Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of Premier League

The future of Premier League

Over the years the 1st division Sydney comp has had many names.

The overall history is that an eight team semi professional league is the natural amount of teams for a high level comp. Home and away plus a bye and a rep weekend.

So, what teams?

IMO all teams must have a junior base.

North Shore, Baulko, Penno, Easts/UNSW and St George are givens.

Add in Sydney Uni for their inner city work and private school connections.

So that leaves three into two?

UTS are a barnacle that adds little to the lcoal game. Drop them to the lower leagues and win flags against Penrith or Cronulla.

Manly have a good junior league and should be retained.

Wests have poor juniors and a marginal leagues club that used to bankroll them. I’d keep them for now but what we really need is a strong western Sydney team like what Campbelltown used to be. Problem is that, despite GWS AFL in western Sydney has never been weaker

I would think all 9 clubs from this year remain for next year, with South West moving up to make it a 10 team competition.

The desired alignment between Men’s Prems and Women’s Prems should be a step closer with Power dropping down and St George moving up.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    I would think all 9 clubs from this year remain for next year, with South West moving up to make it a 10 team competition.

The desired alignment between Men’s Prems and Women’s Prems should be a step closer with Power dropping down and St George moving up.
    That's what I'm hearing as well.
    I'm also hearing that Prems Reserves & Platinum will be abolished and we're going back to divisionalisation.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    That's what I'm hearing as well.
    I'm also hearing that Prems Reserves & Platinum will be abolished and we're going back to divisionalisation.
    Wow, surprised prems reserves will be desolved too, any idea what the reasoning is there?

Seems like next year is going to be a whack year for premierships, those graded incorrectly are going to get a nice bit of a silverware

Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    Wow, surprised prems reserves will be desolved too, any idea what the reasoning is there?

Seems like next year is going to be a whack year for premierships, those graded incorrectly are going to get a nice bit of a silverware
    It is designed to make it easier for Platinum clubs to work their way in to Prems. Understandably the AFL are keen to get a club from south west Sydney or western Sydney up in to Prems eventually and create a strong club to represent the game in those growing geographical areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I posted this suggestion on another thread, but more applicable here.

"What if SWS, Parra and Camden were all promoted (Yes all three would need some special assistance from Sydney AFL).

That would stop any newly promoted "West" team from poaching juniors from each other.

That would give 4 or 5 "bottom half" teams so they would regularly get wins or play in competitive games. It would be a perfect 12-team competition.

If we looked at it based on today's end of season ladders there would be a top 4, middle 3 and bottom 5.

The danger with going back to a divisionalised competition is that you could very well see a scenario of a 4 team Div 1 competition and a 20 team Div 5 competition, if clubs take advantage of the nomination process.

Also if you look at Junior pathway numbers there is a real need for another Prems club in the lower North Shore. My understanding is that this is the new Junior heartland of AFL is the lower North Shore.
    Without a complete change in the Uni administration Mac Uni will never be a Prems club. Could St Ives be resurrected? Could a new Prems club emerge out of Mosman or North Sydney Oval?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Also if you look at Junior pathway numbers there is a real need for another Prems club in the lower North Shore. My understanding is that this is the new Junior heartland of AFL is the lower North Shore.
    Without a complete change in the Uni administration Mac Uni will never be a Prems club. Could St Ives be resurrected? Could a new Prems club emerge out of Mosman or North Sydney Oval?
    Competion has regressed since 2020, standards have slipped, clubs are basically broke, volunteers tired and the only thing keeping the top 4-5 growing is an elusive premiership. ABsolute folly to think the platinium teams could individually compete, fractured junior pathways and going head to head.

Governence has cut to the bone via PPS, VFL Interchange and over ruled rather than supporting club improvement acrosss many areas, continue to do nothing about single issue and that is FACILITIES. Clubs are told what to do, how to run game day, and then are herded into a managed environment by the AFL where every club just follows there lead.

Long gone are days where AFL SYdney should be helping clubs improve standards with an understanding that there is no competition without clubs. Most clubs are that insular, that they simply do not understand the Sydney ecosystem, impact that VFL has on the local competition, lack of unisex facilities, all while AFL governence is beholden to Swans & GWS.

Its an inditement on community compettion that both Swans & Giants VFL Teams are not even close to competing at finals level. Yet our governing body rules players ineligable, at a time when we should be showcasing Sydney footy.

The local competition is a million miles away from where it needs to be to underpin standards and promoting teams for the sake of it is not the answer. Problem with he governence is that for the last 6 years they have accepted less than minimum standards from PD clubs, which speaks to lack of leadership and ability to make the tough calls.

Until these are made, the local competition standard will never reach a level that befits NSW having a state level standard, with all PD clubs competitive and prospering.

Almost Football Legend

"What if SWS, Parra and Camden were all promoted (Yes all three would need some special assistance from Sydney AFL).
    Parra got lapped by North Shore's thirds yesterday. Parra's a good club, they've got a great facility at Gipps Road; they may even get into Div 1 in a divisionalised structure - but there's no way they could be competitive at Prems level.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    It is designed to make it easier for Platinum clubs to work their way in to Prems. Understandably the AFL are keen to get a club from south west Sydney or western Sydney up in to Prems eventually and create a strong club to represent the game in those growing geographical areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this, makes sense

That would stop any newly promoted "West" team from poaching juniors from each other.

That would give 4 or 5 "bottom half" teams so they would regularly get wins or play in competitive games. It would be a perfect 12-team competition.

If we looked at it based on today's end of season ladders there would be a top 4, middle 3 and bottom 5.
    On the basis of above, agreed by allowing more into the comp you'd have a more natural 3 tiered competition with minimal need to stress about being pumped in Prems Reserves each week. We should not be concerned with equalisation in terms of the fixture, as the AFL is not.

More important, each team should have their second grade team in no less than Division 2 with intent to bring them to Div 1 standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    The danger with going back to a divisionalised competition is that you could very well see a scenario of a 4 team Div 1 competition and a 20 team Div 5 competition, if clubs take advantage of the nomination process.
    Nightmare if those come back, had a year where we weren't even scheduled to play against another club during the season and it was only 13 odd teams in the comp over 16 games.

I believe North Sydney Oval is utilised by Norths Rugby as well as Shute shield finals, correct me if I am wrong.

If anything something a little bit more north than North Shore may be better suited if there is a need around that St Ives sort of thinking as the Lower North Shore is serviced by North Shore Bombers already. Anyone that lives in the lower north shore, thats played at an "elite" private school (assuming juniors includes private school comp which is growing massively), is probably going to go with the "elite" club in North Shore should they exist too close.

If you want a better club for catching more of the juniors, its more than likely going to involve Mac Uni and perhaps other ways of improving it's catchment like it's location/ground use

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Camden were getting belted every week in Prems a couple of years ago, now they're dominating Platinum. Playing against Prems Reserves teams is about their level - going to divisionalisation works for them. Probably not so much for clubs where seniors & reserves will be split more often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast