Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Opening Round 2024

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Amartey off....sub Wicks on. Apparently Joel got a hip knock.
    Amartey needs to be banished to the 2's and only considered for selection again if he has back to back 10 goal hauls in the 2's.

Out: Amartey
    In: Ladhams.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Nice to see you leave your former srtrongly held opinion, I hope your new position will allow for a little felxability.
    I'd like to see Heeney usage made conditional and variable. A mixture of forward and midfield - not just from game to game, but moment to moment.
    I don't equate biting my tongue or not expressing my opinion with 'a little flexability' but I get your point....and I agree with you on Heeney's future usage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Great game - any word on whether AFL.com.au will have the replays of games available?
    ....or at least those "Mini Matches" with extended highlights?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I reckon Grundy went alright for his first game.
    Outrageous Baz!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    just a little note to those who constantly knock Lewis Melican. He was very good last night. He has always been good barring injury. He is a player who gives 100% every time. His efforts paid off last night & he was again that player who was previously a very consistent player. If it weren't for injury I don't think the conversation about him would ever have come up. He had been a consistent performer. But injury killed his form & his confidence.
    Agree with this 100%. In his early days, he seemed like the future of our defense. Injuries, while unfortunate and deflating, should never have us doubting any players ability....and he has plenty.

Veterans List
    A lot of the pundits tip Errol as a chance for the Brownlow this year and why wouldn't they after his stellar 2023? But last night tells me a fully fit Heeney for a full season could waltz away with Charlie this year.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stevoswan; 8th March 2024 at 03:56 PM.

Seriously hoping Grundy can keep that type of effort up all year. This was pre - million dollar a year contract Grundy , hungry, relentless. Maybe getting discarded twice in two years has reignited that flame for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    A little aside....and hopefully this doesn't appear mean but much like Novak Djokovich, I have always found Simon Goodwin hard to warm to....and Glenn Bartlett's demise at Melbourne has always smacked of protecting the coach and hiding real issues at that club.

When I recently heard that our recruit James Jordan spent the entire game as sub during Melbourne's GF win and didn't even get a run on the day, to just be a part of it, despite the Dees being miles in front (and after Jordon being an unused sub so many times during the season proper) has confirmed to me my general dislike of Mr Goodwin.

Talk about being mean or just plain stupid and not 'reading the room'! It really makes me wonder about him.

Our wonderful Horse would never be this clueless.

Veteran Site Admin
    A lot of the pundits tip Errol as a chance for the Brownlow this year and why wouldn't they after his stellar 2023? But last night tells me a fully fit Heeney for a full season could waltz away with Charlie this year.

Thoughts?
    I'd prefer none of our players "waltz away with the Charlie this year". I'd much rather have a handful polling late teens/early twenties totals of votes, and plenty of others picking up some crumbs.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd prefer none of our players "waltz away with the Charlie this year". I'd much rather have a handful polling late teens/early twenties totals of votes, and plenty of others picking up some crumbs.
    Absolutely....but just sayin', Heens could be in for a big one. We should all be happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Totally agree Liz. In past years, especially South Melbourne times, we had individual brilliant players but teams that were barely average, and so we got nowhere. Now we have a talented team including a few brilliant players but it’s the strength of a whole team that leads to success. Isaac is a fabulous player and probably our best but our success will be based on our squad of our top 25-28, allowing for the inevitable injuries. Last night we had the whole team on song, with maybe 1 or 2 below par, and we finished off a top 4 team in the last quarter. Isaac was BOG but the whole team was great! Very proud of the boys- including my pet whipping boy- Sam Wicks!😊

Agree with this 100%. In his early days, he seemed like the future of our defense. Injuries, while unfortunate and deflating, should never have us doubting any players ability....and he has plenty.
    Him playing gives us so much more run.

Speaking of confidence, Campbell needs to be shooting for goal on the run anywhere inside 70. An absolute weapon he needs to unleash.

Senior Player
    Yes, frees have kicked on for the Dees, was 7 -7 at one point....now 13 - 7. Pathetic.
    Couldn't watch the game but watched the full replay. In the second quarter, we got hosed by the umps. Soft frees to Melbourne, nothing for us. Still angered me despite knowing the result!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Him playing gives us so much more run.

Speaking of confidence, Campbell needs to be shooting for goal on the run anywhere inside 70. An absolute weapon he needs to unleash.
    Should be instructed to never handball. Still thought he played well.