposition, as I expect we'll see in round 24.
    Yes, it could be argued that we've already won an elimination final or two, during our recent winning run. If we keep that up, we'd probably host a final against the Saints, Giants or Bulldogs. Which seems perfectly winnable. Then who knows what shape our hosts would be the next week?

Although, now that I think of it, I probably wouldn't want to face Geelong in the first game.

Has there ever been a GF after which the winners miss finals the following year and the “crushed” losers don’t?

If we can find a way to come out even in clearances / contested possessions (as we did on Saturday) and get our injured players back I think we’ll go alright.

Winning the next two is a big ask

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it could be argued that we've already won an elimination final or two, during our recent winning run. If we keep that up, we'd probably host a final against the Saints, Giants or Bulldogs. Which seems perfectly winnable. Then who knows what shape our hosts would be the next week?

Although, now that I think of it, I probably wouldn't want to face Geelong in the first game.
    Yeah, Geelong and Carlton would be tough (but winnable). I'd fancy us against the others.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Nice to see the Fairypups ans GWS doing the right thing by us .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Has there ever been a GF after which the winners miss finals the following year and the “crushed” losers don’t?
    1998. Adelaide d North Melbourne. 1999. North Melbourne d Carlton. Adelaide finished 13th.

There may be more recent examples.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hate to bring it up but: 2016-2017. Not that the Swans were crushed.

More recently: 2020-2021 (Richmond, Geelong).
    Last edited by neilfws; 13th August 2023 at 10:56 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    What would be funny is if we’re the grand finalist to make the finals, and Geelong arent. No consolation but still funny given all the rhetoric coming into the season.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    What would be funny is if we’re the grand finalist to make the finals, and Geelong arent. No consolation but still funny given all the rhetoric coming into the season.
    Even a couple of months ago the prevailing view amongst the Fox pundits was that Sydney were the most disappointing team of the season, while Geelong had got their act together, were going to "run the table" and how no-one in the top eight would want to meet them in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    If anyone has a bit of spare cash, it'd probably be a good time to invest in the Geelong property market.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I really hope your right and I do believe we certainly have that capability....I just think we will run out of puff. Sincerely hope I'm wrong though!
    Could be the first time that stupid week off could suit us?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast