Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 VFL thread

Senior Player
    Yes ilm-uniforned2 I think Mitchell looks impressive - very good kick. Hamling was good too. Ladhams was so close to great not quite there but we have some good tall depth now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Mitchell is a bit of an old school winger, a bit like Blake Acres with a more penetrating kick. It has some real punch. His rate of improvement has been excellent. He might need to bide his time a bit given our depth but he can’t be doing much more to give himself a chance.

Two others I liked today given our need for depth down back were Edwards, who had a couple of hot head moments but barely lost a contest and seems to have improved his kicking, and Snell, who just looked very composed.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Mitchell is a bit of an old school winger, a bit like Blake Acres with a more penetrating kick. It has some real punch. His rate of improvement has been excellent. He might need to bide his time a bit given our depth but he can’t be doing much more to give himself a chance.

Two others I liked today given our need for depth down back were Edwards, who had a couple of hot head moments but barely lost a contest and seems to have improved his kicking, and Snell, who just looked very composed.
    Cheers for the report.

Veterans List
    This set of videos/photos finishes with the team song: https://www.instagram.com/stories/sw...Uyd3pyaWNxeHh6.

Nice to get a win, but since Coburg didn't win a game last season, I probably wouldn't get that enthused. Some good efforts, but a bit sloppy at times.

I thought BOG was a toss up between Mitchell and Ladhams. Mitchell spent a lot more time inside, rather than his outside role of last season. He was willing around the contests, covered a lot of ground and was the leading possession getter. While Ladhams spent plenty of time forward and attacking ball with gusto when it came his way. He kicked four goals and seems to have a bit more pace and agility than previously.

The new AFL listed players all looked promising. Green rucked quite well, took a couple of strong grabs and seems quite athletic. Cleary had a big first quarter, gathering plenty of contested possessions, but perhaps didn't really go on with it. While Snell looks a very nimble 194cm back man.

Probably all the defence played well: Francis, Hamling, Magor and Edwards. Perhaps the highlight was Edwards taking a kick out from the goalsquare and almost hitting the centre circle on the full.

While in the forward line, Konstanty did some useful things and Reid looked pretty sharp in his first game since 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Cheers for the report.
    Ditto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Nice to get a win, but since Coburg didn't win a game last season, I probably wouldn't get that enthused. Some good efforts, but a bit sloppy at times.

I thought BOG was a toss up between Mitchell and Ladhams. Mitchell spent a lot more time inside, rather than his outside role of last season. He was willing around the contests, covered a lot of ground and was the leading possession getter. While Ladhams spent plenty of time forward and attacking ball with gusto when it came his way. He kicked four goals and seems to have a bit more pace and agility than previously.

The new AFL listed players all looked promising. Green rucked quite well, took a couple of strong grabs and seems quite athletic. Cleary had a big first quarter, gathering plenty of contested possessions, but perhaps didn't really go on with it. While Snell looks a very nimble 194cm back man.

Probably all the defence played well: Francis, Hamling, Magor and Edwards. Perhaps the highlight was Edwards taking a kick out from the goalsquare and almost hitting the centre circle on the full.

While in the forward line, Konstanty did some useful things and Reid looked pretty sharp in his first game since 2022.
    Thanks!!

Promising early reports re Snell, noting we need to keep developing key defenders.

Sent from my SM-A346E using Tapatalk

Pushing for Selection
    Pictures from the game: Swans Coburg VFL - Paul Carter

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Perhaps the highlight was Edwards taking a kick out from the goalsquare and almost hitting the centre circle on the full.
    Not even wind assisted, an absolute bomb - pity we didn't retain posesssion.

Ladhams had a very good game, 4 goals and plenty of posessions. His towering speccie in the first quarter was wonderfull. His high speed run and baulk down the wing in the fourth was llikewise spectacular. His 30 metre defensive spoil while in the forward line provided a moment of levity - did he forget which way we were kicking?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 25th March 2024 at 09:18 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Fab pics as always ootf
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Not even wind assisted, an absolute bomb - pity we didn't retain posesssion.

Ladhams had a very good game, 4 goals and plenty of posessions. His towering speccie in the first quarter was wonderfull. His high speed run and baulk down the wing in the fourth was llikewise spectacular. His 30 metre defensive spoil while in the forward line provided a momwnt of levity - did he forget which way we were kicking?
    And some of the above pictures do capture how willingly Ladhams threw himself into marking contests.

Veterans List
    From the Swans website

'Youngster Caleb Mitchell, who captained the side for the day, also slotted a goal from 10 marks, as well as finishing with team-highs in disposals (30) and clearances (nine)'

Looking forward to a senior debut this year for Caleb who also has high endurance, which is always a good trait in the modern game

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast