Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans AFLW in the media.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The most interesting part of it is Davis's comments on Laura Gardiner. Talk about them not knowing what they had!
    Possible forward pocket - ROFL
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 14th November 2023 at 01:52 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Chloe Molloy getting a bit of media attention.

Chloe Molloy treads her own path as Swans move into uncharted AFLW territory | AFLW | The Guardian

- - - Updated - - -

As is Tanya Kennedy.

Under the radar: How Kennedy executed supreme shutdown role - Under the radar: How Greater Western Sydney Giant Tanya Kennedy executed a supreme shutdown role on breakout Gold Coast Sun Claudia Whitford

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    And Tanya Kennedy only got a spot on the list, when a couple of listed players got long term injuries. Now they're probably one of the most effective midfield partnerships in the competition.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I do wonder if Davis is fabricating, or at least stretching, a story here. After all, Gardiner’s midfield prowess was fully on show at VFL level with Geelong. And we handed over the first draft pick plus more to get her (albeit in a draft where picks were of limited value, especially to a NSW team). A lot has been made of the importance of Gowans’s previous relationships with Molloy and McEvoy in persuading them to take a chance on the Swans. I’ll have to go and look for media on Gowans/Gardiner but I suspect there was some previous relationship there too.

So the idea that the list management team traded for Gardiner, at a decent cost, without Gowans having a pretty good idea of her value to the team seems far fetched and flies in the face of the story of cohesion and collaboration across all aspects of team management that we’ve been told (and that results back up as being credible).

So the idea that the list management team traded for Gardiner, at a decent cost, without Gowans having a pretty good idea of her value to the team seems far fetched and flies in the face of the story of cohesion and collaboration across all aspects of team management that we’ve been told (and that results back up as being credible).
    I heard Laura Gardiner on SEN last night say that she was recruited to Sydney as a pressure forward, but saw more of an opportunity at Sydney to move into the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by liz; 15th November 2023 at 04:20 PM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2120 View Post
    I heard Laura Gardiner on SEN last night say that she was recruited to Sydney as a pressure forward, but saw more of an opportunity at Sydney to move into the midfield.

I owe Davis an apology then.

Which show / approximate time was the interview with Gardiner. I'm interested in whatever else she had to say. I had a quick look at the SEN podcast website but a highlighted Gardiner segment didn't jump out at me.

It was on Sportsday Victoria last night. Sorry if link doesn’t work Megaphone

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2120 View Post
    It was on Sportsday Victoria last night. Sorry if link doesn’t work Megaphone

That link worked perfectly. Thanks.

I'm still not convinced by the inner consistency of the yarn woven by Gardiner and Davis in the sense that Gardiner says that her decision to shift to Sydney was borne out of a desire to play in the midfield, something she didn't think she'd get an opportunity to do at Geelong. So while she says she came up as a "small pressure forward", there must have been an indication that that was a short term role and that she would be eventually transitioned into a midfield role. A transition that happened very quickly.

Agreed Liz. I think Nick Davis embellished the yarn. Laura would not come to Sydney to play exactly the same role. She is a Geelong girl who is being put up at someone’s house for the season. Most likely Laura was happy enough to keep the yarn going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Chloe Molloy getting a bit of media attention.
    And more today. Some interesting snippets in there, I wasn't aware that she turned down a US basketball scholarship to join the AFLW when it started up.

‘Vulnerability is a powerful thing’: How Chloe Molloy changed the game at the Swans

Delightful coments from Tanya Kennedy https://twitter.com/SydneySwansAFLW/...36634082377970

Veteran Site Admin
    Thanks for posting that. Your post actually prompted me to see if the video was up on the Swans' website. It is - for anyone who wants to watch without being Musked.

Proposed best 21 https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status...13060369330367 no Lexi or Alana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12