Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Finals Series

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    That said, the Bedford suspension is ridiculous (and I have to be honest- particularly in the light of our own Dane and Tom getting off, I thought theirs were worse).
    I don't think the three are comparable. The Swans were able to persuade the tribunal that Dane and Tom didn't initiate a bump on their opponents, but that they were accidental collisions between two players positioning themselves (in the Rampe case) or contesting a bouncing ball (in the McCartin case). There are plenty of instances during games where contact is made, a player comes off the worse for wear, but no-one thinks there should be a suspension. Just from our own games, a player recently ran headfirst into Wicks's shoulder/back/arm as Wicks was marking the ball. Heeney has "taken out" a couple with his backside as he has been crouched down picking up the ball.

Unfortunately for Bedford, it seems he did initiate the contact with Fisher and the AFL sees any action like that as a "bump". And it probably was more of a bump than some other actions that had been penalised - like Campbell's collision with Whitfield (?) that he received a week for (and which the Swans came close to contesting but in the end decided not to). The only vision I've seen of the incident is a 23 second clip from a single angle. It doesn't seem like the contact was excessive, but it rarely is nowadays. It's impossible to tell from that clip whether Fisher was telling the truth or not about whether the contact was essentially to his body or there was a high component.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Whately and Buckley were discussing the Bedford incident this morning, and they couldn't believe he was suspended. Whately AGAIN expressed his dissatisfaction with both Rampe and McCartin getting off for their bumps. He brought up the fact that the opposition players had concussion and a fractured cheek bone, whereas in Bedford's case the opponent had no injury. He said if Bedford was a more high profile player, there would be more publicity.

Whately is so frustrating, only concentrating on the injury and not whether the incident is a football act.
    Yes. Whately was ok with the behind several behind the play incidents which Robbo was scathing about. Whately said the player was not injured. One of those incidents did not get cited and it was one of our players, Ollie I think, on the receiving end. He has no idea what is a footy action and what isn't and only concentrates on injury which is stupid.

Not only that, Fisher had to leave ggd field and even though he came back in was stunned. I think Bedford's was a footy action as much as Rampe & McCartin's actions were. Gerard Whately is tunnel visioned. He always has been. Hd also does not like the Swans and was always saying how much help we have received. If hd can snipe the Swans he will

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Bedford free to play after appeals hearing. Good on him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/1025251/g...ppeals-hearing

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think the three are comparable. The Swans were able to persuade the tribunal that Dane and Tom didn't initiate a bump on their opponents, but that they were accidental collisions between two players positioning themselves (in the Rampe case) or contesting a bouncing ball (in the McCartin case). There are plenty of instances during games where contact is made, a player comes off the worse for wear, but no-one thinks there should be a suspension. Just from our own games, a player recently ran headfirst into Wicks's shoulder/back/arm as Wicks was marking the ball. Heeney has "taken out" a couple with his backside as he has been crouched down picking up the ball.

Unfortunately for Bedford, it seems he did initiate the contact with Fisher and the AFL sees any action like that as a "bump". And it probably was more of a bump than some other actions that had been penalised - like Campbell's collision with Whitfield (?) that he received a week for (and which the Swans came close to contesting but in the end decided not to). The only vision I've seen of the incident is a 23 second clip from a single angle. It doesn't seem like the contact was excessive, but it rarely is nowadays. It's impossible to tell from that clip whether Fisher was telling the truth or not about whether the contact was essentially to his body or there was a high component.
    I agree with your logic that they're not comparable, despite clearly deciding to compare them. I just thought the other 2 looked worse, if that makes sense, and there wasn't a lot in the Bedford one where I could really ascertain why it would be assessed more harshly (even agreeing with your read of it!).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Sanity prevails! It is crazy that they've had to wait this long to get him cleared, I don't see any real reason why this couldn't have been resolved and out of the way a week ago.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can't wait for tonight's game. A demons win will shut all those arrogant pies up.
    Pies game looks good in H&A last year, but came back to earth in the finals. (I meant even we beat them !).

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It says a lot about the Tribunal's handling of this incident when we're applauding that a Giant got off on appeal.

It's also ridiculous that an incident that occurred 11 days ago has to wait until the day of the first final before completing the Tribunal process. How can Bedford prepare adequately?

The AFL should review its Tribunal to make sure incidents are handled in a more timely manner.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    I'm at the MCG. It was pouring before but the rain has eased. My brother just showed me a tweet that there is lightning expected during the game, so the game will be stopped for up to 20 minutes if there is.

The Collingwood army was so loud when the team went through the banner.

I don't know who I want to win. I wish I already knew the result of our match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm at the MCG. It was pouring before but the rain has eased. My brother just showed me a tweet that there is lightning expected during the game, so the game will be stopped for up to 20 minutes if there is.

The Collingwood army was so loud when the team went through the banner.

I don't know who I want to win. I wish I already knew the result of our match.
    I suspect that the Collingwood army will convince you to go for Melbourne.

Amazed that the commentators are defending Maynard who has done plenty of dog acts in his career. Imagine if a Swans players did that - they'd be crucifying them

Bradshaw gone for 2+ weeks (concussion). Maynard gone for 3+ weeks for head high contact.
    Big for future finals

Veterans List
    Wow that doesn't look good for Brayshaw. From where I'm sitting I haven't seen him move. Medical staff from both teams are assisting.

Melee has started in Melbourne forward line!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I suspect that the Collingwood army will convince you to go for Melbourne.
    You are correct!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast