Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The Bob Skilton medal is an interesting argument. Buddy never won one. Neither Heeney. Both rarely made top 3. Would you rather have them or Rowbottom?
    It's a good argument. However they play different positions. I'd rather Rowbottom playing the role he plays more than Buddy or Heeney. Similarly, I'd obviously rather Buddy/Heeney playing over Rowbottom in the forward line. The Skilton Medal is based on coaches votes so it gives a good indication of how a player is judged by those selecting the team. The original post that I quoted suggested that Rowbottom might be under pressure from players like Jordon and Sheldrick. That may eventually be true but as it currently stands, over the last two years Rowbottom was considered by the coaches to have done his job as well or better than almost every other midfielder. If Jordon, Sheldrick, Adams, or any other midfielder ends up in the top 3 in the Skilton then everyone here will be thrilled but unfortunately for RB, he doesn't get the same love because he doesn't have the same sexy tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My son lives in Perth and he says the McDonald back to Perth rumour is strong. Then again they are pretty parochial. My crystal ball says he becomes our our CHB.
    Yeah, I was in Perth in November and both Perth teams are big into McDonald.
    They would both have plenty of cap room too, so we have a fight on our hands.
    Even if we keep him, we may need to pay overs.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yeah, I was in Perth in November and both Perth teams are big into McDonald.
    They would both have plenty of cap room too, so we have a fight on our hands.
    Even if we keep him, we may need to pay overs.
    I would be surprised if we haven't tried to stitch him up already. Our salary cap requirements would be very well known by now so negotiations between the parties would surely have started some time ago. I wonder if him being left out of the 2022 GF team has had implications on him signing already. That was a massive blunder by the Swans.

Goes up to 11
    If McDonald keeps on his upward trajectory, we should only be entertaining the Eagles' draft' pick #1 at the end of this year. Nothing less.

Of course I'd prefer him to stay and hope he signs a long term deal with us - if he wants to leave, we should rightfully expect to receive maximum value in return.

Mmmm. Eagles finish bottom - walk?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the club will have left plenty of cap space to make him a robust offer. Even if he wants to only go through to FA, that's still four years on good coin and to back himself from there.

But you just don't let a bloke who's going to be a 50-goal a year forward walk. He's so integral to what we want to do over the next few years, it's essential. Almost as crucial as T McCartin down back. And I know some will argue we won 2012 without a high end key forward, and the Pies did last year, but the overall history of flag winning sides heavily favours having at least one tier one key forward - which is what Logan is rapidly becoming.

Having said that, my vague understanding is that the club is reasonably comfortable with where they think it's at.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Mmmm. Eagles finish bottom - walk?
    PSD is the threat that Adelaide Cows used on us when we were robbed of Dawson :-(

McDonald is not going anywhere. I heard it from Kinnear with my own ears albeit half way through last year. He apparently loves the group and has always indicated that he wants to stay.

I know, I know.... cue the boring "Dawson said...." quote.

Senior Player
    I don't think Logan will leave, but the challenge for us, is what we need to pay to keep him. NM really hurt us with their massive offer to Heeney and we ended up shelling out really big bucks to keep him. All it takes is for one of the WA clubs to offer say $1.3 million a year over seven years and that will affect how much we can offer Gulden, Florent, Hayward and RB etc.

Senior Player
    I would be surprised if we haven't tried to stitch him up already. Our salary cap requirements would be very well known by now so negotiations between the parties would surely have started some time ago. I wonder if him being left out of the 2022 GF team has had implications on him signing already. That was a massive blunder by the Swans.
    Yep, Nico. I know at the time the potential premiership win would have been all that was on everyone at the Swans mind. But at the time I thought that Logan's team may file away the decision to omit him. Monday morning quarterbacking is so easy .But I am worried about us growing Logan for the W.A sides, and losing him as he hits his prime.

Regarding Logan I live in WA and have heard nothing via the media, not to say both clubs wouldn’t want him. Most of the talk here is about the Eagles chasing English as he’s a free agent and most recent talks is around the wa lad at Richmond as well, the Dockers haven’t been linked to anyone specific just the have 3 first round picks and looking at anyone who’s a local lad.

My mother-in law is a mad Perth fan and she said she has seen Logan training at lathlain park over the preseason and she reckons the Perth lads reckon he will come back to WA for whatever that is worth.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I truly hope we haven't tried to stitch him up! Sew him up for sure though

I would also be very surprised if we haven't focussed heavily on clearly communicating with Logan about his future. I suspect the Swans learned a (very costly) lesson from the Dawson situation and would've taken steps to try and reduce the risk of being blindsided like that again.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast