Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 24: Swans v Demons @ SCG

Really feel for Jake Melksham after having an ACL confirmed. Such a devastating injury following a not obviously severe knock to the knee, and then the knee just giving way. He’s the kind of wholehearted player who gives his all every game that I admire. Possibly career-ending for the poor bloke, and just shattering after missing the Premiership a couple of years ago. Had the good sense to get out of Essendon and made Melbourne better.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So this game against the Deemons plus two against Geelong, one against against the pies were the only games where we were contained and trapped to only score between 37 and 56 this season.

Cats x 2
    Pies x 1
    Melbourne x 1

I wonder if those 4 games maybe high on our agenda this week to review the opposition strategy to minimise our ability to score ?

These are the coaches votes for the game.

10 Errol Gulden SYD
    8 Christian Petracca MELB
    5 Bayley Fritsch MELB
    5 Jack Viney MELB
    2 Callum Mills SYD

And these are the leading overall vote getters, with Butters winning and Errol in a highly credible 6th.

109 - Zak Butters (Port Adelaide)
    102 - Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
    99 - Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
    98 - Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
    91 - Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
    88 - Errol Gulden (Sydney)
    87 - Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
    86 - Caleb Serong (Fremantle)
    77 - Toby Greene (GWS Giants)
    77 - Jack Sinclair (St Kilda)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

10 Errol Gulden SYD
    5 Bayley Fritsch MELB
    5 Jack Viney MELB
    2 Callum Mills SYD

And these are the leading overall vote getters, with Butters winning and Errol in a highly credible 6th.

And Stephens finished 8th!

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    And Stephens finished 8th!
    I noticed that also but didn't want to bring it up. That decision still really irritates me.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

10 Errol Gulden SYD
    5 Bayley Fritsch MELB
    5 Jack Viney MELB
    2 Callum Mills SYD

I reckon the coaches award is the premier one, over the Brownlow, so to finish sixth is brilliant.

If I had a beef with that top ten, it’s that it’s also turning into a midfielder’s award. The idea Charlie Curnow isn’t on that leaderboard is just silly.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I noticed that also but didn't want to bring it up. That decision still really irritates me.
    And I bet the 17 clubs who didn’t bid on Gulden are more irritated!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    And I bet the 17 clubs who didn’t bid on Gulden are more irritated!
    Probably not because they wouldn't have got him. The only reason to wish they had bid (or bid earlier) would be to weaken the Swans' future draft hand (ie if they'd forced us into deficit).

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    There was a tweet going around from one of the footy journos just after he was drafted that Gulden was 21-22 on the Swans draft board. So definitely went below where he was rated by us at the time, would have been interesting what would have happened if a bid came in the 10-15 range

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    There was a tweet going around from one of the footy journos just after he was drafted that Gulden was 21-22 on the Swans draft board. So definitely went below where he was rated by us at the time, would have been interesting what would have happened if a bid came in the 10-15 range
    That's interesting because it was pretty clear that he was an absolute gun from the very start.

Ugle-Hagan is the only player drafted that year with any chance of having a more illustrious career: 2020 AFL draft - Wikipedia.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I find it astonishing that he lasted past pick 30. I find it surprising he wasn't higher than 21-22 on many clubs' boards, but flabbergasting that he wasn't higher on the Swans' board, given they had so much more access to him and must have known about his dedication, work ethic and footy IQ to a degree that the other clubs might not have realised.

I guess it is possible that the Swans' draft board reflected where they thought he would go rather than necessarily their ratings.

Even if they (the Swans) genuinely only rated him around 20ish, they might still have chosen to match a bid in the teens. It might have caused a hurried trading of a future second round pick to get the necessary points to match or they could have chosen to bear the deficit from the 2021 first round pick. If we had passed on Gulden we would have had to take a player with one of the junk picks we had at the end of the draft. I think overpaying (as they might have thought at the time) for a known quantity would have been a rational response.

Imagine if we had passed a much earlier pick and we were now watching him pick up his first AA selection in another club's colours. Gives me the heebie jeebies to think about that.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Found the tweet it was by Jon Ralph

https://x.com/ralphyheraldsun/status...mF1MljTULvAiDw

I’ve gone back and read some of the draft profiles written about him, both from amateur watchers and professional journos, to see why he was not rated higher and from what I can gather it’s nothing specific but rather his height that was his “weakness”

Take for example this profile Errol Gulden Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central)

The two weaknesses listed there are inside game and kicking consistency. The former he has definitely proven wrong this season but reading the article in detail he’s been marked down there because he played outside mid and small forward in the U18champs and his running ability would seem to have marked him out for a similar role in the AFL

The criticism about his kicking consistency is because he can mess up going for the tough kicks, something that can and will happen given the difficulty of the kicks he’s attempting. I’m not sure that you count that as a weakness if the coaches are giving him license to do so