Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 0 - Pre Match Thread - vs Melbourne at SCG, Thursday 7 March 2024 at 1:30 PM

On the veteran's list
    Even though they play different positions, I can't believe Sheldrick is not playing ahead of Wicks. But then again there's probably another ten players asking a similar question.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

The team positions are a furfee as there is no way Amartey is playing half forward, and Ollie at CHB. The side will of course be different when the game starts. I'm not sure where Amartey will be at the start but could be on the bench. I feel for Sheldrick but he has so much upside and is still young, so he will be in sooner than later. VFL side doesn't play until late March so many will not have the opportunity to impress or put pressure on those in the top 23

If Sheldrick isnt playing when Mills, Adams and Parker are out, god help him being the Sydney player with the most upside when the others come back in

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    After last weeks game, I thinks he needs a while in the 2s just to grow his game hes not ready.
    The only 2 games he played more than 70% last year he was over 20 Possessions. He is ready

Veterans List
    Gus dead unlucky I'd say. That mean our midfielders are: Chad, Errol, JMc, Heeney, JR and JJ, with Paps and Campbell providing cover? Doesn't feel like a lot?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    The only 2 games he played more than 70% last year he was over 20 Possessions. He is ready
    We don't know he's ready right now. Longmire mentioned in a recent interview that Sheldrick had a bit of a groin issue around Christmas that slowed him down for a while. He simply might not have done quite enough work yet to warrant a spot in the senior team. That doesn't mean that the coaches don't think he's ready ability-wise, especially while we are thin in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We don't know he's ready right now. Longmire mentioned in a recent interview that Sheldrick had a bit of a groin issue around Christmas that slowed him down for a while. He simply might not have done quite enough work yet to warrant a spot in the senior team. That doesn't mean that the coaches don't think he's ready ability-wise, especially while we are thin in that area.
    I think you can see he played last quarter off our first preseason game and then played the VFL match and last match he didn’t play a lot on the middle, that indicates to me he’s not ready (doesn’t mean not good enough)

If Sheldrick isnt playing when Mills, Adams and Parker are out, god help him being the Sydney player with the most upside when the others come back in
    Spot on, couldn’t agree more. Really disappointed he is out.

Veterans List
    The coaches obviously have longer memories than some on here.....before his injury last year, Roberts was looking quite at home in the team but that's a long time ago. Sheldrick was good late in the season but Roberts probably looked better pre-injury. I'm not surprised he's in and Sheldrick's not but maybe it may have been different had Gus not had the aforementioned niggle.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The coaches obviously have longer memories than some on here.....before his injury last year, Roberts was looking quite at home in the team but that's a long time ago. Sheldrick was good late in the season but Roberts probably looked better pre-injury. I'm not surprised he's in and Sheldrick's not but maybe it may have been different had Gus not had the aforementioned niggle.
    Reckon both deserve to be in.

Roberts appeared to get a really strong pre season happening. So much lighter physically but also the way he is moving across the ground.Something did click in the Brisbane game for him. He started making faster confident decisions. It was encouraging vs past Snr footy looking a little shaky.

Sheldrick from a few reports missed some of the pre season and just didn’t look comfortable in the contested work against Brisbane.

Heeney has had a very strong pre season and looked like he play a 50:50 role mids / forward.

Also JJ can play inside when needed and has more experience than the other for an inside mid role.

I quite liked the way McInerney aimed up last qtr when thrown into the inside mids.

I think it makes sense we dont throw sheldrick in against the Melb mid pack.

He will get his turn and just like Robbo maybe sitting out soon when others return.

The competition for spots is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Reckon both deserve to be in.
    Agree, Campbell is the only lock on that bench for me

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast