Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 0 - Pre Match Thread - vs Melbourne at SCG, Thursday 7 March 2024 at 1:30 PM

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

What is the situation with Sam Reid? Did he get to play any minutes in the VFL practice matches? I'm not aware if he has any injury issues.
    Yes he played in the VFL according to the article on the Swans app. There is also a video about him but I haven't watched it yet.

Thanks Mel. I watched the video & pleasing to hear Reid played full game in the last VFL practice match.

Club has been building him up slowly after missing 12 months of footy, considering his injury prone history.

Went through uncertainty whether he would be offered a contract for this year & is confident he can make an impact again.

Is realistic that he has a fight on his hands to force his way back in but is willing to bide his time. Wish him luck!

Regular in the Side
    Re the Title of this Thread: Don't like it but please note that officially, it is the " Opening round ". Our first-round match will be against the Pies on 15 March.My Guess of the line-up:B: Florent, Melican, Rampe.HB: Llyod, McCartin, Blakey.C: Gulden, Heenly, Jordon.HF: Papley, McDonald, Hayward.FF: Ladhams, McLean, Wicks.F: Grundy, Warner, Rowbottom.I: Cunningham, Sheldrick, Campbell, McInerney, Sub: FoxEMG: Roberts, Amartey, Corey,

Senior Player
    Parker, Adams and Mills are big outs. Let's hope we can manufacture a few wins early in the season so we stay in touch and not have to play catch up like we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Parker, Adams and Mills are big outs. Let's hope we can manufacture a few wins early in the season so we stay in touch and not have to play catch up like we did last year.
    Whilst these aren't great injuries as it's our 3 most experienced midfielders, the Dees have some pretty significant outs too - this is taken from the AFL website:

UNAVAILABLE: Kysaiah Pickett (suspended), Ben Brown (knee) Charlie Spargo (Achilles), Jake Melksham (knee), Shane McAdam (calf), Lachie Hunter (calf), Daniel Turner (leg), Joel Smith (suspended)

There's also questions regarding Oliver's availability as well.

Parker and Adams are at the twilight of there careers and last year some people here were wondering if Parker still had a spot in the team (not necessarily my view). I'm excited to see Sheldrick and Heeney in the midfield, and interested to see how Jordon performs. I'm not too worried

Veteran Site Admin
    The AFL website has an article stating that Oliver will play. Hopefully he'll be short of his absolute best.

Melbourne Demons superstar Clayton Oliver to play in Opening Round clash against Sydney Swans

I did feel Sheldrick was miles off a Luke Parker performance in the GWS trial game.

So not clean below his knees. Jumping in and not keeping his feet. Not moving in on an arc to the ball to increase 360 degree exit awareness. Im sure he will tidy up next game though as it was slippery but others were clean with the ball.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I did feel Sheldrick was miles off a Luke Parker performance in the GWS trial game.

So not clean below his knees. Jumping in and not keeping his feet. Not moving in on an arc to the ball to increase 360 degree exit awareness. Im sure he will tidy up next game though as it was slippery but others were clean with the ball.
    I suspect that reflects a) his inexperience; and b) his team insecurity.

He approached the game like a bull in a china shop, trying to show his attack on the ball. In those conditions he just needed to slow everything down so he could focus on being cleaner.

I hope someone from the coaching team has sat down with him in the last few days and shown him his tape vs Lachie Neale's. He should be able to learn a lot from how Neale approached each contest.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Pickett is the only one of any significance. Ben Brown wouldn’t get a game in the Swans reserves.
    Mills Parker and Adams are a significant loss. Hopefully Jordan and Shelderick can step up, and based on their practice match form here’s hoping.
    Oliver will be playing which makes matters worse.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    First match of the season! Exciting, but we are also up against a likely top four side with Mills, Parker and possibly Adams out.

On paper, lots of potent players on every line for the Demons.

May, Lever. Salem, Langdon, Petracca, Gawn, Kickett, Fritsch, Oliver and Melksham/Spargo could easily be in our best 22 (for Melican, Fox, Cunningham, McInerney, Rowbottom, Grundy, Wicks, Hayward, Jordon and Almartey). How they could afford them all, along with Brayshaw in their salary cap?

We also get another look at JVR who could have taken. I am sure some of us will be comparing his career with Sheldrick's for a long time to come!

Anyway, if we use our Elimination Finals team from last year as the basis for the squad, then:

Out: Mills (inj), Parker (inj), Hickey (ret)
    Ins: Adams (if recovered), Jordon, Grundy

Sub: Fox (again)

Hopefully Adams is ok to play. If he isn't, then Sheldrick to come in.

Possibly Ladhams in for Almartey, and/or Roberts in for Fox as well.

Looking forward to it, and hoping we can start off the season well.
    You could make an argument that they've got 5 of the best 20 players in the competition in that list - May/Gawn/Petracca certainly, Oliver and Lever possibly (and when they had Grundy arguably 6!). That's some serious over-indexing in talent, with plenty of great support from the likes of Viney, Fritsch etc. For mine, they and the Lions have comfortably the best squads in the comp.

But as the last few years have shown, talent is never enough (though it's pretty good start...).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Whilst these aren't great injuries as it's our 3 most experienced midfielders, the Dees have some pretty significant outs too - this is taken from the AFL website:

UNAVAILABLE: Kysaiah Pickett (suspended), Ben Brown (knee) Charlie Spargo (Achilles), Jake Melksham (knee), Shane McAdam (calf), Lachie Hunter (calf), Daniel Turner (leg), Joel Smith (suspended)

There's also questions regarding Oliver's availability as well.

Parker and Adams are at the twilight of there careers and last year some people here were wondering if Parker still had a spot in the team (not necessarily my view). I'm excited to see Sheldrick and Heeney in the midfield, and interested to see how Jordon performs. I'm not too worried
    Like your optimism. Happy for you to be right. The three hard nuts would have been handy but it does give other younger players a chance. Reckon Roberts plays some role.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Pickett is the only one of any significance. Ben Brown wouldn’t get a game in the Swans reserves.
    Mills Parker and Adams are a significant loss. Hopefully Jordan and Shelderick can step up, and based on their practice match form here’s hoping.
    Oliver will be playing which makes matters worse.
    Whilst i agree with this, i would add they lost Brayshaw as well didnt they? Hes a big loss
    season 2012- top 4 here we come

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast