Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Round 24: Swans v Demons @ SCG

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We know Errol’s kicks have a bit behind them…but Swans fan Liam felt it first hand
    "Did you mark it at least?"

Results probably as much if not more to do with catching technique than power...great fan story anyway.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    i’m-uninformed, a minor correction. I think you will find it was Hawthorn who had pick 3 that were considering playing a game by making a bid for Campbell in an attempt to force the Swans to take him so they could get Logan. I believe there were discussions in the lead up between the Swans and Hawthorn on this possibility, and the Swans called Hawthorn’s bluff by indicating they would pass on Campbell if this occurred
    North held pick two at the start of the draft, which became pick three after the bid for Ugle-Hagen by Adelaide. We held pick three at the start, which dropped to pick four and was used on McDonald after North chose Phillips. Hawthorn's first pick came immediately after our first, and they bid on Campbell (before eventually drafted Grainger-Barass).

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    i’m-uninformed, a minor correction. I think you will find it was Hawthorn who had pick 3 that were considering playing a game by making a bid for Campbell in an attempt to force the Swans to take him so they could get Logan. I believe there were discussions in the lead up between the Swans and Hawthorn on this possibility, and the Swans called Hawthorn’s bluff by indicating they would pass on Campbell if this occurred
    No. As I’ve posted on here before, Tom Papley’s wayward goal kicking in the final game of that season against Geelong cost us the game, but gifted us the higher draft pick. Hence, we got both Logan and Campbell. One of those twists of fate that can make a footy club. Thanks Paps.

And Liz, thanks for posting the Academy thread. It’s interesting to re-read and notice that Errol’s potential to be better than Campbell begins to emerge in a few of the posts from sharp observers, along with a couple of observations on his “Errol everywhere” position. I still have huge faith in Campbell, and he’s improved substantially this year and I expect him to impact games markedly next year - but it’s clear right now who the clubhouse leader is.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    And Stephens finished 8th!

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I noticed that also but didn't want to bring it up. That decision still really irritates me.
    Me too!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 1st September 2023 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Moving slightly away from the adulation of Errol (not that it's in any way undeserved), I also found it interesting reading the draft reports and seeing the highlights of Campbell. One of the reasons he was rated (and drafted) so highly was his ability to play inside as well as outside, but it's a role that we've not seen him used in at senior AFL level. I wonder if in the long term we will eventually see him there or we'll stick with him as an outside mid/halfback flanker.
    In my opinion Campbell is being played put of position. He has heaps of early speed and has a 2.85 seconds 20m to his credit. His advantage is in the middle where he can gain an early break, not in the positions requiring a high top speed plus stamina.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No. As I’ve posted on here before, Tom Papley’s wayward goal kicking in the final game of that season against Geelong cost us the game, but gifted us the higher draft pick. Hence, we got both Logan and Campbell. One of those twists of fate that can make a footy club. Thanks Paps.

And Liz, thanks for posting the Academy thread. It’s interesting to re-read and notice that Errol’s potential to be better than Campbell begins to emerge in a few of the posts from sharp observers, along with a couple of observations on his “Errol everywhere” position. I still have huge faith in Campbell, and he’s improved substantially this year and I expect him to impact games markedly next year - but it’s clear right now who the clubhouse leader is.
    Rewatched last year's qualifying final v Melbourne as part of my Father's Day Swans fiesta - was a reminder of how far Errol has come, not that he was bad, but he was very much a bit player. No reason to think that Campbell doesn't have this additional gear in him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Rewatched last year's qualifying final v Melbourne as part of my Father's Day Swans fiesta - was a reminder of how far Errol has come, not that he was bad, but he was very much a bit player. No reason to think that Campbell doesn't have this additional gear in him as well.
    Errol has become elite this year- hence his AA spot. Campbell is a different player altogether and I feel we haven’t found his best position yet to take advantage of his special kicking ability. In order to best utilise this weapon, he needs a fraction of an extra second with the ball and at the top level this is the hardest for young players to learn and achieve. Even Chad gets caught and the same with Campbell. However he does have pace so given game experience this will come and then his kicking will become truly lethal!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Errol has become elite this year- hence his AA spot. Campbell is a different player altogether and I feel we haven’t found his best position yet to take advantage of his special kicking ability. In order to best utilise this weapon, he needs a fraction of an extra second with the ball and at the top level this is the hardest for young players to learn and achieve. Even Chad gets caught and the same with Campbell. However he does have pace so given game experience this will come and then his kicking will become truly lethal!
    Campbell should be tried at centre bounces. If he gets on to the end of a clean centre clearance then look out.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718