Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season match: Swans Vs Brisbane 29 Feb 2024 (Blacktown)

It was basically a Wet weather game, those 3 did ok against GWS

Warner breaking lines helps a fwd setup too.

Love Reid but hard to imagine him walking in at a high level with the amount of time he has had off.

Personally would love to see him down back where he is most needed.

i felt overall ...............we constricted the Lions impact and I suppose if you have 6 key players and serious players from you best 22/23 out ................ and you are playing the GF team that lost by less than a goal..........then that is a big emphasis on the game plan in this trial. CONSTRICT - STRANGLE - CONSTRICT BLOODS LIKE !!!!

Keeps you in the game.

Conversely if you have 6 strike experienced players back in the game...............and we peformed the way we did ie fairly impotently ...............well this forum would have gone into melt down !

You want to be in the game round 1 and prep towards that........ we sort of did that with what players we had available.

Did someone say we were up 13 contested possessions at halftime ? wow wee !!!

That is a significant top 2 stat that the coaches would have looked for in this trial undermanned and our Achilles heal in 2023
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 1st March 2024 at 05:04 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Grundy is a bit underwhelming so far. He's no Hickey. (2022 Hickey).

And amartey hasn't improved. Just seems to lack concentration.

I think our forward line will be ladhams, McDonald and McLean. But can it kick enough goals?

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Wa,
    I agree with you on Ladhams. That was a real positive to come out of the game. He was so much more effective combining with Grundy in the ruck than McLean was. He looks to me that he has trimmed down and is looking much fitter than in the past. He was particularly good when the ball was on the ground.
    I also thought Armartey was better than some give him credit for in conditions that did not favour big men. He contested well and did take 4 marks.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    AG
    I think you can add Lloyd to that list, particularly in those conditions

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I wonder whether Hayward was concussion or precaution. He didn't come back after early hit.
    I haven't been able to find any information on Hayward. I'm hoping it was precautionary. I was concerned about the potential for concussion seeing as we don't have a week off before our first game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I think the criticism of Ladhams is ridiculous, got his hands onit multiple times at ground level but conditions didnt suit. Grundy was every bit as fumbly. I think we need to be happy we have 2 rucks that are a threat outside of the centre circle.
    I agree about Ladhams. I actually thought he was unselfish and he kept trying to handball instead of kicking. I don't think I will get used to his hair though!

Did anyone listen to Guldens end of game comments re JJ

Glowing !

Fantastic recruitment / no points / re link in the chain player that gut runs all game.................
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Did anyone listen to Guldens end of game comments re JJ

Glowing !

Fantastic recruitment / no points / re link in the chain player that gut runs all game.................
    Cracking recruitment. He's an 8+ year midfield mainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    It was basically a Wet weather game, those 3 did ok against GWS

Warner breaking lines helps a fwd setup too.

Love Reid but hard to imagine him walking in at a high level with the amount of time he has had off.

Personally would love to see him down back where he is most needed.
    I hope you’re right, I Just find it hard to see those 3 beating the top defences in the comp. Reid has occasionally played as a spare down back, but I suspect it’s very different to a film time role. I do agree the weather was probably a big factor - let’s hope Hayward and Adam’s a right to go Thursday

Is very promising and definitely the first time he would of played 80 plus minutes and got over 30 touches - we have been lacking midfielders who get big numbers, let’s hope he really takes this opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Sam Reid is ahead of both.
    Agree neither ladhams nor armarty have the aerial competence to match Reid.
    Moreover as a relieving ruck Reid is clearly superior as he demonstrated admirably in 2022.
    Finally, a) he’s a better tackler than both. And b) he gives away fewer free kicks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast