Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elimination Final vs Carlton at MCG, Friday 8 September 2023, 7:50 PM

Our best football can beat anyone , we just need to sort out what’s going on from about The 20 minute mark on in the 3rd qtr .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are a good chance to beat any finalist, except probably Melbourne. Assuming Bailey Fitch will be fit through the finals, I think they will win the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Good point Big Cat, but Carlton were off the pace at that stage and that’s why we beat them with so many of our first teamers out. Until their game against the Giants they’ve been in top form. Let’s also admit they had their spot sewn up and the Giants were playing for their lives so mentally they proved stronger once they got on top in the last quarter.

Our game against them now is a different scenario all together. They want to prove something to their fans after being in the doldrums for so long ( where they rightly belong😊) and we have fitness issues. It will be very tough for us with the crowd roaring them on and so we can expect most of the 50/50’s to go their way. We certainly can’t win if we fade in the last- all our boys will need to contribute for the whole game.
    Its going to be even stark this week if they use their big bodied midfielders to advantage. Our midfielders will get tired even before the 3rd Quarter. I am sure the tactics will change from a contest to a possession game with our kicking ability in the first half which I think we can do on MCG. But it is hard against a team that is as tall as Carlton is. But maybe they go all out and leave nothing in the tank for this one. Tom Papley with 2 weeks rest and Justin McInerney really important.
    Leave the slow players in Ryan Clarke out of the team and keep Dylan Stephens as the substitute.
    I think we need a great game in the middle to win this one - otherwise we can get belted as in the Grand final !

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Its going to be even stark this week if they use their big bodied midfielders to advantage. Our midfielders will get tired even before the 3rd Quarter. I am sure the tactics will change from a contest to a possession game with our kicking ability in the first half which I think we can do on MCG. But it is hard against a team that is as tall as Carlton is. But maybe they go all out and leave nothing in the tank for this one. Tom Papley with 2 weeks rest and Justin McInerney really important.
    Leave the slow players in Ryan Clarke out of the team and keep Dylan Stephens as the substitute.
    I think we need a great game in the middle to win this one - otherwise we can get belted as in the Grand final !
    Please don’t mention that GF- we don’t want our boys (or us) to get depressed! We made it to the GF and let’s leave it at that. We can and will beat the Carpetbaggers if we’re on our game with the right team selection and play all 4 quarters- simple!😊

Heeney reckons our 4th quarter fade-outs are all in the mind.

"We're definitely not unfit. We're running games out nicely, but it's probably just adapting a little bit better in the last quarter and doing what we've been doing for longer."

Personally I’m staggered by that

'Turned it around nicely': Sydney Swan Isaac Heeney undeterred by criticism after return to form

This from the Mongrel Punta p1sstake of Sliding Doors.

If:
    Sydney fans thought their side copped the rough end of the AFL’s hard luck story, underdog favouritism in 2016…

Then: … I have some bad news

Sliding Drawers - Pre-Finals Edition - The Mongrel Punt

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This from the Mongrel Punta p1sstake of Sliding Doors.

If:
    Sydney fans thought their side copped the rough end of the AFL’s hard luck story, underdog favouritism in 2016…

Then: … I have some bad news

Sliding Drawers - Pre-Finals Edition - The Mongrel Punt
    Thanks for posting!

Spot on with the comment on our boys. Spot on with the advice to the AFL re: umpires. And just love the suggestion that the AFL should schedule Richmond v Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium in Round One next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Heeney reckons our 4th quarter fade-outs are all in the mind.

"We're definitely not unfit. We're running games out nicely, but it's probably just adapting a little bit better in the last quarter and doing what we've been doing for longer."

Personally I’m staggered by that

'Turned it around nicely': Sydney Swan Isaac Heeney undeterred by criticism after return to form
    To be fair, he’s not about to publicly say the team’s unfit one week out from finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone else here who was at the 1986 QF V Carlton when we last played them in a final at the MCG? Sticks in my mind as it was my first seeing my beloved Swans in a final live. (Too difficult as a young teenager to get to VFL park for 1977 EF via public transport and too young to attend 1970 SF).

Lost by 16pts in a game we could've easily won. Lost by 5 points the following week against Fitzroy which I also attended......gutted!!!! We weren't awarded "home" Sydney finals back then like they do now. Had to wait till 1996 to watch first finals win live V Hawthorn at SCG (with my dad on Fathers Day trip. Cresser kicking the winner at the death).

Waited till 2005 to watch us win first MCG final (live) v Saints in memorable PF and of course the following week 2005 Flag v WC (oh what a night!!!).

Unfortunately missed out on getting ticket for next Friday night, so wish all those going the best to revenge that 1986 QF loss. Looking forward to watch us play the Pies the following week at the G!

Senior Player
    Saw 1970, 77 and both 86 finals live. Of course 86 finals were at MCG even though we had finished second on ladder IIRC. 1986 was very frustrating. Gerard Healy missed an absolute sitter late v Fitzroy which would have sealed the game. My late dad and i went to 77 final v Richmond. Beaten soundly just like 1970 v Saints. Bobby Skilton's only final although he was past it by then. Peter Bedford was great that day and won the Brownlow that year.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    KSAS and Blood Fever – sounds like I have an extremely similar Swans history to you both. Saw all those finals you’ve mentioned. My Dad started taking me to South Melbourne games in 1961 when I was just 4. Had to wait 35 long years before I saw my club win a final! And another 9 to see it win a Premiership! Our record of making finals since 2003 has just been heavenly to us finals-starved South Melbourne Swans!

GO YOU MIGHTY BLOODS ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!

Senior Player
    Reckon I saw my first game with Dad circa 1959 at 5yo

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast