Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Academy games 2024

The Allies kicked away in the last to win 70-50. Lombard made sure of BOG with the goal of the day, where he went for a dash through the middle, threw in a party trick along the way, then kicked truly from about 40 out. He also set up Harrison for the clinching goal, with a slick handball around about the 50.

Harrison had a pretty good game, kicking a couple of goals when forward and being competitive when given a chance in the middle.

I thought Cochran was the best of the Swans contingent today. He won most of his contests, largely through spoiling and/or beating his opponents to the loose ball. He was also involved in plenty of launches out of defence: to varying degrees of success. Sometimes he hit advantageous targets, a couple of times he made unforced turnovers. Though I don't think the coach would've been too upset, as he was definitely trying to make things happen, and the Allies did appear to be trying to play run and gun. He also reminded me a bit of Connor O'Sullivan, who impressed with the Allies last year. I suspect Cochran is a touch quicker and has the better leap, while O'Sullivan was probably more assured with ball in hand.

The other Swans also did pretty well. Andreacchio and Carmichael often used the ball to advantage when coming out of defence and both were entrusted with the kick ins. While Chamberlain played a bit of key forward in the second half, after previously playing in defence and wing. He did a few nice things, but unfortunately thumped the ball into the post, aft

Whoops, accidentally pressed 'post'. I'll continue.

...after getting a free on the edge of the goal square.

Apart from Lombard, a number of other Allies impressed. Uwland was assured moving the ball out of defence and will almost certainly join his brother at the Suns in the 2025 draft. Likewise Annable for the Lions, who won some tough midfield contests and generally hit the mark with his possessions.

Dilana from the Giants seems to have some nice skills and might be drafted by them this year. As with Marshall for the Lions; if they've got a few points left over, after matching a bid for F/S Ashcroft.

And finally, I thought Shanahan looked a decent KPF prospect. He took some strong grabs and his kicking seemed reliable.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

And finally, I thought Shanahan looked a decent KPF prospect. He took some strong grabs and his kicking seemed reliable.
    Last week I was quite excited by the Allies' skipper Murphy - a NSWelshman but from the non-academy aligned Murray region. But he struggled to get into the game today, and Shanahan looked more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Last week I was quite excited by the Allies' skipper Murphy - a NSWelshman but from the non-academy aligned Murray region. But he struggled to get into the game today, and Shanahan looked more dangerous.
    Another guy who I thought had a good game was big, boofy defender, Cooper Bell, but I didn't mention him before, because I'm not sure if he has the speed to be drafted? But who knows, perhaps he could eventually develop into the next Sam Collins; who had another very strong game for the Suns today.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Another guy who I thought had a good game was big, boofy defender, Cooper Bell, but I didn't mention him before, because I'm not sure if he has the speed to be drafted? But who knows, perhaps he could eventually develop into the next Sam Collins; who had another very strong game for the Suns today.
    Bell's not quite in the open draft as a member of the Giants' academy. Though they're pretty stacked in defence so might not consider him.

I agree he had a good game, but I don't think WA had a particularly dangerous tall forward so it was hard to assess his one-on-one contest competence.

Senior Player
    I note that 4 of our players in the Allies have "ch" in their names. I will have to consult the universe about this.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Bell's not quite in the open draft as a member of the Giants' academy. Though they're pretty stacked in defence so might not consider him.

I agree he had a good game, but I don't think WA had a particularly dangerous tall forward so it was hard to assess his one-on-one contest competence.
    As I've heard KB say many times when he's not rating a tall "tell me who they played on"

The Rookie Me scouting notes for the latest Allies game. Joel Cochran is the only Swans player mentioned, but I did think our other four did pretty well.

Scouting Notes: 2024 AFL U18s - Allies vs. Western Australia - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345