Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Finals Series

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    did you miss 2016?
    Ha! But I was referencing umpiring across the whole season. Even watching games where the Swans weren’t involved, there’s been some dreadful decision making, and not even in terms of bias. Just bad and befuddling umpiring. It’s a real issue for the game.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Collingwood won 3 finals by a total of 12 points.

Veterans List
    Four point game, but Lukes Darcy and Shuey can't find a vote for a Brisbane player?[IMG][/IMG]Screenshot_20230930_184513_AFL.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Four point game, but Lukes Darcy and Shuey can't find a vote for a Brisbane player?[IMG][/IMG]Screenshot_20230930_184513_AFL.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, well, it’s Luke Darcy.

And by the way, even if the umps wanted to pay advantage, tell me more about the miss of the over the shoulder high on Zac Bailey. Shocker.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Ha! But I was referencing umpiring across the whole season. Even watching games where the Swans weren’t involved, there’s been some dreadful decision making, and not even in terms of bias. Just bad and befuddling umpiring. It’s a real issue for the game.
    Agree. It's like a bit of a raffle with high contact, 50 metres and standing the mark just to name a few.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Afl app says Dunkley was injured. No mention in the commentary?
    I think he had a dislocated finger.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I thought it was a great spectacle

Now for no more tv or web next 48hrs otherwise I will see puffer fish McGuire gloating

Rrrrrrrrrrr 👽
    Oh God I'd totally forgotten about him. Now it's even worse!!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Oh God I'd totally forgotten about him. Now it's even worse!!
    At least he can't take credit for it.

Looking at all the comments on AFL instagram page it’s easy to see that people have very little faith in the umpiring and integrity of the sport.

As a one off I think it’s harsh but it’s a good micro of the macro. Fingers crossed the new CEO does something about it

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This is generally the worst year of umpiring I’ve seen in 30 years of footy, and I’m not even referencing how it affects us. They’ve added a fourth umpire to the field, but they keep overloading them with new rules and interpretations. I actually have some sympathy for them, but some of the decisions today were so subpar and lopsided - summed up by the last play re advantage. Brisbane neither knew it was their penalty, or had taken any control of the ball - so how they could have taken a decision to play on is beyond me.
    The Lions player was tackled below the knees as he was in the act of hand balling. Should have been called back. Looks like the ump got caught up in the moment with less than a minute left. Baillie stopped, then it was called advantage, and he was tackled and only got a scrappy kick. Poor decision and the umpire still could have called it back.

I thought the umpiring was ok except for the inconsistency on head high tackles. That one by Maynard in the last quarter was so obviously high. N.Daicos loves dropping the knees. And Ginnavan got pilloried last year for doing the same and the umpires stopped paying him frees. Looks like we have to put up with the Daicos favouritism for some years.

Veterans List
    Coleman from Brisbane was only one from Brisbane who got votes in the Coleman Medal. I imagine the consternation if Brisbane had won. Daniher was worthy of some recognition.

I thought Mitchell had a top game and his stats even belied how he played. 13 tackles, he ran all game and was "the" extractor of the game. Did a heck of a lot of one percenters that he didn't get a stat for.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Coleman from Brisbane was only one from Brisbane who got votes in the Coleman Medal. I imagine the consternation if Brisbane had won. Daniher was worthy of some recognition.

I thought Mitchell had a top game and his stats even belied how he played. 13 tackles, he ran all game and was "the" extractor of the game. Did a heck of a lot of one percenters that he didn't get a stat for.
    He was also largely tasked with keeping tabs on Neale, and did a good job of keeping him under the packs without freedom to move, while notching a batch of clearances himself. He was the best ‘underrated’ player on the ground.