Thread: Come back Buddy!!

Come back Buddy!!

For all those conspiracy theorists who think that AFL has been screwing the Swans over for a decade to punish us for recruiting Buddy, the next slap in the Swans beak.

With retirement of Buddy, the AFL has now seen fit to reconsider the Veterans List concept.

A spot for a single veteran. Must have played 10 years at a club (Buddy ✅), be over 32 (Buddy ✅), and have his salary included in the cap (Buddy ✅). “Buddy’s gone? Ok, let’s allow all the other clubs keep their veterans for at least another season”.

Sam Kerr hurt her calf. Was back playing 3 matches within a week. With a few months off and his salary minimally impacting our cap …. can Bud go on?!

While he won’t take up cap space, he will take a list spot but 1) is he the worst player on the list (is there anyone currently on the list who has no chance of ever getting a game, whereas Bud probably would); 2) we never go in with a full compliment of lists spots anyway.

The AFL think they can screw us and Bud over … well he ain’t off our list yet! He can still re-sign! As soon as the AFL ratify the Veteran’s list, pull a swifty, another Jordan-esque announcement “Another one more.”

**Sam Reid might also qualify as he’d be 32 by next season but he might not take up much cap space anyway, if he was even on our list & included in the cap as a non-veteran listed player
    Last edited by goswannies; 22nd August 2023 at 10:54 AM.

Sam Kerr did stuff all when she played for the matildas in this world cup (apart from one goal, where the percentage play was to pass it).

I think Buddy would be the same.

Time to move on from Buddy , our forward line is already more unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, apologies, as his salary is still in the cap, no benefit. Continue with your lap of honour this weekend.

Senior Player
    I am secretly hoping they'll name him as an emergency and park him in the goal square for one last quarter

But no, let's enjoy the lap and the future of the forward line.

Senior Player
    Part of me wishes he is training and recovered enough to be named in the Grand Final, but it would be unfair to the forwards who won the last seven or eight games to get us there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Part of me wishes he is training and recovered enough to be named in the Grand Final, but it would be unfair to the forwards who won the last seven or eight games to get us there.
    Unless we played him further up the field as a nearly 200cm utility between the arcs delivering the ball to the more unpredictable forwards

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I've been having those same thoughts but the last part of your sentence is extremely relevant. Time to move on.

On the veteran's list
    You can’t use Sam Kerr (or any soccer player) as an example in relation to the necessary fitness for AFL. An AFL player runs twice as far and at high speed, they get tackled heavily, need to jump more often and don’t spend time writhing on the ground.

Sam Kerr is a champion but the game she plays is chalk and cheese to Aussie Rules.

Time to move on from Buddy and look to the future.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    No thanks. Bud has retired and everyone should respect that it was the right move.

Maybe we could move on a little easier if we changed the RWO banner? 2 all time Swans greats but we need to look forward.