I think the above commentary demonstrates the amount of respect and adulation that Swans fans have for Parker. It reminds me of the downplaying we do when our children misbehave at school. We find a way to downplay or excuse their behaviour.

People on here are finding a way to excuse Parker. I saw the incident as the actions of an internally frustrated man who is struggling to cope with his current situation. Parker at his best with a clear state of mind goes straight for that ball at full pace. He either picks it up or he paddles it towards the boundary line. In this instance he slows down, turns towards the Franston player who was 8 meters away from the disputed ball and delivers a hit. The Swans didn’t have possession.

The fact that people are saying that Parker has a good record and is not a dirty player tells us that this action was born of pure frustration and anger.

I think Parker needs fresh air and a new start with a team that will appreciate what he has to give at this stage of his career. It feels like Barry Hall at the end of 2009. He went to the Bulldogs and had two enjoyable years there where he played really well.