Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Veterans List
    With all the discussion on Richmond's demise I suggest our recruiting team has done very well. Brendan Gale on SEN tried to deflect from the strength of their list, but said you need to keep refreshing the list each year. Getting Toranto and Hopper was lazy recruiting and list development. I think they have not done very well in this regard. Whereas we have a wealth of midfielders and now bemoan some players not getting a run.

For sure we need to recruit defenders as the next stage of list development.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    With all the discussion on Richmond's demise I suggest our recruiting team has done very well. Brendan Gale on SEN tried to deflect from the strength of their list, but said you need to keep refreshing the list each year. Getting Toranto and Hopper was lazy recruiting and list development. I think they have not done very well in this regard. Whereas we have a wealth of midfielders and now bemoan some players not getting a run.

For sure we need to recruit defenders as the next stage of list development.
    Watching the VFL I’m actually pretty confident we already have a couple of likely customers in Snell and Edwards. It would be great to give Snell his debut game this season, if the situation lends itself to that.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Kevin Sheehan the AFL U18 guru did thumbnails in the Murdoch press on all the likely non Vic draftees

Joel Cochran 195cm, 'A super athletic and versatile midfielder or defender'

Joe Harrison 182cm, 'An inside midfielder with great decision making and possesses a good burst of speed. Can push forward and be dangerous'

Sound a couple of likely types.

Hopefully we can use our two end of first round picks before having to match academy bids. Suspect we'll trade in the picks needed in exchange for 2025 picks. I wonder if the AFL will adjust the bid matching rules and points table for this draft or make the changes to start in 2025? Vic clubs will squeal about Ashcroft and Lombard to the two Queensland clubs if they are again matched with junk picks! Not sure if they squealed as loudly about JUH, Daicos and Darcy though??
    Carlton probably won't be squealing too loudly, as they're probably going to get the Camporeale twins from SA. Both seem to be rated around the 15-25 range, so it's likely they'll have to trade away their current pick 12.

And while it's a long way out, I probably wouldn't want to trade away any of our 2025 picks. I definitely think it's stronger than the 2024 cohort, and if everything goes right, our haul could provoke a totally unhinged reaction. Lachie Carmichael, Noah Chamberlain and Max King all seem very promising to me, while Kaiden McNamara impressed when given a bit of midfield time. Plus maybe the odd smokey.

Veterans List
    I gave blood at Moore Park this afternoon. As I walked past Swans HQ Luke Parker walked past me. I said "Good luck tonight Luke" and he replied "Thanks mate." He walked another couple of steps and turned around to add "I really appreciate it."

I meant it - he stuffed up but he's not a dirty player (unlike our neighboring captain). He'll be penalized but I hope he's not made a sacrificial example to the competition.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Carlton probably won't be squealing too loudly, as they're probably going to get the Camporeale twins from SA. Both seem to be rated around the 15-25 range, so it's likely they'll have to trade away their current pick 12.

And while it's a long way out, I probably wouldn't want to trade away any of our 2025 picks. I definitely think it's stronger than the 2024 cohort, and if everything goes right, our haul could provoke a totally unhinged reaction. Lachie Carmichael, Noah Chamberlain and Max King all seem very promising to me, while Kaiden McNamara impressed when given a bit of midfield time. Plus maybe the odd smokey.
    There's already limits on how many first rounders you can match on depending on your ladder position. That's likely to come under scrutiny in the AFL's competitive balance review.

Harley was on ABC radio at the weekend, gee he's impressive, spoke about academy commentary (I thought hysteria/unhinged reaction south of the border) said we'd had about 5000 juniors through the program so far for the nett result of six regular AFL players in 12 years. reiterated it's growing the game in NSW and Qld,

2024 List Management

Harley was on ABC radio at the weekend, gee he's impressive, spoke about academy commentary ……….. said we'd had about 5000 juniors through the program so far for the nett result of six regular AFL players in 12 years. reiterated it's growing the game in NSW and Qld,
    I’ve long thought that the Swans have not put enough emphasis on the role of the Academy in growing the game in NSW. (Unless they know it has been a flop in this objective ….?)

Do they have a database of the 5,000 juniors that have passed through the program? If so, how about doing a survey of what has happened to these young players - have they continued to play at a local level? Have they influenced others to play? Any impacts on their families’ interest in AFL and on their friends? etc, etc.

Could be a thesis for someone doing a sports degree somewhere …

Back in the days when I used to regularly read The Roar, and there were the usual tedious rants about the Swans unfair advantage from the Academy, I recall one poster making a passionate comment in response saying how important the Academy coaching and assistance was for junior clubs. He said he - who grew up in NSW and never himself played or watched Aussies Rules as a junior - was doing his best as coach for his young son’s team. And the difference it made when the Academy started doing some local sessions was enormous.

We need more of these sort of local / regional stories, not just the Heeney / Mills etc examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I gave blood at Moore Park this afternoon. As I walked past Swans HQ Luke Parker walked past me. I said "Good luck tonight Luke" and he replied "Thanks mate." He walked another couple of steps and turned around to add "I really appreciate it."

I meant it - he stuffed up but he's not a dirty player (unlike our neighboring captain). He'll be penalized but I hope he's not made a sacrificial example to the competition.
    I agree he's definitely not a dirty player and Longmire also agrees. He didn't jump up and his shoulder didn't make contact with the player's head. But if you choose to bump and there is a clash of heads, you have to deal with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I’ve long thought that the Swans have not put enough emphasis on the role of the Academy in growing the game in NSW. (Unless they know it has been a flop in this objective ….?)

Do they have a database of the 5,000 juniors that have passed through the program? If so, how about doing a survey of what has happened to these young players - have they continued to play at a local level? Have they influenced others to play? Any impacts on their families’ interest in AFL and on their friends? etc, etc.

Could be a thesis for someone doing a sports degree somewhere …

Back in the days when I used to regularly read The Roar, and there were the usual tedious rants about the Swans unfair advantage from the Academy, I recall one poster making a passionate comment in response saying how important the Academy coaching and assistance was for junior clubs. He said he - who grew up in NSW and never himself played or watched Aussies Rules as a junior - was doing his best as coach for his young son’s team. And the difference it made when the Academy started doing some local sessions was enormous.

We need more of these sort of local / regional stories, not just the Heeney / Mills etc examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A few weeks ago, I scanned through the teams in the SFL Premier Division. At a rough guess, I reckoned that about 15-20% had played for the academy sides. Some like UNSW-ES seemed to have about 50%, while others just had one or two players.

The muppets on The Midweek Tackle (FoxFooty) are already suggesting Parker might have played his last game for us after learning of his 6 week suspension. Out till R17.

Citing Parker may not be considered in our best 22. Has another year on his contract @ $700k. May sit down with Longmire at end of season & may requested trade if he'll find himself in the VFL again in 2025. They reckon he'll attract plenty of finals aspirants missing only 2 games in last 8 years previous.

Can't believe how quickly they jump to conclusions. Parker is a legend & champion of our club, who still has plenty to offer for US! He will get back into the team.

There's already limits on how many first rounders you can match on depending on your ladder position. That's likely to come under scrutiny in the AFL's competitive balance review.

Harley was on ABC radio at the weekend, gee he's impressive, spoke about academy commentary (I thought hysteria/unhinged reaction south of the border) said we'd had about 5000 juniors through the program so far for the nett result of six regular AFL players in 12 years. reiterated it's growing the game in NSW and Qld,
    Yes, I found the "four first rounders" outrage about the Suns recent draft haul mildly amusing. The only other academy first rounder that they've had was Jack Bowes. Who of course, is now at Geelong. Apparently because the premiers had a heap of cap space, while the team that finished 14th? didn't.

And I tend to remember, then forget, the rules around ladder position and academy picks. It'd be a shame if we develop a few guns for 2025, only for one or two of them to be taken by Victorian clubs. Though I suppose there would be a chance of them returning to the fold, due to the "go home factor".

Which would be sorta nice, as I think the last one of those we had was Nick Davis. Has there been one since then? I've got a feeling that there should be, but I can't recall anyone offhand?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Though I suppose there would be a chance of them returning to the fold, due to the "go home factor".

Which would be sorta nice, as I think the last one of those we had was Nick Davis. Has there been one since then? I've got a feeling that there should be, but I can't recall anyone offhand?
    Kurt Tippett.

(And maybe Tony Armstrong.)

BTW, the rules around matching bids as they currently stand (ie before the AFL changes the rules) is that if you finish in the top four you can only match one first round bid for an academy player. If you finish fifth to eighth you can match two. If you finish out of the top eight there is no restriction.

And of course these limits don't apply to father-son candidates. So Carlton could finish top four this year (yeah, emphasis on 'could') and still be allowed to match first round picks on both Camporeale twins (if they go that high).

Edit: The restrictions may actually apply to top 20 bids, rather than the more elastic "first round". I can't remember precisely and I can't be bothered to go and look it up right now.

Parker is suspended and not injured. So, for the next 6 weeks he can retain his fitness and be ready to play for 6 weeks (post R17); and finals.

I doubt he will be sulking for that time.