Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opening round: the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    This was always going to happen - GWS and Gold Coast with utter domination over the rest of the competition - after those preposterous start up concessions given to the two clubs. Utter betrayal of supporters in the sport's heartland.

And don't get me started on the academy concessions granted on top. Discount access to the likes of Harvey Thomas and Bodhi Uwland was the final kick in the teeth to real football fans everywhere.
    I know, after the first week of the competition, only one out of the ten Victorian teams has won a game, thanks to the woke AFL!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    This was always going to happen - GWS and Gold Coast with utter domination over the rest of the competition - after those preposterous start up concessions given to the two clubs. Utter betrayal of supporters in the sport's heartland.

And don't get me started on the academy concessions granted on top. Discount access to the likes of Harvey Thomas and Bodhi Uwland was the final kick in the teeth to real football fans everywhere.
    Hahahaha 😀

You can feel the seething frothing up over the border. I get if you’re a Collingwood fan it would have been frustrating, but I don’t see how you could watch that and see a bunch of happy young folks in the crowd decked out in Giants gear and not have the slightest thought of “good for them”. I appreciate some Swans fans may find that a stretch, but that’s a little different. 😉
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Liz,

It was brilliant. We need more of this
    As long as there's a clear indication that such posts are intended as satire or sarcastic.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Preposterous start up concessions? It’s 2024. Suns entered AFL in 2011, GWS in 2012. Both teams were regularly thumped for several / years after. How could they have possibly survived without the concessions? They were just kids. And have continually lost their best players as they got picked off by other (mainly Victorian) clubs.
    Player retention has always been an issue for clubs not in "traditional" football states. The Sydney Swans had the same issue, losing over 40 players to the "go home" factor in the first 15 years after relocation. It wasn't until Barassi helped to build a strong club culture has this issue been addressed.

GWS is close to that point now. Being competitive helps a lot. Gold Coast are not there yet, but I expect that Hardwick will turn things around in the next few years.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

GWS v Collingwood was a fascinating game. Both have now mastered the Richmond style of continuous tap on to advantage that at stages of the game the ball was like a ping pong bouncing around in a netball court sized pack of midfielders.

If you believe the Richmond style is the current best practice game plan, which I do, then it's hard to see any other sides challenging these two, other than maybe the GC suns but they are a year or two off adopting it fully.

Brisbane don't play this style. We don't play this style. Carlton might be close.

The satirical take was OK (although a bit out of character for Liz)
    So for those unsure (if it was satire)
    Megs statement was worthy .

Ive never understood the antipathy for GWS on here.
    We need two teams in Sydney, maybe more .
    It was an important win by GWS v The Premiers.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I know, after the first week of the competition, only one out of the ten Victorian teams has won a game, thanks to the woke AFL!
    I woke this morning to find out that the AFL is woke!!!!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS v Collingwood was a fascinating game. Both have now mastered the Richmond style of continuous tap on to advantage that at stages of the game the ball was like a ping pong bouncing around in a netball court sized pack of midfielders.

If you believe the Richmond style is the current best practice game plan, which I do, then it's hard to see any other sides challenging these two, other than maybe the GC suns but they are a year or two off adopting it fully.

Brisbane don't play this style. We don't play this style. Carlton might be close.
    So could these sides now be termed as the "Woke" sides of the AFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I woke this morning to find out that the AFL is woke!!!!!
    While you're there, have you seen Ludwig lately? I can't recall him posting for a while.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    While you're there, have you seen Ludwig lately? I can't recall him posting for a while.
    He is holidaying in Vietnam to get away from the pollution in Chiang Mai. I will join him there in a few weeks. I suspect he will be back online shortly.

He is holidaying in Vietnam to get away from the pollution in Chiang Mai. I will join him there in a few weeks. I suspect he will be back online shortly.
    That's good. I was starting to worry that his eyes were becoming too bad for him to post.

Senior Player
    Yes, good to hear. I was also a little worried about him, but also figured you'd update us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast