Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Opening Round 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes I remember Hodge "accidentally" either bumping or pushing an opponent into the point post.
    Yes, he was one those highly skilled athletes, with superb hand eye coordination, who had quite a few accidents, which strangely, usually damaged his opponents, not him.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    And Roberts gets the Rising Star nom. Good on him.

He's an interesting one. It's worth remembering some draft boards had him no1 coming into the start of his draft year. So there's some talent to work with.

Roberts earns Opening Round Rising Star nomination
    Yes, good on him.
    And what's also interesting, is that last season, I had him down as a tough, skilful inside mid, who wasn't all that athletic. Now he's noticeably fitter and they've got him running around the backline, as the possible next Jake Lloyd. Which might be a bit of a worry for Jake Lloyd?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, good on him.
    And what's also interesting, is that last season, I had him down as a tough, skilful inside mid, who wasn't all that athletic. Now he's noticeably fitter and they've got him running around the backline, as the possible next Jake Lloyd. Which might be a bit of a worry for Jake Lloyd?
    He’s a better kick than Lloyd.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, good on him.
    Jake looked a bit hobbled, particularly in the second half. I wonder whether he'll make it through to the bye without a break.

I thought Roberts played with poise. Impressively calm for a young bloke playing important role.

Listening to the (Melb) media take of Opening Round, most were generally favourable of the concept but with some caveats attached.

They either expressed same concept could still be achieved with a full round of games or at least have a block bluster game in Melbourne on the Sunday.

Laura Kane seemed open to the latter suggestion when quizzed by OTC last night,
    as part of the AFL review. Thought she would put her foot down rather than trying to appease Melb restlessness.

Glad to hear Gerard Healy (SEN) bat away the criticism that the Northern Teams will have advantage of early season byes, when he compared it to Melb teams having played 16 MCG games come Finals. He pointed out which clearly is the better advantage.

My only gripe is the season starting too early, shortening preseason prep & dragging out season longer for the bottom teams. Possible to have this Round Zero concept begin in late March?

Edit: Apologies as i think my above post would've been better posted in the other Opening Round thread (Other Games - General Footy Chat).

Agree with all of the commentary here regarding our best performers: Grundy, Heeney, Blakey all exceptional. Just wanted to call out Tom McCartin who I thought played an excellent game (as he usually does). Key defenders often get overlooked due to their lack of impact on the stats sheet and the fact that generally when they aren't noticed, they are doing a good job. Clearly in my mind our most important player, kept Van Rooyen very quiet and would not have conceded a goal but for that extremely fortuitous one towards the end.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819