Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 23: the other games. For whom shall the wheels fall off?

Round 23: the other games. For whom shall the wheels fall off?

Well, I'm sort of hoping that the wheels start to fall off Collingwood tonight. While they have played plenty of excellent football and have justifiably been premiership favourites for much of the season, there's something quite appealing about them losing their way late. Not that they've really shown any signs of doing that, but who knows, a couple of more key injuries and a thumping tonight, could see their confidence eroding and their attention being distracted, by the amount of times that the word, Colliwobbles, is being uttered. Here's hoping.

In contrast to tonight's high stakes clash between Collingwood and Brisbane, the first Saturday clash between Richmond and North seems to be a total irrelevance.

Then there's the clash were I'm really hoping some wheels will fall off: Gold Coast hosting Carlton. While we effectively killed off Gold Coast last week, it would be so nice if they caused a massive upset, because if they did, there would be still be a chance of Carlton missing the eight. Lose that and their match against GWS next week could be an elimination final. Probably long odds, but think of all the fun that could be had, watching their fans go into frenzied and total meltdown. Probably even money that Ikon Park would go up in flames.

The twilight match between Essendon and GWS is very close to being an elimination final. Not quite fatal for the loser, but if it was Essendon, they would have to beat Collingwood in the final round to have any chance of making it.

On Saturday night, our match against Adelaide is not quite an elimination final for us, but it is for Adelaide. Which makes it tough, but we have been winning tough games of late.

Much the same deal for St Kilda and Geelong. Not totally an elimination final for St Kilda, but it almost certainly would be for Geelong. While I've virtually no confidence in St Kilda's form, it would be nice if they got up.

After slumping to a loss against Hawthorn last week, I'm sure many Western Bulldogs fans would have looked up who they were playing this week and were overjoyed to see that it was West Coast. I wonder how big the free kick differential in favour of West Coast would have to be for them to have a win? Here's hoping. And it would make a fun press conference. "Luke, you lost the free kick count 36-4, do you think it was a factor in the one point loss?"

Then the round finishes with two games that have no relevance to our finals chances: Hawthorn v Melbourne and Fremantle v Port.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Then the round finishes with two games that have no relevance to our finals chances: Hawthorn v Melbourne and Fremantle v Port.
    That may not be true.

Suppose Brisbane wins tonight. That means they have second spot almost certainly secured given they are unbeaten at the Gabba this year and host St Kilda there in the final round. If Melbourne then wins (or Carlton loses), Melbourne will have secured a top four spot, but top two will be out of reach.

So they rock up to the SCG on Sunday week and do they really want to win? I imagine they'd much rather finish in 4th and face a still-wounded Collingwood at the MCG than travel up to the Gabba in the first week of the finals. Now, of course I'm not suggesting that Melbourne wouldn't try against us, but...

I hope St Kilda win so that Geelong doesn't make the finals.

Senior Player
    Grundy dropped again this week

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I often find games at Marvel Stadium extremely disappointing. With a roof over the stadium meaning the ground is always dry and wind-free, I expect games to be exciting, highly skilled affairs. The opposite is often the case.

Tonight's game is a ripper so far, however. 10 goals in the first quarter with both teams playing aggressive, attacking football! Enjoyable to watch - especially with the Pies currently losing.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If Brisbane make the GF, they’ll be arguing it should be shifted to Marvel
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    If Brisbane make the GF, they’ll be arguing it should be shifted to Marvel
    Don't know why Collingwood are playing it at Marvel? Brisbane have a very good recent record there, but a terrible one at the MCG.

- - - Updated - - -

Becoming a bit of a thrashing now.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Don't know why Collingwood are playing it at Marvel? Brisbane have a very good recent record there, but a terrible one at the MCG.

- - - Updated - - -

Becoming a bit of a thrashing now.
    Don't question it deja - just sit back and enjoy watching Collingwood suffer its third loss in the last 4 games!

That’s not premiership form, allegedly.

Senior Player
    Brisbane.... they look pretty good tonight. Man, they have a lot of good players. And as the commentators are saying, this is their
    sixth consecutive win over Collingwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Don't question it deja - just sit back and enjoy watching Collingwood suffer its third loss in the last 4 games!
    Perhaps the best thing was that the much vaunted Collingwood last quarter comeback didn't happen.

On the veteran's list
    Best thing is it virtually means Melbourne won’t be playing for top two against us. In fact they may prefer to slip to fourth to avoid going th Brisbane.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast