Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFLW R2 2023: Swans vs Geelong 1.05pm Saturday 9 September 2023 @ NSO

An agreement between us and GWS not to draft each other's players unless the player was not required would seem to be beneficial to both clubs. I wonder how the AFL would react?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I thought that we were competitive throughout the second half, without really looking like winning. Plenty of strong contributions.
    Don't overlook the second quarter. In the second quarter, we outscored Geelong by 7 points.

Geelong won the game with a strong first quarter. After quarter time, Geelong outscored Sydney by one point. Though we lost by 27 points, it was a very competitive effort against a team that flogged the Bulldogs last week by a much bigger margin.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The atmosphere up at North Sydney didn't quite reach the heights of last week, but it was still a pleasant day at the footy. The crowd was only half the size of last week, which certainly contributed to the quieter atmosphere.
    I couldnt be there this week, any idea why the crowd should halve?
    It was the same venue, just a slightly different time. Was it because the Giants game is a local derby?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I couldnt be there this week, any idea why the crowd should halve?
    It was the same venue, just a slightly different time. Was it because the Giants game is a local derby?
    A few possible reasons:

- excitement last week at the opening of the season
    - fewer away fans (though there was a sprinkling of navy and white in the crowd, including a pair of irritating children sitting close to me who spent much of the afternoon singing the "We are Geelong, the greatest team of all...")
    - an expectation that we might get soundly beaten
    - the male players and their entourage possibly still down in Melbourne. (Though I did observe Bronwyn Gulden diligently carrying out her coaching responsibilities during the warm-up and at breaks. Maybe she didn't fly down to Melbourne to watch Errol play, or maybe she got an early flight back.)
    - lots of Swans supporters were still under their doonas sulking and/or mourning the men's team exit from this year's competition.
    - the earlier kick-off time and/or the Saturday vs Sunday fixturing. Might it have clashed with school sport activities for some non-attendees?
    - you weren't there...

A friend to whom I expressed disappointment at the much reduced crowd also pointed out that last week was a bye week in the men's competition, so some people might have seen the AFLW game as their weekly footy fix.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    - the male players and their entourage possibly still down in Melbourne. (Though I did observe Bronwyn Gulden diligently carrying out her coaching responsibilities during the warm-up and at breaks. Maybe she didn't fly down to Melbourne to watch Errol play, or maybe she got an early flight back.)
    Bronwyn was interviewed by Sam Lane before the game. When they discussed the elimination of the men's team, Bronwyn said that she went to the game. Sam commended her for going to the final and then flying back for the AFLW game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123