Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Round 23 Crows v Swans

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Try being the umpire. He’s living it. Turned off social media and barely taking calls (understandably).
    That was sort of my point.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That was sort of my point.
    Good point (pun probably not intended)

Senior Player
    As per usual there are lots of people who weren't there with opinions flying around here, there and everywhere..
    And there is one person who is paid to be there and make decisions, which he did. I think I'm going with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    As per usual there are lots of people who weren't there with opinions flying around here, there and everywhere..
    Being there makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I was in Row C section 147 (just behind the point post opposite side to where Keays kicked from). So it happened right in front of me and I had a great view of it. In the heat of the moment can’t recall enough to even remotely offer an opinion. Watching multiple replays of poor camera angles or grainy, shaky iPhone footage has only marginally improved that.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    And there is one person who is paid to be there and make decisions, which he did. I think I'm going with the latter.
    That’s more sensible. If he’s confident in his call, it’s the umpires call.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Would improve 100% if they got rid of Andy Maher. How he has survived in the media for so long has me astonished.
    Brownest beak in the business

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So here's the AFL being typically reactionary again.

Interesting though it confirms Lloyd was adamant it had hit the post, but so too was the officiating field umpire in Brett Rosebury. Which makes the decision by Gil to shame the goal umpire and stand him down even worse.

AFL confirms score review change ahead of finals series
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Try being the umpire. He’s living it. Turned off social media and barely taking calls (understandably).
    Indeed. I did a couple of games a few years back at an Accountants Round Robin (yes the Big 4 were there) and it was a windy day. When the ball is high in the air on those days it moves around like you wouldn't believe. There was one incident where I believed the ball sneaked in for a goal and the full back gave it to me something shocking. It was above goal post height and deviated at the last moment. Over a few drinks after the game he came over and apologised. I told him I thought he was BOG.

Your standing on the goal line or behind it and a pack is around the footy, next second the ball is coming straight at you and you have to know who kicked the bloody pill. That day gave me a healthy respect for goal umpires.
    When my boys played junior footy I did a bit of goal umpiring. One day I was at the end we were kicking to and ball went over the heads by a metre, and the 16 year old full back went nuts saying he touched it. Of course the parents then chimed in. Imagine the abuse from behind the goals AFL goal umpires get.

Remember the furore of the Tom Lynch shot at goal a few years ago.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Andy is good in his role , the way they take the piss and he rolls with it effortlessly …
    They are a very clever threesome , and most of their gags are seamless .
    I have noticed over the years that radio and TV stations have their resident "hacks". Andy is one of them so he must be well respected in both media. He is the sort of bloke they call in when someone calls in sick at the last minute. Mind you, Andy is no hack when it comes to sporting knowledge, he is very funny at times and not afraid to speak his mind on footy issues, when others are reticent to do so in case they incur the wraith of the AFL.

If the goal umpire referred it to the ARC as ' I believe it is a behind,' I wonder if they would have overruled?
    I'm not sure there is enough evidence from the channel 7 angles to change the outcome. Umpires call.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Interesting though it confirms Lloyd was adamant it had hit the post, but so too was the officiating field umpire in Brett Rosebury. Which makes the decision by Gil to shame the goal umpire and stand him down even worse.

Thanks for posting. Have been waiting all week to find out Lloydy's view. Very, very interesting to see that one of the field umpires also thought it hit the post. Yet the poor goal umpire has been hung, drawn and quartered based on footage that is so dicey that the score reviewer has an "umpire's call" option to defer to.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

If the goal umpire and the officiating umpire thought it was a point, there was absolutely no need to call for a review (even if they were wrong). The review is for if there is doubt. Rightly or wrongly, there seemed to be no doubt in the minds of the only two officials that mattered.

I’d love to see a video expert analyse the “iPhone footage” properly to get their assessment and opinion.

Veterans List
    If the goal umpire and the officiating umpire thought it was a point, there was absolutely no need to call for a review (even if they were wrong). The review is for if there is doubt. Rightly or wrongly, there seemed to be no doubt in the minds of the only two officials that mattered.

I’d love to see a video expert analyse the “iPhone footage” properly to get their assessment and opinion.

Agreed. And still no sign of the audio from the post. I wonder if we'll ever hear Gil say "Oops, I did that wrong - sorry I ruined your life Goal Umpire." So umpire in perfect position says behind, very experienced field umpire agrees so no call for a review was needed yet the Crows were robbed?