Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AFLW R8 2023: Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs, 1.05pm EST Sat 21 Oct Whitten Oval

Didn't quite crack the ton, but gee that was a lot of fun! Love the way we are trying to play their footy - it is fun and exciting to watch, especially when we run in waves and move it quickly!

Loving the growth we are seeing in so many players. Great nucleus for a really good team being built!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Bummed that Kennedy couldn’t nail that late shot. Partly to bring up the ton but also, as my favourite pen, I really want her to kick a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Bummed that Kennedy couldn’t nail that late shot. Partly to bring up the ton but also, as my favourite pen, I really want her to kick a goal.
    Yes, I think that she spent most of the game lined up against either Blackburn or Lamb and did a pretty good job of moderating their influence.

Plenty of good performances. Molloy possibly our best, as some of her better possessions put the game beyond doubt, although Gardiner was popping up everywhere. Hurley was classy on the outside, while Heads and Tarrant were effective in defence when needed. And I think pretty well everyone in the forward line had some good moments.

Senior Player
    Wow!
    Went to the game with my daughter. Swans played brilliantly. Pressure and tackling were great as well as the disposal. Handballing a bit over the top at times but the surge footy they play cuts teams up. Molloy's solo effort where she exploded with 2 or 3 bounces and then set up the goal was phenomenal.

Surprised at the number of Swans fans there. 40% of the crowd I reckon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Watching them play like that makes last week's "effort" all the more frustrating. Without taking anything away from Hawthorn, that performance was all in the head. Maybe they got ahead of themselves after the strong win against Port the week before, and kicking the first two goals in the opening minutes maybe persuaded them that they'd account for Hawthorn easily. From that point on, barely a kick hit a target and the pressure was soggy.

On the other hand, maybe games like that are an important step along the way to becoming a strong, consistent team. But it might turn out to be the difference between making finals or not. (Not that I think making the finals is that relevant to us this season, given we've had a softish draw. And we'll be doing well to win even one of the two remaining games, let alone both. So maybe that Hawks game won't matter in the end.)

Senior Player
    Great to see us progressing so far in our second year, and to beat the Bulldogs is so sweet!

Veterans List
    I am away this weekend so couldn't watch the game. I was out in the garden trimming the Peach tree and Lemon tree and my brother was texting me updates. I was receiving alot of texts!

I can't wait to watch the recording of the match. I think we seem to play better when I don't watch the game live!

I was concerned when Morphett was ruled out, especially after how we played last week.

Apparently there were 7 50 metre penalties! Were we the undisciplined ones?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

Apparently there were 7 50 metre penalties! Were we the undisciplined ones?
    We received more than we gave away. I can recall two we did give away - one after CHamilton encroached on the mark deep in our forward line. And another after a very heavy tackle on Sheppard that left her on the ground groggy and for which the Dogs won a HTB free. I didn't quite see what the 50m was for but I suspect there was some remonstration against the tackler that held up play.

I can't for sure say we didn't give away a third. I do recall us getting a few but I wasn't keeping count. One was against a Dogs player running through the mark. Another was while Molloy was taking a set shot (and missing), which gave her another opportunity from the goal square. I didn't really see what that infringement was.

We lost the overall free kick count comfortably (15-9) but I don't think that reflects a lack of discipline. The Dogs seemed to get a few soft ones, whereas soft ones to us were let go. It wouldn't be a game against the Dogs if it landed any other way. And they won a handful of blatant HTB frees against us, which is something we still give away too often when players think they have more time or less pressure than they do, and don't take the first option. Ham and LHamilton were guilty parties today, Molloy might have given one such away, and there was the one against Sheppard noted above.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Went to the game with my daughter. Swans played brilliantly. Pressure and tackling were great as well as the disposal. Handballing a bit over the top at times but the surge footy they play cuts teams up. Molloy's solo effort where she exploded with 2 or 3 bounces and then set up the goal was phenomenal.

Surprised at the number of Swans fans there. 40% of the crowd I reckon.
    My niece went to the game and she also says that the crowd support for our Bloods was fantastic!

Loving what the team is doing this season.

GO BLOODS!!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    We lost the overall free kick count comfortably (15-9) but I don't think that reflects a lack of discipline. The Dogs seemed to get a few soft ones, whereas soft ones to us were let go. It wouldn't be a game against the Dogs if it landed any other way. And they won a handful of blatant HTB frees against us, which is something we still give away too often when players think they have more time or less pressure than they do, and don't take the first option. Ham and LHamilton were guilty parties today, Molloy might have given one such away, and there was the one against Sheppard noted above.
    We lost the free kick count against the Bulldogs? Surely not!

Pushing for Selection
    Laura Gardiner was just so good around the packs - I love the way she doesn't just take the first option but has the skill to stop/prop and find her way out of congestion. She must surely have exceeded the expectations of the coaching team when she was traded in.

Molloy of course is the real spark they needed, McEvoy is just so solid/reliable. Good recruiting and natural progression has made all the difference.

I can't believe I missed our best result of the season! Does anyone know how long it typically takes for there to be a full replay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast