Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

I guess when the Swans list management looked at their inside midfield stocks after 2023 they couldn’t have foreshadowed the following:

- They had the best midfielder of 2024 playing most of his time as a medium forward.
    - Rowbottom was not predicted to be as good as he’s been playing.
    - Chad was not predicted going to be as effective as he’s been in tandem with Heeney and Rowbottom. The mix of talents greater than the sum of their parts.
    - Cleary, Mitchell and Sheldrick give exciting depth.
    - James Jordan has been a revelation with his role.
    - Parker, Mills and Adams would be out do early in the season allowing a alternative and some would argue more effective midfield to play.

Nobody predicted this scenario at the end of 2023. Mills is fortunate he’s versatile in defence otherwise he’ll be in the reserves with Parker when fit.

Luke PArker
    3 years younger than Joel Selwood when the Cats did a job on us in the GF
    I do believe that PArker was in the top22 pre injury
    I do sense before we know it he will be back in the 22 and then we wont be talking much about in or out for Parks
    He is a gem.
    They only hard to juggle is the inside mid rotation. We have a stack of them all of a sudden !
    I mean who would have thought after watching Heenye last 8-10 years in Snrs and juniors that he would suddenly do a Dustin Martin in the midfield ?
    He is killing it and now Patch is a step down in his role.
    Rowie is keeps rising like an inferno - cant stop him !

But Finals footy is so different than running freely like we did 2022 prior to the GF. .........wow weeeeee.......so different in the clinches and half the space.

Thats where the Parker Truffle comes to life !

Parks will be back soon.

PARK-LIFE !!!

I mean........isnt the SCG centre bounce better with Luke Parker crushing it ?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 16th May 2024 at 07:29 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Trever View Post
    It's four games now. He broke an arm so could still put weight on his legs during his recovery.

The Swans are telling him that we think James Rowbottom is a better footballer and that Sam Wicks is a better forward and that there are no hybrid forward / midfield roles for you.

This is ROK 2014 all over again. What happens when Mills comes back and nobody is injured? That will make its even harder for Parker.

There's speculation that ROK didn't attand the 2012 renunion and that he remains upset about 2014. Parker is a proud man. You dont want him feeling this.

A club like North and Clarko may be able to get him going again.
    The situation between the 2 players is different. ROK was in the side and he was out of form when he was dropped. Parker was injured in the pre season and now the team is playing really well. He is at a point in his career where he isn't an automatic in, especially when there is no obvious spot. Dropping Wicks would affect our forward pressure. Jordon is performing a role every week. Adams is the player similar to Parker, (although Parker is superior to Adams in the forward line).

I would love Parker to be in the side. He bleeds red and white. I'm just not sure if his inclusion would be a detriment to the team.

Veterans List
    Talking Footy were discussing Hayward and what decision he should make. Selwood, Cotchin and Tim Watson said he should stay with the Swans. Watson said "the grass looks greener on the other side". It was mentioned that St Kilda has a war chest. Someone said Hayward would be a good fit for Carlton but that Jack Martin is a similar player.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I mean who would have thought after watching Heenye last 8-10 years in Snrs and juniors that he would suddenly do a Dustin Martin in the midfield ?
    I'm assuming you meant that ironically, because several people on RWO thought and said exactly that.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    parker MUST be in seniors wven if he replaces Wicks. Also beleive that Cunningham needs to be replaced. kicking not as prenertrating. Roberts for him

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    parker MUST be in seniors wven if he replaces Wicks. Also beleive that Cunningham needs to be replaced. kicking not as prenertrating. Roberts for him
    I agree. Cunningham has been a great player for the club but his time is up and he needs to make way for younger talent like Roberts. And for mine, Wicks is an obvious out for Parker.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Yes Jack Martin is a similar player, injury prone and out of contract at the end of the year, and this could be the problem for Hayward if Carlton come with an offer to good to refuse

Warming the Bench
    Great to see Ludwig back. Always enjoy his input. All the best with things too!!!

People who want to move Parker on are being extremely premature. He WILL come into the side, and I hazard a guess that once he comes in, he will stay there until the end of the year. Horse is making Parksy earn it, which is a fantastic message to the rest of group - to make every post a winner. My guess is that Parker will play on for another two years at least - he is very durable. The clear message is, if you don't play well (or find your self out of the side due to injury as is this case) your place will go to someone who is playing, and in form. If it is good enough for you to earn your spot after a stint in the reserves for someone as decorated and revered as Luke, then this sends a message re expectations and non-negotiables. I can guarantee you that our team will inevitably have some injuries, and those coming in will make every post a winner.

This my friends is what is called a winning culture. Everything has to be earned, no quarters given, and I for one am so glad that Horse and the coaching team are taking this approach.

I think Parker deserves to be in the senior side and has earned it with his VFL performances. But no coach likes to toy with a winning chemistry and there is no obvious player to be dropped to let Parker in the side. I'm sure Parker understands this too, and as a captain, would be hesitant to drop any well performing player, even if it means a quicker return to seniors for himself.

I agree that there will come a time in the not too distant future when Parker will get a call up to the seniors. At 31, Parker is not at all over the hill and continues to play close to his best footy. It just becomes hard to predict when-the bottom will fall out for +30 yos. Rampe, who will be 34 in July, is still playing at close to his best level.

On Hayward: I'm a bit surprised by Carlton's keen interest. Elijah and Oliver Hollands are both listed as half forwards for tonight's game. Both are young and have similar attributes to Hayward. I agree that Hayward is seen as a Jack Martin replacement, but there's plenty of talent on the Blues' list. There is just the problem that so many of them are injury prone. If I were Carlton, I'd be saving my money for a defender. It's in defense where they've been most vulnerable due to the injury toll.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If I were Carlton, I'd be saving my money for a defender. It's in defense where they've been most vulnerable due to the injury toll.
    If I were Carlton (and I know it is a different budget), I’d be saving my money for a better medical and conditioning team!

Warming the Bench
    Maltopia as you rightly point out.. Carlton has a different budget.

John Elliot has left his imprint on the place. They also have that questionable man of integrity from PwC (Luke Sayers) who turned a blind eye so that his firm could fleece the tax payer - (CRIMINAL behaviour)
    that I am sure permeates throughout the whole club.

13.5mln salary cap...
    Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Weitering (all 800K plus - 4.0mln),
    Cerra, McGovern, De Koning, Williams (are all at least 700K plus 2.8mln),
    Docherty Saad, Kennedy, Acres, Hewett, Pittonet (600K plus - 3.6mln),
    Marchbank, Martin, Hollands x 2, Motlop, Kemp, Newman (all 450K plus - 3.15mln).. this equates to 13.55mln for 22 players...... which leaves nothing for the remaining 16 players on the list.. I wonder how they do it....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I forgot to add.. they are after Will Hayward... at circa 750K.... I need some of the accounting skills that Carlton employs...