Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opening round: the other games.

Opening round: the other games.

Just thought I'd quickly start this thread, even though I'm not planning to write extended introductions, like in the past few seasons. If anyone is interested in regularly starting an 'other games' thread, please feel free to do so.

Having said that, I do quite like the opening round concept, with the spotlight in NSW and Queensland. Especially since the quality of the Northern sides, means that all games should be a decent spectacle. Assuming that the AFL matches them up with opposition of a similar standard. Which they seem to have done so. Even so, there's still a quite good chance that all the Victorian sides will lose. Which hopefully won't have the AFL rethinking the concept.

I think they should have at least included a non Vic side in this round.
    We could have played Adelaide to decide once and for all who really finished 8th last year.

Veterans List
    Brisbane making Carlton look like.....well, Carlton.

32 pts up late in the first. Carlton just got their second goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Just thought I'd quickly start this thread, even though I'm not planning to write extended introductions, like in the past few seasons. If anyone is interested in regularly starting an 'other games' thread, please feel free to do so.

Having said that, I do quite like the opening round concept, with the spotlight in NSW and Queensland. Especially since the quality of the Northern sides, means that all games should be a decent spectacle. Assuming that the AFL matches them up with opposition of a similar standard. Which they seem to have done so. Even so, there's still a quite good chance that all the Victorian sides will lose. Which hopefully won't have the AFL rethinking the concept.
    Well, the heartland fans who have already had a good sook over the Round Zero concept will certainly soil their pants!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Brisbane making Carlton look like.....well, Carlton.

32 pts up late in the first. Carlton just got their second goal.

- - - Updated - - -
    !
    That didn’t age well ……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The "opening round" concept is generally sound, but it causes some problems when people are calling it "round 0" and other similar names. I'm used to rounds being numbered and giving it a name instead seems wrong to me.

Scattering byes for the eight clubs in the first few weeks is iffy because it means there's several rounds this year when clubs haven't played the same number of games when this isn't really necessary. When the byes have no points, it messes up the ladder a bit.

I think the concept needs to be reworked. Some ideas, some of these ideas are contradictory.
    1. Make the "opening round" a split round 1.
    2. Call the opening round "round 1".
    3. Collingwood and Essendon should both play, in years when Anzac Day falls in the middle of the week. Their Anzac Day match can be followed by a bye.
    4. When Tasmania joins the competition, there will be 19 teams with byes. The first round should include several byes, similar to the 1991 and 1992 seasons (eight clubs played in round 1 and seven had byes). When this happens, each club will get two byes a season. These byes should have two premiership points, so the ladder works better.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’ll genuinely miss the extended introductions. Their arrival always signalled the start of the weekend for me. The relentless skewering of the Dogs was a stand out.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’ll genuinely miss the extended introductions. Their arrival always signalled the start of the weekend for me. The relentless skewering of the Dogs was a stand out.
    I, too, greatly enjoyed the "Other Games" threads and your extended introductions, deja. Please re-consider.

Veterans List
    Some hysterical squealing from the Vics on BF about how Opening Round is ruining the game, another stupid decision by the AFL!

Thanks for the kind words above and I have enjoyed your contributions to the thread over the years.

In regards to the football, I am enjoying the thrashing that the Suns are giving to the Tigers. Let's hope that they don't let them back into the game, like the Lions did last night

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words above and I have enjoyed your contributions to the thread over the years.

In regards to the football, I am enjoying the thrashing that the Suns are giving to the Tigers. Let's hope that they don't let them back into the game, like the Lions did last night
    So far, Richmond have kicked 6 goals to none in the third quarter. They were 61pts down at half time, now behind by 25.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    That didn’t age well ……
    Exactly what I thought.

Now the same could be happening on the Gold Coast.....Suns get out to a handsome 67 pt lead, Richmond now back to 25 pts down late in the third after six goals in a row! Bloody hell!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Suns won by 39 points. They may end the Opening Round on top of the ladder.

Gold Coast has never finished on top of the ladder after any round. Their best effort was second, after round 4,2020 and round 3, 2016.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast